WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<trying hard not to post a thread with a silly question>

Has anyone tried putting a DW6900 or a DW6600 strap on a 5600? I know 5600 straps have been used on 6900s several times but I didn't come across any posts where the reverse has been done. Visually, the both are similar but the 6900 straps have bigger ridges/grooves as compared to the 5600 strap - will it help the 5600 look more tough? Love to see if anyone has tried that mod?

IMG_20160211_175405_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
The design of 6900 band is like for a wider profiled wrist than the 5600 which tends to roll down immediately to the wrist..i may say its better to use 6900 band if you have wider wrist and 5600 band for narrow wrist.. Just my opinion though..

hawlrite!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The design of 6900 band is like for a wider profiled wrist than the 5600 which tends to roll down immediately to the wrist..i may say its better to use 6900 band if you have wider wrist and 5600 band for narrow wrist.. Just my opinion though..

hawlrite!
I get your point BeaVis, but there are of course the "wider" 6900 bands as I show inthe 1st pic below, but I am not referring to those. If you see the image I have posted, the 6900 band almost completely matches the 5600 band, I don't see any difference in the dimensions of the bands except for the ridges.

The wider 6900 straps:
51HdME6Li4L._UX342_.jpg

The normal 6900 straps:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The illustration is right reverse gshock. And the 1st picture sir kmbijit, they dont have difference at all. The wider band of 5600 has the same position of that wider band for 6900.. Nothing will change in the feel either you interchange those bands from each model. They sit identical on your wrist..

hawlrite!

·
Registered
166 Posts
But if you compare the narrow band of a 5600 to a wider band of 5600 or 6900, which are identical, they differ obviously..lol or the narrow 6900 band with the wide 5600/6900 band..✌✌✌

hawlrite!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The illustration is right reverse gshock. And the 1st picture sir kmbijit, they dont have difference at all. The wider band of 5600 has the same position of that wider band for 6900.. Nothing will change in the feel either you interchange those bands from each model. They sit identical on your wrist..
Not really....

But if you compare the narrow band of a 5600 to a wider band of 5600 or 6900, which are identical, they differ obviously..lol or the narrow 6900 band with the wide 5600/6900 band..✌✌✌
...and it might help if you could find some different words for all the uses of "wide" and "narrow" up there. :-d

The overall width of the straps is the same, when most of us talk about how wide or narrow a watch strap is:

straps at lugs 2.jpg

(6900 strap on left, 5600 in right in both pictures.)

The difference at the edge of the strap, as somewhat exaggeratedly illustrated by kcohS-G above, is that the 6900 strap's integrated "wings" push the strap a little farther away from the lugs and springbars than the 5600's strap does:

straps at lugs.jpg

It's not a HUGE difference, but the way the 6900 strap fits also pushes the strap farther away from the user's wrist, leading to the problem and solution in this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/skinny-wrist-strap-mod-less-strap-gap-more-flex-657372.html

...and is the reason behind threads like these: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw-m5600-dw5600-strap-gw-6900-a-726621.html and http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/am-i-first-guy-put-gw5000-strap-442767.html

5600 straps fit closer to the wearer's wrist, while 6900 straps fit farther away and can cause the "gap" mentioned in those two links. My GW-6900 straps also seem to be SLIGHTLY thicker than the DW-5600 strap, which only makes the problem worse. (If the 6900 strap were made of slightly thinner material, it might flex more and help offset the "gap.")

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike and Beavis, getting your point. 5600 straps would hug the wrist better and have a lower profile...but hey! I have a spare set of 6900 straps, so just maybe I'd try it and see the outcome. I assumed someone would have tried it before, but if nobody has done it before, then I'd try it at least once in the name of science... :d

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Are the two straps exactly the same LENGTH as listed in the catalog?
What "catalog" have you seen that shows the exact lengths of Casio straps, and where can the rest of us get one?!

Casio's strap packages include diagrams of the lug width and the widest part of the strap just outside the lugs, but they don't show the strap length either.

They're within a millimeter or so of each other in total length, but the holes for the buckles are slightly different -- the 6900 will fit a slightly larger wrist and the 5600 can fit a slightly smaller wrist:

5600 6900 3.jpg

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Thanks! The usual order sites will list mm lengths and when looking at pac I could not tell any difference. Your pictures are definitive and your effort is appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Mike and Beavis, getting your point. 5600 straps would hug the wrist better and have a lower profile...but hey! I have a spare set of 6900 straps, so just maybe I'd try it and see the outcome. I assumed someone would have tried it before, but if nobody has done it before, then I'd try it at least once in the name of science... :d
Tried it and it made my 5600 wider when i look at it on top of my wrist.. So I often suggest using the 6900 band to local guys here who wanna rock 5600 but have big wrists! But most of them end up using the band similar to the ms-1 which is a 'wide' strap all through the end of the band. They say its more secure than the classic band which they say 'too thin'.

hawlrite!

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Tried it and it made my 5600 wider when i look at it on top of my wrist.. So I often suggest using the 6900 band to local guys here who wanna rock 5600 but have big wrists! But most of them end up using the band similar to the ms-1 which is a 'wide' strap all through the end of the band. They say its more secure than the classic band which they say 'too thin'.

hawlrite!
So the band for the thick wrist guys is not the MS-1 band, but a similar band? Any other info?

·
Registered
166 Posts
What "catalog" have you seen that shows the exact lengths of Casio straps, and where can the rest of us get one?!

Casio's strap packages include diagrams of the lug width and the widest part of the strap just outside the lugs, but they don't show the strap length either.

They're within a millimeter or so of each other in total length, but the holes for the buckles are slightly different -- the 6900 will fit a slightly larger wrist and the 5600 can fit a slightly smaller wrist:

View attachment 7054129
Even the 5600 and 5000 bands differ a bit in length and hole placements, aside from their stiffness..ü also the dw5000 and gw5000 have slight diff.. As per experience looking for 'the most comfortable' band for me..👌👌

hawlrite!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I saw a guy wearing one once. I have to admit it caught my eye. I was probably the only one who noticed. It will look a little different, but I can't see any reason why it should be less pleasing aesthetically.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

hawlrite!
Thanks BeaVis! I accidentally forgot the 6900 band inside my office drawer so I couldn't carry out the mod, I'll check it out on Monday. But I did get the idea. Maybe you could post a wrist shot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks BeaVis! I accidentally forgot the 6900 band inside my office drawer so I couldn't carry out the mod, I'll check it out on Monday. But I did get the idea. Maybe you could post a wrist shot.
Too bad already gave up all my classic 6900 bands. But i can show you the classic band vs the modern (ms-1 like).
(1st picture)the classic tends to keep the watch look slimmer or smaller because it immediately bend down to your wrist, as per design by kikuo ibe because the vintage pieces also have the same design that after the lugs the band rolls down to the wrist to fit asian or smaller wristed guys. (2nd picture) While the newer or modern type of band makes the watch looks wider on the wrist due to its design that it extends further after the lugs before rolling down your wrist. Thus accomodating wider or bigger wristed guys.
1. The classic band as you can see there is less vent space on my wrist ( though the screwback already gave it more space because it has abit of height under the bezel compared to backplates)
2. See the ventilation space of the modern type of band (sn-1)?
1st watch gw5000 on dw5000 band
2nd watch gwx5600b on dw5600sn-1 band
So the band for the thick wrist guys is not the MS-1 band, but a similar band? Any other info?
If you have a thick wrist? I guess you need longer band. And i didnt compare yet the length of ms-1 band to the classic 5600 band or classic 6900band. IMO, if you want a stronger hold of your watch on your wrist use ms-1 band or similar style of band like the dw6900bw-1, dw5600sn-1 6900sn-1 all are matte black compatible to any matte bezel of 5600 or 6900.. Texture vary per model but not too much though..

hawlrite!

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Those pictures are fantastic and the info very informative. Great thread.

You've hit the nail on the head in another way too: yes, the "wide" stance helps thicker wrists, but the Casio offerings fall, well, um... short when it comes to band length.

I believe the 5600 is among the finest watches ever made. However, I have a thicker wrist, and I want to wear the watch outside a wet suit.

I've asked and searched and concluded I need to buy a strap for another diver and slice it just right to fit the narrow lugs. Meanwhile I've been rolling the suit sleeve up, which is fine.

Wish a longer band existed.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I wear a DW-6900 with a band from a DW-5600, because it fits better, and I liked the metal buckle. But I then put the 6900 band on the 5600, and it is surprisingly comfortable. And light. And it does not scratch my tablet.

So for me, the 6900 with 5600 band: win
and 5600 with 6900 band: also win. And it was "free".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts