WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding the gw7900b-1 to the collection and would like to add a compass to the strap to complete the military look so the question is, will this (or one similar)...

Fit on this with any kind of dependability...

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Since the Suunto is a clip-on compass I guess it will fit almost any strap (oops, cal..45 was faster). I'd prefer the Silva "Sere" btw. which slides onto the strap and therefore you can't lose it - it also comes with a full-lume dial but I couldn't find a page that tells you how wide the straps may be.
Silva Sere Minikompass sicher online kaufen bei Bergzeit.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I would ideally like something that slides on the band but wonder if one is wide enough to fit the 7900 strap... and lume always beats no lume.

How wide is the strap on the 7900 just below the ridges near the lugs? Are there any known slip on compasses that will fit the 7900?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since the Suunto is a clip-on compass I guess it will fit almost any strap (oops, cal..45 was faster). I'd prefer the Silva "Sere" btw. which slides onto the strap and therefore you can't lose it - it also comes with a full-lume dial but I couldn't find a page that tells you how wide the straps may be.
Silva Sere Minikompass sicher online kaufen bei Bergzeit.

Looks like 19mm is the widest the Sere will go... Silva Sere 40 Watch Compass: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

Will this fit the 7900 just below the ridges?

I found this (fits a 22mm band) but it looks HUGE: http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Company-860-Watchband-Compass/dp/B001949J1W

And this but no idea on the band size either: http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-compasses-9068.html

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hmm, the strap of the G-7900 is 20mm at the buckle - it narrows down after the ridges. I always wanted to get one of those compasses but haven't done so yet. So it probably won't fit if the max is 19mm.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Sedi... its 20mm at the buckle?? If that is the case then it only gets wider up and definitely wont work.

Any chance you or cal could tell me the band width just below the ridges??

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
the band is 21mm width - I measured it with a sliding rule.

not sure about the silva compass, but I think I saw at least one straped onto a riseman. I don't have a riseman anymore, so I can't measure the band width, but I think it is not smaller than the G-7900 strap....:think:

cheers

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks caL... thats 21mm wide just below the ridges I assume.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
yeah just below the ridges all the way to the top, besides the last 7 mm where it narrows down.

cheers

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much appreciated.

I found these Marathon compasses for their Navigator model watches. They are clip on but they fit up to 22mm.

Compass For Navigator Wrist Watch

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried to wear a my watch with a clip on compass but it kept digging into you arm. I really don't see how anyone could wear a cheap clip on compass without it aggravating their skin. Maybe a slid on would be better. The best would be one that slides on and is made of rubber. Anyone know of one like this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi...
just my opinion but...
I think a clip compass is way better than a slide one as it's affected by the battery of the watch so it wont tell you the north...
but with a detachable one is another story...
Cheers
Khris

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, it's not.
True.

My other bush watch is a Seiko diver on a Zulu. The slip on button compass lives next to the BRASS buckle of the watch. Easy to roll your wrist for a quick direction check. My watch band compass is an old military model which doesn't have a Silva style bezel. I used to have a Suunto M9 as a wrist compass out bush, but the casing is plastic and predictably the plastic lugs broke. Now I use a Garmin Foretrex GPS which is a little bulkier and is battery powered, but hey, I like gadgets and I still have a proper orienteering compass in my gear or a shirt pocket if I need it.

I have read elsewhere that folks don't consider a stainless buckle interferes with a watchband compass, but when it comes to direction-finding, I prefer to err on the side of caution. At the end of the day the compass is not just a cool looking accessory, it's a means of finding your way at times such as at night when the analog watch/sun method is less than effective.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you get a bearing with any kind of compass you MUST stay aqay from whateve source of metal or power....
have you ever tried to put a compass on a table (of wood or plastic) and than bring near to the compass a watch or a mobile? you can see that the needle move away... so you wont be able to take any serious bearing if you take you button compass close by a watch

With a clip compass you can remove it from the band easily and taking the bearing you want, but if you have just a slide compass...well removing it from the band it's not an easy way...

Khris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts