WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have found myself drawn to watches from the decade that taste forgot. It seems to me that after the 50s and 60s where you could have any watch as long as it was round and about 34mm diameter (yes I know the Speedy was around then but you know what I mean) suddenly all the rules of case design could be broken.

So I came across this square beauty while trawling Chrono24. It is a NOS Seamaster ST 166.0138 with cal. 1012 from 1973. It even came with the original strap and tag. I love the brushed and polished surfaces on the case, the raised index markers and applied logo and the cool Seamaster logo on the back.

Here are some Q&D pics complete with thumb print.

I must make mention of the seller Ron Otten from the Netherlands. A true gentleman. It was a pleasure to deal with him. :-!

Now I just have to wait for a new strap to arrive because you can't go around wearing 34 year old minty straps can you! :roll:

Feel free to contribute other examples of that funky 70s style.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Very nice, antistatic. It seems that 70s style is either love it or leave it. I love those funky, chunky designs. Here are a few of mine.

eric

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Here you go...

All obviously non-Omega, but from the era.

And my Omega's...

Still waiting for this one to come back from Omega.

My girlfriends wears this everyday.

And for the sheer hell of it, a buddies Megasonic 720hz...

Lovely Seamaster you've got there, congrats!

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
you wanna see off the wall ... look up any bullhead especially my old favorite Seiko 6138-0040 Blue Black , Oh how i miss it

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Did someone say 1970's?

Here's the lastest. Please excuse the camphone pic:

Looks 1960's, but really made in 1975, with a cal. 1011.

My other funky one, complete with mustard yellow velour box:

Have a nice day,

gatorcpa

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great stuff guys.

Eric & Joe, you both know I recently fell for the charms for the 176.007 but I missed out while trying to justify the sellers inflated price.

It is still on my list. It will make a great companion to my TV style Seamaster.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Funny Antistatic, I think I know the previous owner of this beautiful Seamaster.
In fact I even had this beauty on my wrist for a few minutes...;-)

It was recently serviced by Ferrie Schweitzer.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
If the one you are referring to was one recently offered on TZ then I agree - it was a bit inflated. I have seen a few go for more reasonable prices on eBAY...

Great stuff guys.

Eric & Joe, you both know I recently fell for the charms for the 176.007 but I missed out while trying to justify the sellers inflated price.

It is still on my list. It will make a great companion to my TV style Seamaster.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the one you are referring to was one recently offered on TZ then I agree - it was a bit inflated. I have seen a few go for more reasonable prices on eBAY...
Not the one on TZ but via Chrono24 with an even more inflated price (and no bracelet). The dial was in very good nick though. One day the stars will align b-)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Omega is out of my league right now but I do have a NOS Tissot that I like very much. Any Zodiac with mystery dial is also exeptional.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
David, I was hoping you would bring that beast out. |>

Have you learned how to use all the calculator functions?
yea, believe it or not my dad still had the papers and the manual on how to use a slide rule. I know how to multiply, divide and figure percent. It comes in handy if you wanna figure a tip on your bar tab. ;-) - David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts