WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
now that's a different type of classic! I'm sure the bracelet is stainless, but as for the case - I'm not sure. Usually the telling point is if the inscription on the case back say "stainless steel back" then the case is plated base metal. Manufacturers would even put "base metal" on there sometimes - truth in advertising I suppose. Have a look at the corners at the back, if it were plated, those sharp corners would be the first to start flaking off.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Many of the semiconductor companies made watches in this era... But they found computers to be more lucrative so sold off rights to the Japanese. Here is one made by an independent. It is in the NAWCC museum... but they can still be found on eBay! :)

SynchronarHEQ.jpg

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I believe that Texas Instruments was the last true US watch manufacturer. All parts were made here. But their history as a watch company didn't last long. I think they sold off that business in the early 1980's.

gatorcpa

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I believe that Texas Instruments was the last true US watch manufacturer. All parts were made here. But their history as a watch company didn't last long. I think they sold off that business in the early 1980's.

gatorcpa
I thought most sourced their cases from Hong Kong. The pictured TI looks like others I have seen from Hong Kong.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
"Classics", I wouldn't call them that, and so did National Semiconductor, Novus.
I'd call them classics. But I collect vintage quartz :)

Hughes Semiconductor was another Silicon Valley maker of watches.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
:think: I just can't recall Hughes in the 'The Valley, TRW yes.
I used to sell to this industry. They are all over. But I think most of Hughes production was in Arizona. A lot of Intel's was there too. Texas and Oregon were two other hotbeds of chip fabrication back then too. I don't think TRW fell into the 'lets make a watch' faze of the industry.

·
Registered
597 Posts
"Classics", I wouldn't call them that, and so did National Semiconductor, Novus.
I call them classics. I have 1980s Casios that are as much prized by me as my 1950s Omegas and sit in pride of place in my watch box side by side with them.
Nothing like the classic 1980s tacky looks next to 1950s metal. :) Pure class.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just bought this watch off the bay...just wanted to know if anyone else has one of these and if its chrome plated or s/steel? thanks
I owned a watch like this one. It was my favorite watch! Can you tell me the TI model number? I'm on the hunt for one myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Google is your friend. It knows all.

TI is making watches again. There is a number of threads in HAQ on a project using this watch. It appears the member has made the world's most accurate watch from the new TI (it is programmable BY THE USER :)).

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Google is your friend. It knows all.

TI is making watches again. There is a number of threads in HAQ on a project using this watch. It appears the member has made the world's most accurate watch from the new TI (it is programmable BY THE USER :)).
Is TI actually making a watch (not just a prototype as shown in the link), or selling the chip to other manufacturers?

The Wiki is very confusing to us non-engineering types.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Is TI actually making a watch (not just a prototype as shown in the link), or selling the chip to other manufacturers?

The Wiki is very confusing to us non-engineering types.
gatorcpa
They make the watch. You could buy it as just a watch but it has the advantage of being fully programmable by the owner so is marketed as a development system. HAQ has had a running project on it spearheaded by member Catalin. He has constructed firmware that makes it the most accurate watch in the world (excluding watches that get their time from a network somewhere -- those watches are network devices not standalone watches :-d).

It is slick and cheap. $50 for the worlds's most advanced watch...

EZ430-Chronos.png

1 - 20 of 24 Posts