WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had a couple of customers watches come through my hands which, at least for one of them, had been described as "original + unmolested". A slight understatement to say the least. One thing to keep in mind is that some collectors focus on originality and some focus on cosmetics. So aftermarket parts are acceptable to some. Personally, I prefer original.
I'm all for a guide to help others out to know what to watch for and be able to spot the difference. The guide done by TY some years ago is informative but needs to be updated.

I'll start with this aftermarket dial: This fits a 6139-600X.

Two areas to check closely: The sub register indics don't come to the edge of the sub register ring and the lume on the dial indics is shiny and has a pronounced rounded edge. This edge is easy to spot on the 9 o'clock marker due to the reflection.

Now an Original dial:

Notice the sub register indics come to the edge of the sub dial register ring. The edge of the lume is harder to see but it is not shiny and has a sharper edge.

Here's another example of an aftermarket dial for a 6139-601X

This one's easy to spot. It has no frame around the day-date window and the color is a little off. One thing to consider is that some other 6139's don't have a frame around the date window but all 6139-601X's do.

This is an original dial:

Note the frame around the Day-Date window and the deeper blue color.

Hopefully this will help some of you spot the differences between aftermarket and original when it's a concern.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info. I really like these type of threads as I'd like to learn how better to spot originals.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great idea for a thread. I recently got bitten by the Pogue bug. With the pics side by side, it's easy to tell. Without reference, the obvious giveaway is the lack of Suwa logo, and the fine prints will always look ugly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts