WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a Doxa yet, but I've been thinking more and more about one, being a Clive Cussler and sports watch fan. How is the 750T's lume? Say, compared to a Rolex sport watch with a maxi-dial. That's my basis of comparison. From the photos, it looks like the Doxa's daytime legibility is fantastic! I must say, a few years ago, this wasn't as much of an issue!

--GregNYC

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,628 Posts
I don't have a Doxa yet, but I've been thinking more and more about one, being a Clive Cussler and sports watch fan. How is the 750T's lume? Say, compared to a Rolex sport watch with a maxi-dial. That's my basis of comparison. From the photos, it looks like the Doxa's daytime legibility is fantastic! I must say, a few years ago, this wasn't as much of an issue!

--GregNYC
In all reality, Doxa's Lume varies. On my GMTs the lume is fantastic. Glows like a torch after being in the sunlight. Several of my other 750T models have good lume but not as good as the GMTs. I have over 10 Doxas to compare, so I have a good idea what they have on them. Actually, my 750T Pro has the faintest lume of all. Funny thing is the fact that some people's 750T Pros have fairly good lume. Mine looks fantastic during the day:-!

Personally, I would not let that issue of lume put me off from buying one though. It has enough other good qualities to make it a worthwhile ;-)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Disclaimer - My info is very limited and biased since I don't own both brands.

I have two friends with Rolexes. One owns a Rolex Submariner, and one has an Explorer II. Both of them commented on how bright the DOXA lume is. I hope this helps. Incidentally, this may be normal, but I've noticed that when I wake up around 5:30 or 6:00AM each morning, my watch is still pretty bright, definitely brighter than I expected.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I would have to agree with Jason. I wouldn’t let lume make or break me from buying a watch. For me the lume is just fine.

I do however have an Omega. When I was wearing this I would charge it before going to bed at night under a light bulb for one minute. I remember my wife complaining that it was like a beacon. b-) It lit up the area I laid in. And, that is no lie.

So Doxa if you are reading find out what the boy’s at Omega use and get some of that stuff. :-d

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would have to agree with Jason. I wouldn’t let lume make or break me from buying a watch. For me the lume is just fine.

I do however have an Omega. When I was wearing this I would charge it before going to bed at night under a light bulb for one minute. I remember my wife complaining that it was like a beacon. b-) It lit up the area I laid in. And, that is no lie.

So Doxa if you are reading find out what the boy’s at Omega use and get some of that stuff. :-d
Yeah, good point. Lume wasn't important to me until I started seeing people talk about it a lot. During my initial research, it wasn't even on my list of "Must Haves." My Caribbean GMT seems pretty bright, either way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My Doxa Sub 600T had decent enough Lume but it was nothing compared to my Seiko diver (now sold), this thing glowed even in daylight! -

From what i have heard, Omegas and Seikos are among the best for strong lume

Cheers, Ric

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I've had Omegas, Seikos, Panerais, and even Luminox. All of them beat Rolex's lume, which is OK. So I gather that Doxa does too. OK, now to go hunting. Thanks again!

G

·
Hi Greg

I found if you charge up the PRO with a UV flashlight the thing will glow very well and long. Seiko's stuff is the brightest (some folks are bothered by by its brightness). Here's my 750 PRO during a UV blast ;-)

If you buy yourself a UV flashlightlight, whtever you do, never look into the light - it can and will blind you.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey, i've only got the 750T Military Sharkhunter and have just been trying out lume shots for the past few days with some of the other watches in my collection, here are some results with 30 second exposures with a Nikon D80. I find the 750T hands good but dail lume's fairly weak requiring constant recharges between shots with a torchlight. & as howboutdemRedSox says, seikos are indeed amazing, as you see in second pic, their lume area are overexposed!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Seiko's lume is insane ... I think most will agree with that.

Having said that, my 750T Pro isn't too shabby; I can still see it very nicely at 0400 ... of course the Monsters are casting an unreal green glow from the watchbox ..... four of those things together should be illegal! :-d

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I have a substantial lume variance between my 750T Sharkhunter and my Searambler. I would say the SR is nearly twice as bright especially on the markers. The hands seem to be fairly close in the lume dept.

I thought the Sharkie was decent re: lume but when I got the SR I did a double take and later verified the difference with the same exposure to light.

Anyway, both are keepers!!

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
I have a substantial lume variance between my 750T Sharkhunter and my Searambler. I would say the SR is nearly twice as bright especially on the markers. The hands seem to be fairly close in the lume dept.

I thought the Sharkie was decent re: lume but when I got the SR I did a double take and later verified the difference with the same exposure to light.

Anyway, both are keepers!!
Dan,

What are the dates on your warranty cards?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Fairly new to the forum and just got a 600T Pro but it is brighter than all my other watches including my Seiko Atlas that I thought was bright.

FWIIW

paul:-!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Dan,

What are the dates on your warranty cards?
I ordered both of them in June, 2007. The Sharkie shipped immediately as it was in stock.

I ordered the Searambler a couple weeks later and it wasnt shipped for about 3 weeks because it was still in the regulating/inspection stage so I think this may have been another batch from when the Sharkie was made.

This could explain the difference in lume quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyody,

It is my first time here! I'm very happy to join your community. I read here from long time, but I have never dared to post. I'm french and like very much Doxa watches. I own a Sharky 750T with "quite stange" big indexes. I don't have found any another pictures in this forum with this kind of indexes.

So at night, it is very easy to read time!

DH

P.S: sorry for my english, I hope it is not too bad, I do my best ;-)

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Your english is excellent - better than some here in the States!

The large indices on your watch has been reported by another member. He noticed the lack of gap in between the lume and the two white markers.

No big deal as there are variations from time to time in these batches of Doxa watches. A little different but still 100% Doxa.

Welcome!

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
Hi Harry, and welcome!

The "solid indeces" were produced for a short time, and there were several posts on the subject back then. They can be found on some 750T Sharkhunters as well as some Military Sharkhunters (a total of only 100 of the latter were made, I do not know how many were solid).

I know for certain there is another in France, one of your Countrymen, Jean Michel has a Sharkhunter with them (he is a prolific and well known collector). They look quite nice (Doxa switched back as it seemed many preferred the "three bar" indeces) and in fact, if looking through Doc. Pete's Doxa book, you will notice that many vintage pieces had similar indeces.

All just variations and nuances of a small brand running small production numbers. Gives many Doxa's a uniqueness that the large "cookie cutter" brands will never have. :-!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Doxa Dan & T Bone for your warm welcome.

Jean-Michel is a good friend and we meet often together on another French watch forums. I like as well mechanical watches and especially Doxa (and the world of Clive Cussler).
I did not take care of pictures with this indexes in the doxa book. I receive it one month ago, but I had not enough time so far to read it until the end.... I will dive more deeply into the book very soon :-!

I contacted the customer service few weeks ago to have information about solid indexes. They answered that this dial has been used from mid 2006 to end 2006.

If I well understand, I should be happy to have a rare piece from doxa production :roll:
But I like too very much the standard dial.... is it a sufficient reason to have another one Doxa....? It could be.....:think:

DH :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts