WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this YouTube video of the Breguet Type XXII from Baselworld 2010 - the seconds hand sweep seems so smooth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ii-KCpftK0

I wonder if Chopard has plans to make watches with the same beat (10 Hz/72000 bph) frequency, since they were the first to reveal that kind of escapement in 2009 ...

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's not sped up, one revolution of the chronograph seconds hand is completed in 30 seconds, it takes 2 revolutions to count to a minute. Don't know why Breguet did that ...

You'll notice that there's a pointer in the 0/30/60 window below "12", that indicates whether the chrono seconds is between 0-30 or 30-60 (and moves as the seconds advance as well).

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wonder if they're using dry lube like Zenith did for the El Primero (Molybdenum bi-sulfide base) or if they're using proprietary self-lubricating materials ... hmm, don't think conventional lubes can be used, especially around the balance wheel and hairspring assembly. Wonder if the recommended service interval is the same as for a regular 4 Hz watch, too ...

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
To be honest with a second hand that small, its hard to tell the difference between a regular beat 4hz vs the high beat 10hz. Now if it was a huge dial with a long second hand, then absolutely the smoother beat can be seen.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Doesn't really do anything for me. Not to impressed by the movement at all.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest with a second hand that small, its hard to tell the difference between a regular beat 4hz vs the high beat 10hz. Now if it was a huge dial with a long second hand, then absolutely the smoother beat can be seen.
I agree, it's only when the chrono is running that you can see the smooth seconds sweep.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Anything over 5 Hz is kind of a waste of time, human reaction time will introduce far greater errors in timing an event.

A quarter of a second is really all the better a human can time to.

Also, due to persistance of vision (see the Rolex v Omega sweep thread) anything faster that 6 Hz will appear to the human eye just as smooth.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I found this YouTube video of the Breguet Type XXII from Baselworld 2010 - the seconds hand sweep seems so smooth!

I wonder if Chopard has plans to make watches with the same beat (10 Hz/72000 bph) frequency, since they were the first to reveal that kind of escapement in 2009 ...
Good Lord now my 28,8 are too slow. Not o mention my 21,6k seikos and think of panerai with ther 18k! Heck even the EP at 36k is doubled...

I want that watch.:p:p:p:p:p

That

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoot, I've been so stupid and I didn't realize it! The Type XXII chrono makes one rev. of 30 seconds at 72000 bph and my El Primero makes one rev. of 60 seconds at 36000 bph. Everything else being equal (inertia of seconds hand, length of hand, etc.) the seconds sweep of the chrono hands of the two movements must appear equally smooth ... DoH!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I guess the accurancy is really good. If not, a waste of effort and tech.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,075 Posts

Other than having bragging rights for the biggest bph number I don't see the purpose.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Now That's smooth

But i question the 30 second chronograph seconds hand.... wouldn't that make it confusion to read? and if it was a full 60 second sweep it would arguably move smoother than it does already
The one sweep in 30 second dial I can understand.

By making the second hand sweep 30 seconds, the distance between the tick marks doubles, so subdividing into ten parts is possible.

·
Registered
263 Posts
By making the second hand sweep 30 seconds, the distance between the tick marks doubles, so subdividing into ten parts is possible.
Ahh~ that makes sense, to be able to time to the tenth of a second

Me neither, 36000 bph is already smooth as that to the eye. It's simply a marketing ploy.
So i guess the decrease in smoothness when doubling the distance the second hand has to travel is compensated by doubling the beat frequency speed

are 72000 bph automatics more accurate after regulation?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts