WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

60th Anniversary SBGP 015 Review (Personal Watch History Included)

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mangoonastick 
#1 ·
My third GS since 2005, and my first acquisition since the Tudor BB Heritage Blue two years ago.

I have worn the GS Spring Drive Diver in Titanium as my daily wearer for the last two years- which I like except for the giant stamped metal clasp that takes up half of the underside of my wrist. I was looking for something slightly smaller that was more dressy.

Went to see Rob at Topper's who I have been working with for 9 years. I had a 2005 Japan domestic-only quartz GS that was given to me as a gift from a Japanese company when I finished my first large biotech deal. So I was an early fan of the brand and have been commuting to Japan since 2003 so I have been familiar with them before they came to the US and Europe.

The 2005 watch is wonderful with a great bracelet-but no lume. I look at my watches more in the middle of the night than during the day so I wasn't wearing it much. The transaction for the SBGP 015 involved the 2005 model, and a German pilot chronograph, that also has some unique advantages, but I wasn't wearing..

Ok on to the watch....This REALLY pops in person. The whole thing is how the polished markers, and the brushed and polished hands sparkle in contrast to the deep blue sunburst dial and the unique blue ceramic bezel. I wanted something that didn't have a diving bezel. It's nearly a $4000 quartz watch you might say- but easily exceeds the fit and finishing of my past Datejust.

Again, this watch needs to be seen in person- even with the plastic wrap over the dial at the store, you can't tell how it plays with the light. Although the hands are thin, the lume works well. Much better than the Datejust 36 did. This watch is 40MM and the dial is clean. The only easily visible writing is the GS and Grand Seiko in the same color as the markers . Depth rating, magnetism, etc is saved for the back. I was skeptical when people have claimed that GS hands are polished so well that in low to no light you can see them without lume; in this case it is true-although there is a touch of lume on the hands and a thin line of it on each marker. It's almost not required.

It wears well- I like big watches on my small wrist but this is just right. The case is highly angular with contrasts between brushed and Zaratsu polished surfaces. Mostly brushed but the angles and contrasts are another star of the show.

The movement is the new 9F85 that has the jumping hour adjustment- again important for me as I commute to Japan. Being quartz with a stated 50 yr servicing level (except for battery changes) works for me as Grand Seiko Spring Drive, Hi-Beat and other automatic repairs and service can take many months- this one will probably not need to go that route.

The bracelet is 3 links wide and being in steel will likely scratch less than the titanium GS ones. 166 grams which is about the same as Titanium GS diver- wears light.

Separately, and without prompting, I think the Topper dudes have been KILLING it the last couple of years. I am fortunate enough to live 2 miles away from the store. The meetups, their use of social media, the partnerships with the watch community are all spot on. When we go back to in-person life, the meet-ups with the attendant special speakers, food, drink, etc are a classy way to spend a Saturday evening. This is in addition to the straight up service and consideration for the customers.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.