WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I received this Lord Matic, and while I'm in love with the aesthetics, there seems to be a problem. After fully winding it by hand and wearing it a bit, I noticed the second hand would stop seemingly at random, both off and while on my wrist when not very active. A little sudden nudge would get it moving again. I made sure it was running and fully wound when I left it face up overnight and found it still running in the morning but more than an hour behind. When laid on its side opposite the crown it stops after a few minutes. I was laying down with the 12 tilted down and it stopped. I know the 5606 is notorious for having a bad day-date function but this one's quick set works fine. I would open it up, but I can't get the case back off because it says open thru glass. Should I take it to get serviced? Would it need a new main spring or just a service? How much would I have to pay for each of those, on average?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hard to say really, could be a mainspring binding up. Dust, dirt, or debris. A bent wheel or missing gear teeth, loose bridge, or even cracked jewel.

I'd take it to a watchmaker to have it checked out if you aren't comfortable opening it up and looking it over yourself.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Also possibly a seconds hand catching on the crystal, but that would usually be in the same place(s) and not at random.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
It obviously needs some type of cleaning and service. It shouldn't be more then$125, if that. I remember there is a guy in Tennessee that has a service called Saving Old Seikos, or SOS. You might try googling him for an opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It obviously needs some type of cleaning and service. It shouldn't be more then$125, if that. I remember there is a guy in Tennessee that has a service called Saving Old Seikos, or SOS. You might try googling him for an opinion. Good luck
Ouch, I only spent $70 on the watch... Might have to return it in that case. I'll call up a few watchmakers... Know of any in the DM(V) or Blacksburg areas?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ouch, I only spent $70 on the watch... Might have to return it in that case.
Welcome to the world of vintage watches! Most of my vintage pieces cost me significantly less than they did to service them. It's a bit of an economic conundrum, but then again, nobody gets into this hobby to make money.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also possibly a seconds hand catching on the crystal, but that would usually be in the same place(s) and not at random.
That's it! When I actually took note of where it would stop when on its side, I noticed it stopped at about 4 or 5 spots consistently. Makes sense considering it works fine when flat with gravity doing its job. Just need to figure out how to take the lens off myself. Thanks for all the help, everyone. Glad I get to keep it without much more expense.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If that's the issue it probably has a loose, or missing, screw holding the movement in the case. If you can, open it up and show us a pic of the movement.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Your Seiko Lordmatic is a one piece case that you access the movement by removing the crystal. To remove the crystal look at the bezel ring, you will see a tiny slit. Put a thin knife in to it and twist. The bezel will pop off. You can now remove the crystal. Around the date area is a little tab. Push the tab in with one hand and pull the crown out(as if you are setting the watch) and the crown/stem should come out.

To put the crystal trim ring back on you will need a crystal press.

I will be honest with you, I think the watch needs a good service. It is from 1973. A service my way(Maryland) goes for about $150-$200. A service should be always factored in. Those LM/5606 (Seiko offered non Lordmatic 560X series watches) are getting scarce and expensive to buy. Working ones with a working quickset date go for a pretty penny. Yours looks to be in great shape so spending money to service it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be honest with you, I think the watch needs a good service.
Thanks for all the info, it's really helpful. I figured that was the case (pun intended) regarding opening it up. I'll definitely keep it but I don't know when I'll have the money to service it, for now I'm a dead broke high school senior that needs money for an international music tour. Probably shouldn't have even bought it in the first place if I had known what I was getting into haha. Should I just let it sit until I can take it to get serviced, probably this summer? I think I trust myself enough to open it up and get some pics of the movement and get the second hand to stop snagging but if it's better to just have it all done at the same time I can wait.

...I've had that as my profile pic for half a decade....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would definitely recommend a service. It's tempting to open it up, but they are obviously super fragile, and this isn't a cheap, no-name watch. I would just stop running it until you can have it serviced. At least you would have some peace of mind.
I must say congratulations, but also warn you for getting into Seiko. Seiko's are more addicting than most brands. I'm a senior in college and I just got into them a few years ago. I have a rare vintage Seiko that I ended up waiting almost a year to send it and wait for the service to until I first wore it. I wanted to be sure I was preserving it, and now I feel better knowing it's in tip-top shape. I know it's tough though. Just wait until college. Haha. Some of my college textbooks cost as much as a servicing. It's killer.

Reactions: Chirv

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would just stop running it until you can have it serviced.
Guess that's what I'll do, keep my tinkering to old Russians. Already dropped and busted a komandirskie movement when trying to get some dust from behind the lens (not the blue one). Guess I shouldn't work late at night when I'm tired haha. Didn't realize at the time how special this Lord Matic really is though... Guess it deserves better than my hands working on it. I'll survive a few months. And concerning college, tell me about it - I go to a private hs and some of my textbooks already cost more than most of my watches. Debt, here I come!

...I've had that as my profile pic for half a decade....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts