WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been collecting watches few years (though i dont have a massive collection..) and i would really like to skeletonize own watch (eta 6498-1). I'm getting married and would like to celebrate it by "making" a watch to that theme (many details from the church etc). I have about 6 months time so im in no hurry (at least i'd like to think that :D)

i've been trying to search many websites (A Watchmaker's Diary etc), but i havent found any practical help in how thin can you skeletonize a 6498-1 (or any other) movement. and how can you do it without bending any important structures while you work it with a file. Especially i would appreciate some info how to do it properly. also is it a bad thing that metal scrapes go into jewel holes? any tips on wich tools people use would be much appreciated!

anyway im starting this project soon and will be publishing pics and info from it as soon as im getting them :D for my luck i have one spare 6497 movement so i can practice with that.

wish me luck! next post will be the design in paper.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Is it a bad thing to get burrs get into jewel holes? Yes, its a terrible thing. If you are buying a base 6498 and want to skeletonize it, then you are looking at completely breaking it down first - you can't re-do the plates/bridges while the thing is still together; you won't bend any important parts, because they will be nowhere near you while you are grinding/filing.
Most skeletonization work is done by machines - CNC routers, etc. Even what I think of doing one myself "by hand", I'd still be going to Mr. Dremel for assistance.

You have lots of room to work with though: these movements get worked down to >30% of the original plate size.

6497 skeleton.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot! with that and the watchmakers diary I know a lot more about skeletonizing! btw. is there anyone in europe who sells mobeus oils? because i think i have to clean and oil the watch after all work has been done... although at my first step ill only be working on the bridge so i dont need many different oils... but thanks a lot for the comments and help! I have really boring day in work today, so i can draw some designs for the watch today :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts