WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

7s26 (7s26B) rotor question

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  littleclown 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello.
I am new here and this is my first post. First - Thank you for good information here!

I have Seiko 5 military SNK807K2 with 7s26B movement. Great watch (I will open it soon to regulate it), but I have a question about the rotor of the automatic.
My rotor have 4 positions in a full circle where it goes not too smoothly. I mean when the rotor pass true this points it goes a little bit harder and I can hear a low sound of the movement parts. Is not so hard when its in the morning and I would not move them and its more noticeable in the and of the day.

My question is - is this normal, or there is somethings wrong?
This is my first mechanical watch and maybe this question is stupid but I need to know.
PIC: http://picasaweb.google.com/littleclown/HolandiaInLozen#5382722620989174690

Thank you in advanced.

#2 ·
Hello.
I am new here and this is my first post. First - Thank you for good information here!

I have Seiko 5 military with 7s26B movement. Great watch (I will open it soon to regulate it), but I have a question about the rotor of the automatic.
My rotor have 4 positions in a full circle where it goes not too smoothly. I mean when the heavy part pass true this points it goes a little bit harder and I can hear a low sound of the movement parts. Is not so hard when its in the morning and I would not move them and its more noticeable in the and of the day.

My question is - is this normal, or there is somethings wrong?
This is my first mechanical watch and maybe this question is stupid but I need to know.

Thank you in advanced.
Hello friend:

Welcome to our forum. No question is ever stupid, just ask whatever you like. Rotors do make noise, even the most low-mass ones. I will ask you several questions, and I need your help to help me answer you, okay?

-What 4 positions are you talking about?
-Are you looking at the dial, or are you looking at the back case of the watch?
-It is a glass caseback, isn't it.
-What's the model number?
-Can you post a picture?

If it's keeping close to normal time enough for you, then it's just your attentiveness to the watch, and that's normal. Also, consider that a metal caseback can muffle the sound of the rotor more than the glass, this may be why you hear it a bit better.

Let us know.

Angelis

#6 ·
Let me try to help out here. The item you outlined in blue is called the rotor. It turns as you move the watch about. The center hub of the rotor has a toothed gear on it that turns the gear you can see just up and to the right of the center of the rotor. There is an eccentric pivot attached to that gear that turns the rotary motion of the gear into linear motion of a device called the magic finger. The magic finger winds up the main spring that powers the watch. I believe the points of hesitation that you notice are caused when the motion of the magic finger reaches the end of a stroke and reverses direction. It is normal and you need not worry about it. It is just the mechanics of the winding system at work.

#11 ·
It could well be that in the evening the rotor seems to have greater reisitance because the mainspring has been wound more due to the day's activity and therefore the movement of the watch. However it's unlikely to be that noticeable in the morning as the mainspring will not have wound down enormously if you're just considering say an 8-9 hour period.

If what you are experiencing feels/sounds more like a grating noise check the outer edge of the movement where the rotor travels. When rotors wear they can scrape the movement base plate causing damage and restricted auto rotation.

#12 ·
It could well be that in the evening the rotor seems to have greater reisitance because the mainspring has been wound more due to the day's activity and therefore the movement of the watch. However it's unlikely to be that noticeable in the morning as the mainspring will not have wound down enormously if you're just considering say an 8-9 hour period.

If what you are experiencing feels/sounds more like a grating noise check the outer edge of the movement where the rotor travels. When rotors wear they can scrape the movement base plate causing damage and restricted auto rotation.
Yes I left it just for 8-9 hours, and there is no real sound (more like really tiny vibration) at in the morning. Just the rotor don't go really smootly trough this points.

The sound is more like from gears and the sound is really low - you should bring the watch to your ear to hear it.

There are no signs to the mechanism from the rotor - I don't think that the rotor touch the mech.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.