WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. One of my latest eBay finds...a misunderstood DW8700 that was attacked by a paint sprayer (white paint) and left for dead in a desk drawer, encrusted in wrist gunk...

Here's the pic I bought it on...

So, for $7 total (and that's including shipping) it arrived in my mailbox this afternoon. At that price, it's time for me to try my meager restoration skills...

So I did the following...
1 - Partial disassembly - strap off, bezel off, case back off, dead battery out
2 - Cleaning - removed paint spots with the edge of an xacto knife, a stubborn area required a bit of light sanding off with steel wool, but the strap was still too gunky and was "sticky" so got tossed
3 - Battery changed out and gasket lubed -- I think I need to get a new gasket, this one was a bit stretched. After an AC jump, fired up like a champ
4 - Reassembled the watch and put on some strap adapters for a 24mm 2-ring Zulu

And now on my wrist...

Interestingly, the EL light is almost as strong as my 6600! And instead of springs to attach to the back-plate piezo speaker, it has those little clip things like a Citizen.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nice job Tom. I love seeing old G's restored and brought back to life. :-!
I found one of those in a similar condition but wasn't as lucky as you, the module was dead so I bought a reissue but it's not the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Love giving old G's a "second life"

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Cool Tom....... nice job. Gawain

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I found one of those in a similar condition but wasn't as lucky as you, the module was dead so I bought a reissue but it's not the same.
I have a reissue, but am curious what the differences are from the original? I also agree that's a great restoration job. :-!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"And instead of springs to attach to the back-plate piezo speaker, it has those little clip things like a Citizen."

can anyone explain me what that means?

i just bought a new (nos?) 8700 for a bargain of 16 USD + shipping. its so nice on the (my) wrist that i wear it also in sleep since i got it last week.

cheers
gerry

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
"And instead of springs to attach to the back-plate piezo speaker, it has those little clip things like a Citizen."

When you remove the back from most G-Shocks, there is a tiny spring (or more than one) which is for the alarm. They are located in little 'holes', and make contact with the case-back. If you look at Sjor's battery changing 'How To' in the stickies, there are pictures.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,569 Posts

Hi Gerry,

Not all G-Shock models have a spring, but far the most have them. And indeed sometimes they have three springs (I believe it checks if the back is closed on EPROM models, like the Codename).

At any G-Shock I open, I treat them as if they have this spring, sometimes they are well hidden.

Cheers,

Sjors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts