WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 59 years old and living in Orange County CA, I'm no stranger to Rolex; hell - you can't swing a dead cat out here without hitting somebody with a Rolex on his/her wrist! Since ~2005, I've owned six Submariners - "Grail Watches" for most; to wit: a 6536/1, a 5508, two 6538 Big Crowns, a 14060 2-Line, and finally, a 1978 5513 Maxi-dial. I'm not really a "watch collector" per se - never had more than seven watches at any one time. The vintage Subs were all great watches - I personally just had a problem with wearing something so rare/valuable on my wrist - especially the Big Crowns! Three years ago I let a good buddy talk me out of my 5513 - he caught me at the perfect time (for him), so I moved on to a vintage-ish Omega Seamaster (Watchco) SM300, and used the rest of my 5513 funds to buy a (Tag) Heuer Monaco and a pile of Submariner/Dive "homage watches", mostly MK II's. And there I was - fat, dumb, and happy with a nice 7 watch rotation; Happy Ending, right?

Shouldda been, wouldda been, couldda been - then ~2-3 months ago, right here on WUS (in either the Dive Watch sub-forum or the MK II sub-forum), I read a post in response to someone else's post about their homage watch; something to the effect that "Why don't you just buy the REAL thing instead of a "copy of the real thing" - that way every time you look at your wrist you'll see THE watch that MADE history, not a COPY of the watch that made history." Now that post really got up my azz - "Who do you think YOU are?!" I thought to myself...

But that single post kept gnawing at me - I could NOT get it out of my mind, no matter HOW much I loved (and STILL do!) my Kingston MK II. So I started reading up on (more) modern Submariners. Even though I had already had a 14060, I had bought it on impulse, and sold it 2-3 months later when that 5513 Maxi came up, so I never really gave it a chance. Went to a couple AD's and looked at the new SubC, but just couldn't make peace with the shiny ceramic bezel, the chunky lugs/crown guards, and the lack of drilled lugs; cool watch, just not for ME - though I did find myself liking the 4-Line COSC designation, which was odd, since all my other 6 Subs were 2-Liner's - something about the thought of THAT very watch being certified by an independent group…

After making the decision to go 14060 4-Liner/COSC, I started watching them on Watch Recon - it didn't take too long for the "right 14060" to come along from a trusted online seller (Thanks and a tip o' the hat to LawrenceB out of Florida!). 2 days later (one week ago today) I unboxed MY 14060 from its original box, looked at the original warranty card and hang tags, set the time, and strapped (or is it "braceleted"?) it on. Original no-stretch 93150 fit MY wrist absolutely PERFECTLY, and that watch just settled into the proper spot on my wrist, where it hasn't MOVED 1mm since! Exactly 7 days and 30 minutes later, the time is STILL exact; maybe there IS something to all that "COSC VooDoo" after all! Nice job on that 3130 movement, you former Coo-Coo Clock builders! The cherry on the sundae - the minute hand remains properly "indexed" at ~90% of the minute markers on its hourly journey (Yeah, I'm one of THEM!)

Thanks for having me back, Rolex - I promise never to leave the fold again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't know how you guys can keep model numbers straight but that Sub looks like mine only mine has the SEL (I bought it new in 2000). Great watch. I trade back and forth with my GMTII, Datejust, and Speedmaster Pro. I have over a dozen watches but these are the same four I wear all the time.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I just picked up a 14060M as well, after ten years of going Sub-less (traded in a 5513 for a GMT-II). Like you, I rarely remove it from my wrist. IMO the perfect Sub.

Reactions: TheGanzman

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Congratulations - this was my first Rolex, and remains my favorite one as well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Congratulations! A truely great piece.

I was partial to the 2 liners for a long time but the cosc 4 liners won me over in the end. Out of all the modern no-dates, this is the one to have, imho. I was able to find a really well kept example (probably paid a little more than I should have), but it had never been polished and was exactly what I was looking for. It's the only true keeper of my collection.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, beautiful!

Still have them (and the others) Or did you sell them?
No - all my vintage watches are gone. I personally got turned off by the whole "Vintage Rolex Scene" - I won't go into the details here; suffice it to say that I found it to be THE "slipperiest slope" that *I* have ever been on. You need an electron microscope in your kit bag before you back out of the driveway to go look at a vintage Rolex, LOL...

Having said that, there IS a '60's 5512 that's on my radar - bring your own windfall...

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Lovely watch, congratulations. :-!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts