WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on getting an Oris Diver but not sure on the size. I had the original release at 40mm but I vaguely remember how it fit as it’s long gone. No pics either. I have a 7.25” wrist and I only recall it lies very flat. Should I up size to 42 or go back to the 40? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i very much prefer the 42. I had both on my wrist this weekend cause I'm hoping to add the diver's 65 as my next piece. The 40 felt too light and wore too small for my personal taste. The 42 at least had a little weight to it. My wrist is 6.75" but quite flat on the top as a reference.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The 40 gets my vote. Here’s why:

The watch wears great for a 40mm. The size harkens to Submariners before the super cases came along. A classic sized diver, but not a small watch either. It’s just right.

I tried the 42 once and thought it wore bigger than my Speedmaster Pro. At that point, it kind of loses the classic/cool vibe it masterfully creates.

Most aesthetically pleasing and comfortable case around this size I’ve ever worn.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Apologies for my phone seeming to hate the usage of apostrophes in the post above

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
I feel it works much better in the 40mm size.

More authentic to the original
The 40mm size wears larger than many other 40mm divers due to a thin bezel and oversized dial
Proportions feel much less bloated on the 40mm

Here's the 40mm on my 8 inch (at the time) wrist.

IMG_5397.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 7.25" wrist and I also vote for the 40mm. The 42mm is great, but there is just something about the dimensions of the 40mm that seem to work perfect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another vote for the 40. Better size and nicer dial

·
Registered
830 Posts
Another vote for 40mm. It's the most complementary to the classic vibe of this model. I've owned both and found the 42mm version too wide compared to the lugsize...the proportions are out of wack. Again...my personal observations and tastes.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the opinions.

Does anyone have a wrist shot with a 42?

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the opinions.

Does anyone have a wrist shot with a 42?

Thanks.
Here's another 42 wristie... On the Hodinkee x Oris r-Radyam strap.

Also 7.25" wrist. I find it very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's another 42 wristie... On the Hodinkee x Oris r-Radyam strap.

Also 7.25" wrist. I find it very comfortable.

My wrist size is the same and the watch here does not seem to over power. Do you find that it wears smaller or bigger?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Size is so personal it's hard to say. I love the 40mm version and consider that my "sweet spot". I also love how the Divers 65 lays on my wrist, much thinner than the specs would suggest. However, since you owned one and it didn't leave an impression with you, perhaps the 42mm is more your cup of tea? I like that Oris gave us a choice and it's not a huge spread like Rado (37mm and 45mm).

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wrist size is the same and the watch here does not seem to over power. Do you find that it wears smaller or bigger?

Thanks.
I do lean towards bigger watches (Tudor Black Bay, Speedmaster Pro, seiko sumo), so the 42 feels right at home to me... But it is a very personal preference..

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I got a chance a little while back to try both out

I have a 7in wrist and can wear a watch up to about 48mm without looking silly. But i mostly stick to 36mm to 42mm.

Both the 40mm and 42mm have a low enough profile and sit flat enough on the wrist to look good on most wrists. I do think the 40mm looks better on my wrist and gives it a classic vibe. However the large crystal and dial do give the 40mm and 42mm versions the appearance of being bigger. For instance I have a Edox Delfin Fleet 1650 diver which is 43mm in diameter. The 40mm Oris 65 looks just as big as the Delfin.

Oris gave the 65 such a good design that the watch actually looks bigger then it is

You cannot go wrong with ether but if you want one that is closer to the classic models then the 40mm is the one for you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts