WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After years of owning lots of older, non-collectible watches, I made a significant shift in my watch collecting. I sold/traded all of my watches and started a new collection, one watch from the 60s, 70s and and 80s decades. I now have an eye for what I like, admire, etc. Also, starting over has opened my eyes to all new types of watches. The agenda I am following on my new collection is: No batteries, automatic movements preferred, stainless steel, divers, etc. Case in point, I never thought I'd want a Russian watch, now that my collection is starting over I am looking forward to a Vostok...

60's: Hamilton Super compressor (weekend out on the town watch)
70s: Helbros Invicible manual (weekend active watch)
80s: Rolex submariner 16800 (Workweek, and whenever else)

60s.jpg 70s.jpg 80s.jpg

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Michael Korda writes about collectors switching collection objectives. It is apparently not uncommon. And it follows your pattern, collect, change, sell, collect under the new objectives.

My tastes have evolved... but the idea of selling off past watches I've collected bothers me. It is like selling my pets! LOL

Reactions: CharlieTHEmaltese

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I can appreciate that. Selling the old collection allowed me to pickup a Rolex submariner from 1984, with a fresh/documented Rolex service. After wearing the Rolex the last two months it was definitely worth it to clear our the old watch drawer. I gave a few others to my dad, these are the ones that needed to stay in the family: 80's TagHeuer Professional green, Timex (rolex homage), and a new St. Moritz/eta movement watch. The old man really likes these, so he can enjoy them while I restart my watch hunt..

I still don't have a proper chronograph, that's on the list as well....

Great site you guys have here....

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I just collect watches I like, but do like watch movements from other countries. One day I looked at my small collection and thought they all seem to be swiss made then I bought a seiko and a great russian sekonda watch etc. But I still cant bring myself to sell any of them to own another

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I added a 90's watch to the collection. It's my weekend watch, great looking dial, fits nice, and really good price point compared to some models
mine1.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts