• Sheer force of will

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's the holidays and there are 857's available for the taking. I can't wait until the U1000 breaks the surface, so I'm going in after a 857.

Question is, strap or bracelet? What say you?

DJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
The U-series rubber by far.

The leather strap looks too weedy and refined while the bracelet introduces too much light colouring in to the equation, unbalancing the monochrome look of the dial.

(Not my photos)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, Rubber for my 857? Me likes!

The U-series rubber by far.

The leather strap looks too weedy and refined while the bracelet introduces too much light colouring in to the equation, unbalancing the monochrome look of the dial.

(Not my photos)
Nice idea...me likes!!! How do you folks like the fit of those U-series bands???

Having a tegimented bracelet in reserve is always a good plan, but I'm leaning towards the strap or that nice U-series rubber.

Anyone got any other contingencies for consideration (other than my duct tape idea)?

DJ

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Re: Hmmm, Rubber for my 857? Me likes!

i think its more economical to get the watch with the bracelet (if u are thinking of having the bracelet as a spare)

else u can always sell it at mkt price and then use the money to get a rubber or strap and still get some money back since the bracelet is kinda pricey

·
Registered
531 Posts

i think its more economical to get the watch with the bracelet (if u are thinking of having the bracelet as a spare)

else u can always sell it at mkt price and then use the money to get a rubber or strap and still get some money back since the bracelet is kinda pricey
Hear hear:) New bracelet costs $380, new strap costs $80.......

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am also coming to this conclusion. Buy it on the bracelet and then buy a separate strap (be it leather or rubber or both).

My other two Sinns are on the SS bracelet and I love them, but the 857 looks like it can benefit well from also having the strap. My 103 & 203 can look dressy on bracelet or strap. Thus they serve me well at work in the office, but they can also function as a casual watch; however, I think the 857 is a better field watch option. I usually defer to the Marathon or the 5.11 HRT as a field watch...so I am looking forward to the 857. The 857 has a very different look to it...it does not appear well-suited as a dress watch...but we will see. The multiple straps add versatility!

Hmmm, I need to check the lug width on my 103...it would look pretty good on a black leather strap as well. :-! Wonder if it has the same lug spacing as the 857? Probably not...time for some more research!

At this rate, I'll be spending more on extra straps & bracelets than on the 857! Ahhhh, Merry Christmas to me!!!

DJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
I vote for the strap...well at least on the 857 UTC that I just ordered this AM. If you are interested in an 857 and looking at Watchbuys, Tim suggested to order while they have them in stock as they will not be getting any more until sometime next year. Looking forward to my first Sinn!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I voted stap, but I note that you missed "staples" and "glue" as options in your poll!!;-)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I voted stap, but I note that you missed "staples" and "glue" as options in your poll!!;-)
I went with Duct Tape because it was the most resilient Green option that cannot be obtained via Sinn Authorized Dealers. Sheer Force of Will was just the...cheapest, no batteries required option.

Staples would require continual reapplication - producing increased waste as well as a buildup of scar tissue on my wrist that would eventually negate continued use, and strong Glues use too many volatile hydrocarbon based compounds that are not biodegradeable.

I also thought Duct Tape was a comfortable & familiar option for most WUS users; add that to the Sheer Force of Will option, and I figured I had added enough comic relief...any more might have turned away real feedback...I think.

In the end, I'll probably end up buying all the options offered by Sinn (tegimented bracelet, leather strap & rubber)...so I guess I could have added Staples and Glue along with Super Conducting Magnets and still ended up buying everything. ;-)

DJ

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
when in doubt always go with the great Sinn bracelet... you can always get an extra strap or 2 later...

cheers,

Peter

V

·
0 Posts
Straps are easy to replace (any quality, any color, any stitching, any animal/bird/fish).

The bracelet is MADE for the 856/57.

Bracelet is more value for $$$.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I choose bracelet because as an extra accessory it goes more, so it seems to be wiser and better offer if you buy watch with the bracelet. But since you're a "tactical" person, I'd rather go for a Maratac ZULU as an extra strap. ;-) Cheers! :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Gotta agree with TZ... the 4 Ring Zulu would be my pick. Black or Grey with low-lite rings.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotta agree with TZ... the 4 Ring Zulu would be my pick. Black or Grey with low-lite rings.
I have the Maratec Zulu on my Marathon right now...it's just the 2-ring, so I can also swap it out; but, I do think I would like the 4-ring version. My wrist is just a bit too big for my 2-ring.

DJ

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd say buy it with the bracellet, but wear it on a strap. I don't like the idea of Zulus, Natos or any other strap of that sort as the watch is too thick for such a thin strap. Just my 2 cents....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts