WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version of this watch is my wife found it on Cape Cod at our house and she found it while weeding in the ivy bed in the front yard. Leather strap was rotted away but the watch started ticking as soon as it was picked up. It was the proverbial 'gold watch' for a retiree dated 1970. No idea how or when it ended up in the ivy.

We had the movement cleaned (this was around 1996)but the dial was untouched. It runs within +/- 5 seconds in 24hrs.

My question is the 'pimples' on the dial. I do not want the dial restored to as new but would like it cleaned up a bit if possible. The crystal comes off from the front(this is a monobloc 14k gold watch)and I have been contemplating getting a crystal remover as i also have a '60's Hamilton Thin o matic(?) with the same gold case.

Any thoughts? It is not terribly valuable but it has sentimental value.

My thanks in advance. Oh that is a hair at 1!

paul

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Paul, my thought is that I think it IS a nice valuable watch and I would get the dial redone. A solid gold LeCoultre should be worth a nice amount, and there wouldn't be too much for the dial restorer to mess up. The marks look like water damage to me so they are not going to just "clean up", but if you want to try, I would take a cotton swap and GENTLY see if you can wipe them off. Be careful...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would take it to a reputable watchmaker to have the dial cleaned first. If the watchmaker says those spots can't be removed by cleaning then I'd rather keep it in its original condition.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts. I really want to see th works so might open it up but I do not want a perfect dial. The watch is 43 yrs young. hoping a very light brushing nwill get most of it. Sitting in he ivy for who knows how long, rain, snow, heat affected the watch but when it was serviced, the works were fine. Think I will open it up nand see nwhat is there Hoping I can turn it upside down to gently work on the dial.

well any other thoughts, pass them along. Oh and is the stem splitfor removal?

paul

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the "pimples". My Omega 600 has 'em.

It would take an extremely damaged dial to get me to consider a redial for any of my watches.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Go ahead and get the watch dial re-done as I think it was re-done at some point in its history. The M's don't look right to me.

Here is an example of what it should look like (ignore the cross-hairs):

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts