WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A little while ago I finally managed to track down the TT1 Date Lumi ive been searching for,

My question is, Should I have her serviced?

When I got it it was running a consistent 10-15 seconds fast each day, Which levelled out to a very pleasing 5 seconds fast a week! (Leaving it crown up at night to slow it down a tad)

After wearing it for a few months, a few bumps later and she is running 5 seconds slow every day!

Should I have her serviced? Its a standard SW200 Movement, but the thing worrying me is the caseback, ive heard horror stories of Titanium casebacks "Welding" Themselvs together due to lack of oxygen molecules between the layers, Yes it DOES happen. :-(

Thanks!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be the approximate cost of a service?

It wouldn't be a big overhaul as the thing is practically brand new, but waterproof seals and such I can understand deteriorating

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well, some saying that if the watch works you don't touch it,
Watchmakers saying that automatic watches need service every 5 years more or less
I say something in the middle is the right choice,
I had the same dilemma with a seastar 1000 bought it nos , I wore it for a year or so , I enjoy it and then service it

·
Registered
60,601 Posts
I do so hope you are wrong about titanium case backs since half of my collection is Ti. Gig is right. Some people go by the "if it aint bust don't fix it" rule whereas others will tell you it needs servicing regularly. I set off in the first (cheaper) camp but have changed sides to the "have it serviced camp". While it will be much cheaper not to have it done yet I would have it serviced now, the seals changed and the piece pressure tested. That way you will have peace of mind for the next 5 or so years. If you decide to take it in for a service take lots of photos of the watch on a current newspaper so that if the repairer does chew the back up you have proof that it was done by them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are some excellent posts from Archer watches (Al) that describe service intervals that I've read. If I recall, he doesn't seem to have a hard and fast rule, but service sooner rather than later is a good move. Worn regularly, around 5 years, but worn occasionally doesn't mean you can stretch it out to 15 years. For myself, I'm probably going to settle on around 7-8 years to service. Am thinking you're due for one.

Anything I've read about working with titanium suggests using an anti-galling compound or similar when assembling. I would think it should be fine if you get it serviced in the next year or so as it should be assembled with the correct lubricant from Oris.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You're going to need one sooner or later anyway, I'd go ahead and service it for the peace of mind... Congrats on your Oris!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for all the help!
Here's a picture is the devil in question

What would I be expected to pay for such a service? $100-$250?
It's a great looking watch that you'll want to keep for a long time!

To make that happen you'll want to get it serviced. A reputable jeweler will give you an estimate before work begins...so stop debating and give it some TLC.

P.S. TLC costs money

·
Registered
27,042 Posts
yeah, I agree, you should probably service it. You spent a decent amount of money on a decent watch, might as well take good care of it

·
Registered
38,520 Posts
Watchmaker, not jeweler.
It's a great looking watch that you'll want to keep for a long time!

To make that happen you'll want to get it serviced. A reputable jeweler will give you an estimate before work begins...so stop debating and give it some TLC.

P.S. TLC costs money

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Should I have her serviced? Its a standard SW200 Movement, but the thing worrying me is the caseback, ive heard horror stories of Titanium casebacks "Welding" Themselvs together due to lack of oxygen molecules between the layers, Yes it DOES happen. :-(
In my opinion, the TT1 is nicely runned-in. If its not inconvenience,a service and a regulation will definitely helps in the long term.
From a metalogy point of view, yes, Ti do fuse itself to another Ti surface if they are left untouch for a long long time.
But being a screw down case back and with a proper case back opener, the torque force ..... thats the least to worry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my opinion, the TT1 is nicely runned-in. If its not inconvenience,a service and a regulation will definitely helps in the long term.
From a metalogy point of view, yes, Ti do fuse itself to another Ti surface if they are left untouch for a long long time.
But being a screw down case back and with a proper case back opener, the torque force ..... thats the least to worry.
Ill look into it soon, Ive found that by winding it up fully by hand, it runs slower! by another 10 seconds per day with the same usage! Definitely something up

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'm in the minority, but I never send my watches for service unless there is a problem. I think it's a myth a watch needs service. Interesting though. I did send my Oris Titan in because it was an ebay purchase and I know it was a older version. It was running a bit fast so I figured why not and sent it to Oris service center here in USA. You know what they said, regulation only didn't require service !!! How they know that and the fact they were honest was a very nice surprise. There are plenty of threads on service requirements in the different forums and you will read two different schools of thought, I also think if your like me with a larger variety the 5 year window is overkill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts