WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

a couple of people requested in another thread that I post this. I just picked up this 60's Omega pocket watch issued to the (now defunct) New South Wales Government Railways.

The movement is cal. 161 with a serial dating it to approximately 1966. In addition to the NSWGR printed dial, the back of the case has been engraved with what I assume to be an internal asset number.

Hope it's interesting.

Cheers,

Craig

Attachments

Reactions: busmatt and bubba48

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Interesting. This must be one of Omega's last pocket watches...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Very interesting. Now you need to research the fact that Australian railroads had official railroad time service watches. The movement looks to be in good shape, but is not of the highest grade Omega could have delivered. Please update when you know more.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,213 Posts
Very interesting. Now you need to research the fact that Australian railroads had official railroad time service watches. The movement looks to be in good shape, but is not of the highest grade Omega could have delivered. Please update when you know more.
Quoting from What to Collect? :

In conclusion, here is an example of what, in my opinion, is a perfect watch to collect - especially if you are on a tight budget.

The New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR) was the department in charge of the NSW Government's railways from 1855 to 1972. After a major railway incident that occurred in the US, the NSW Government ordered that every train driver and station master to be issued with a precision time-keeper - a pocket watch. Batches of railroad watches were ordered from the American Watch Company - Waltham, Massachusetts as the NSWGR expected only the best railroad watch money can buy for their staff.

Every issued pocket watch in NSW had its individual number engraved on the case back and some examples also had the owner's name. In addition, train drivers were also issued with a gun, bearing the same number as one engraved on their watch. Indeed, those times were turbulent.

Here is a photo of the NSWGR pocket watch from the year 1901.

Since my arrival in Australia, I have personally worked on not more than 3 or 4 examples of the NSW issued railroad watches for overhaul purposes. As you might imagine, those time pieces are fairly rare nowadays, but those who know what they are looking for can still find good working examples of the NSW issues railroad watches.

But that is not all: If luck is on your side, you might even find one NSW GR watch for under $500! So what more could you ask for? A great watch with a great history, fitted with a superbly manufactured mechanism at a bargain price! And enjoyment and satisfaction of doing research on such a fascinating subject is a priceless experience in itself.
And from a completed ebay auction description:

You are dealing with a retired watchmaker,gemologist and spare parts re-seller.:
Original and GENUINE . antique omega pocket watch , new south wales railway official train timer , , white enmial dial with sub seconds , orignal blue steel hands, .,, signed omega N S W TD , swiss made , , movement cal 161 omega swiss 15 jewels back case GR12691 see pic for details ,,, running not tested or timed .
Winding: crown
Metal: nickle steel
Measurements: 50 mm approx
Case Reference: 121 1716
Overall Condition : , . SEE pic for details ,
Notes: 100% Original clear out time suit use or collection

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Can you tell me what w w means on the back of my 161 omega nsw gr means
I have zero experience with the Omega version, but have researched the Waltham version quite a bit(and finally managed to buy one last summer). I believe that it was the initials of the person to whom the watch was assigned.

(gratuitous photos)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Hmmm, I think I have one of these somewhere - will look and dig it out.

Here we go - Omega - marked NSW TD for Transport Department. Apparently things could be marked with either this or GR - from mirrors to carriage seats. It is marked inside on the curvette with 1944 - so late WWII issue. Some discussion on the names here: NSWTD...What does it stand for? (Page 1) / New South Wales / Forums / Railpage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts