WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
When Omega went from the 861 to the 1861 movement, why did they add an addtional jewel and what part of the movement did they add it too?
Somewhere on the net is a photo of the 1861 movement showing the added jewel.

I thought I had a link to it but have been unable to locate it. Perhaps someone on this forum has that information.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Chuck's responses are in red:

Chuck,

The question came up on the WUS forum as to the “why and where” of the 18th jewel in the Speedy Pro movement.

And I only know roughly the who, what and when.

I seem to remember a photo/diagram showing the addition somewhere on the forums.

I don't remember seeing it myself.

Do you have that info?

If I do I don't remember it.

:-( If "the MAN" doesn't know, who does? :-S

Fr. John+

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
We're doomed!!!

Chuck's responses are in red:

Chuck,

The question came up on the WUS forum as to the "why and where" of the 18th jewel in the Speedy Pro movement.

And I only know roughly the who, what and when.

I seem to remember a photo/diagram showing the addition somewhere on the forums.

I don't remember seeing it myself.

Do you have that info?

If I do I don't remember it.

:-( If "the MAN" doesn't know, who does? :-S

Fr. John+
Clearly, we are doomed!!! Do I hear hoof beats?!?!

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
A little something

Ok, here's the most I've been able to come up with, so far. From this 3-1/2 old Speedmaster review on TZ:

"...the addition of one jewel-bearing to a total of 18, on the linking-wheel between subdial-seconds and chrono-seconds wheel..."
So, whereas the sub-seconds hand is driven directly by the seconds wheel, the chrono second wheel is engaged by an intermediate wheel between the two. That intermediate wheel appears to be where the extra jewel was added.

It seems to be a rather minor addition, but it might be intersting to find.

eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys...

Eric, if you look at the pic's provided in this thread. It looks to me as if the intermediate wheel has metal bushing of some sort and the 1863 has a jewel... Do you guys see the same thing or am I crazy??!!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Keeping in mind that I'm nothing even slightly resembling a watchmaker, here's what I'm seeing, using the photo Bob provided. [EDIT: I swapped pics with one from my old c.861. I hope to add a close-up of an 186x in the box, for comparison].

The extra jewel would be inside the pink circle. I'll try to put together a better image, but I think that's what we're looking for.

Of course, I could be completely off...

eric

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks guys...

Eric, if you look at the pic's provided in this thread. It looks to me as if the intermediate wheel has metal bushing of some sort and the 1863 has a jewel... Do you guys see the same thing or am I crazy??!!
Now that you mention it G, yes! And nice detective work there, Eric. :-!
Had me wondering where that extra jewel went when I first read this thread...
at first I even thought it was a gimmick, lol; when you had the c 861 performing so well for a number of years. Makes sense to have it in the intermediate wheel.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
A little of each?

Thanks guys...

Well, you might be crazy, but I think you're right!

Great question, and it's been fun investigating!

eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jackpot!!!!! Thanks for the GREAT pics. and info.

I think it makes sense to add one there, being that the wheel is in constant motion. But, what do I know?? I barely know how to tell time!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts