WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hi to you all.

I've just joined this forum hate to kick off with a problem, but I am truly baffled.

I have been wearing my old Speedmaster quite a lot recently.

Was giving it a light clean today when the bracelet came apart at the fourth link from the six o'clock position. Thank God I wasn't wearing it when it happened!

I removed the link completely. Nothing broken, but the fitting of the two pins is not tight at all. I can pull it apart with my fingers quite easily.

There is no apparent damage to the two holes where the pins fit and the pins themselves are complete and have the splines at the ends.

I tested all the other links by trying to pull them apart and they seem OK.

The bracelet (stamped 633) is over 30 years old now, but I have had it checked out and serviced regularly by Omega in Bienne.

Seems strange that just one link would become loose.

Any thoughts please?

John

·
Registered
677 Posts
Work around the problem link? A replacement'll run about $100-150...

calypso Posts: 70s Speedmaster bracelet problem

Hello!​

I've just joined this forum hate to kick off with a problem, but I am truly baffled.
Welcome aboard!​

Nothing at all wrong with that!​

Was giving it a light clean today when the bracelet came apart at the fourth link from the six o'clock position. Thank God I wasn't wearing it when it happened!
Agreed, that's a frightening experience.​

I removed the link completely. Nothing broken, but the fitting of the two pins is not tight at all. I can pull it apart with my fingers quite easily.
Is there anyway you can work around the problem? Remove the link with the play in them and soldier on?

There is no apparent damage to the two holes where the pins fit and the pins themselves are complete and have the splines at the ends.
Splines? Hmmm... Ok...​

OK...​

The bracelet (stamped 633) is over 30 years old now, but I have had it checked out and serviced regularly by Omega in Bienne.
Hmmm... Well, you could contact Omega about it. Or you could simply buy a new replacement bracelet from Frei.com or contact me and I'll refer you to a seller who'll set you up with an Omega replacement bracelet.​

Well, weakest link in the chain I guess.​

Any thoughts please?
If you can work around the suspect links [if you havethe length to eliminate those links, that's a solution. A 1171 replacement bracelet will go for about $100-150 from the sources I mentioned previously.​

John
Please feel free to contact me [via email link below] and I'll be happy to share with you my bracelet sources...

Cheers and Welcome Aboard!

-- Chuck​

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Any thoughts please?

John
the simplest solution is some locking paint.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Chuck.

I never thought about eliminating the loose link. I tried doing just that but I now have two loose links.:)

Looks to me like Omega use some kind of adhesive (Loctite?) during assembly.

This would explain how one link could suddenly become loose enough to fail completely.

I think I'd better play it safe and take it to Rolex rather than risk losing the watch.

John

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Thank you very much Chuck.

I never thought about eliminating the loose link. I tried doing just that but I now have two loose links.:)

Looks to me like Omega use some kind of adhesive (Loctite?) during assembly.

This would explain how one link could suddenly become loose enough to fail completely.

I think I'd better play it safe and take it to Rolex rather than risk losing the watch.

John
the splines indicate it's an interference fit. if the pins are loose then either they or the link is warn. it might be that you can find a better fit if you swap the pins and links about but you say the splines are undamaged which indicates just the link is warn, so that probably won't work. i still think your best option is the locking paint, as i previously suggested.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
The simplest solution is to buy a new bracelet

damn thing is worn out. The holes and pins are shot. The thing is 30 years old by your estimate. Bite the bullet and buy a new one. The old has served you well, cut it some slack and retire it. Risk loosing that watch
for a couple of hundred bucks.....I think not.
Get off some bucks, quit being cheap and get a bracelet.
By the way, why in the hell would you take it to Rolex?
jim

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Yeah, I think Jim has the right idea, John. That's an old bracelet, and if a couple links have failed, you can bet that more are soon to follow.

You mentioned that the bracelet is marked "633," but I have a feeling that the end pieces are, indicating it's likely a ref.1171 bracelet. Your local AD can probably order you a new one, or you can pick one up from somewhere like Otto Frei for under $100. It'll be virtually identical to the one you have, and it might last you another 30 years.

Good luck and do stick around!

eric

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Re: The simplest solution is to buy a new bracelet

John

That's a joke, right?....................David

·
Registered
9,532 Posts

John

That's a joke, right?....................David
Yeah, I noticed that, too, David. Figured the new guy was trying to start a flame war. Just kidding. At least for me, the closer we get to Christmas, the more my brain shuts down. It's not bad.

eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

damn thing is worn out. The holes and pins are shot. The thing is 30 years old by your estimate. Bite the bullet and buy a new one. The old has served you well, cut it some slack and retire it. Risk loosing that watch
for a couple of hundred bucks.....I think not.
Get off some bucks, quit being cheap and get a bracelet.
By the way, why in the hell would you take it to Rolex?
jim
Whoa, steady there Jim.

The watch may be 30 years old, but it hasn't been used that much.

I have searched the net for a replacement, but all the 1171 bracelets I can find have the Omega logo inside an indented square. Mine is an earlier model without the square.

It is not a question of being cheap. My Speedmaster is serviced regularly by Omega in Bielle (I live in Geneva), and the bracelet was serviced two years ago (also in Bielle). This included the replacement of three links. I can assure you that these services are anything but cheap.

Did I say Rolex? Must have been because I was wearing my 80s Datejust when I wrote my reply to Chuck.:-d

·
Banned
4,738 Posts

Whoa, steady there Jim.

The watch may be 30 years old, but it hasn't been used that much.

I have searched the net for a replacement, but all the 1171 bracelets I can find have the Omega logo inside an indented square. Mine is an earlier model without the square.

It is not a question of being cheap. My Speedmaster is serviced regularly by Omega in Bielle (I live in Geneva), and the bracelet was serviced two years ago (also in Bielle). This included the replacement of three links. I can assure you that these services are anything but cheap.

Did I say Rolex? Must have been because I was wearing my 80s Datejust when I wrote my reply to Chuck.:-d
I had a new Ford that sat in the driveway for 30 years and it was never driven.
It was still a piece of junk.
I was also teasing you, and sorry if you took it the wrong way.
That bracelet is worn. Its just too nice a watch to risk loosing it.
I would look around and see if I could locate the correct bracelet
and make sure nothing happened to my watch. If Omega replaced
links and pins, you can bet there is wear on that bracelet.
Welcome to the Omega forum. Let us know what you do
with that junker bracelet.
jim

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
try the locking paint. it holds critical parts on cars so it should have no problem with holding a pin in a worn link. enough said, i think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts