Yesterday I had a genuine fever, the kind that reduces you to a bedridden, wheezing, sweating, shivering wreck. Twice while trying to message people to bring some groceries and medicines they commented that maybe my thinking was being influenced by my fever, as if they would cross the road, never mind town, to help me. Well, this collection of watches, while making me hot under the collar, is not the imaginings of a fevered mind. I think of these watches and I can feel my temperature rising.

Vacheron Constantin Historiques Cornes De Vache 1955

This stunning watch recreates the look of the 6087, a chronograph from 1955 – the golden age of chronograph wristwatches, and in fact, of Vacheron Constantin wristwatches. The name comes from the shape of the cow-horn lugs. The watch is powered by the VC Caliber 1142, which is the Caliber 1141 with Geneva Seal. The Caliber 1141 itself a VC modified derivative of the Lemania 2310.

Vacheron Constantin

Patek Philippe Jumbo Nautilus in rose gold Ref: 5711

Picture courtesy of Monochrome

The Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 ‘Jumbo’ is a sports watch designed by Gerald Genta, who developed the modern sports watch. He designed the Nautilus apparently on a napkin while having lunch with Patek Philippe executives at Baselworld. Along with the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, it remains two of his most enduring watch designs. I’d walk a mile over broken glass for any Nautilus, but with this combination of 18K rose gold and a chocolate brown dial, the Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 is for me, a real temperature raiser.

Patek Philippe

ALange & Söhne Richard Lange White Gold Boutique Edition

Until this 2013 release for boutiques only, this Richard Lange model was available only in yellow or rose gold, or platinum. Unlike the regular editions of the Richard Lange which have the hour and minute hands in gold to match the case metal, this boutique edition has all three hands in blued steel. Most Lange watches have gold hands for the hours and minutes; blued steel hands are relatively uncommon in the collection. In addition, the dial has an additional detail to distinguish it from the regular Richard Lange models: the minute markings at 15, 30, 45 and 60 are in blue. Like all Lange watches the movement is assembled not once but twice and polished to German perfection.

A.Lange & Sohne

Angular Momentum & Manu Propria Splendor Sangre

Picture ripped from Tempus Fugit

A controversial choice from Martin Pauli's Swiss maison Angular Momentum & Manu Propria. This irresistible fire engine red lacquered watch called the Splendor Sangre (sangre meaning blood) is simple as a pimple, a classic looking 42mm handmade timepiece, released in 2013 and probably no longer available, it's powered by the historic Fontainemelon FHF 74 manual winding movement.

Angular Momentum

HYT Skull Watch

By way of contemporary variety, the Skull Watch from cutting edge watchmakers HYT is aptly named, with a large skull taking center stage on the dial. It’s sort of a modern day memento mori(Latin for “remember you are mortal”), it has the added bonus of incorporating HYT’s proprietary liquid time display to really help set it apart from other skull watches. Well, they say you need plenty of fluids when you have a fever.

HYT

Voutilainen Masterpiece No 6

Kari Voutilainen, possibly the greatest living watchmaker, executed this watch without the slightest compromise and in keeping with the traditions and standards of the greatest of watchmakers. The movement decoration, from the bridges and the steelwork bevelling, the polishing of the recesses and the drawn grain finish on the bridge rims are all done entirely by hand. The bridge surfaces are adorned with ‘Geneva stripes’ and the mainplate with circular and snail graining.

Voutilainen believes a repeater should ring loudly and have a crystal clear sound. To achieve this he approached one of the master casemakers who still has the knowledge and employs the traditional methods used since the eighteenth century.

Voutilainen

Laurent Ferrier Galet Square Only Watch 2015

The Laurent Ferrier Galet Square was introduced at Baselworld 2015. It’s cushion shaped case is reminiscent of 1930s watches. For this Only Watch edition of the Laurent Ferrier Galet Square, the lugs have been changed by making them straight and they feature gold half spheres.

Laurent Ferrier

Which watches bring you out in a fever?