WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to hone my fake detection skills. I've spent a fair amount of time comparing this watch with other images on the net. With the LEONIDAS catalog, where I could find it.

To me it looks like a damn good fake. But I'm not sure. At this point I wouldn't even consider this watch, maybe even if you told me it was real. My question to you guys is, are my 9 points valid? Did anyone find any additional markers of fakeness.

My last question to you all (if its a fake) is, How? How do these guys do it? It looks so good on first glance. Anyone not really looking would be totally fooled.

My Reasons:

1. LEONIDAS is never located on top of the date.
  2. The 1 for the date is not located in the 12 o'clock position. 31 should be located in the 12 o'clock position.
  3. Lines are not clean and sharp.
  4. The word SWISS is too big and not correctly located. The word SWISS exists on some models, but its at the very bottom.
  5. The inner second numbers switch orientation, but the outer date numbers don't. Usually they should be doing the same thing.
  6. The word LEONIDAS is not properly centered with the day and month.
  7. The "11" isn't aligned with the top left corner of the day indicator.
  8. All of the 4 tops are not nicely cleaved at the top mid point.
  9. The second numbers (ie 5, 10, 15, 20) should not be interwoven with the tick marks, but should hover above the tick marks.

The watch in Question:
Leonidas Triple Calendar Moon phase. Free Shipping To Lower 48 | eBay

One of my comparison pictures:
http://www.sometimeago.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_2485.jpg

I'm really tempted to save some of the pictures of the eBay watch to have as future reference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it depends on what the determining factor of a watch being a fake. I don't know myself. If its based on the dial, then I would say its fake, because of the sloppy re-dial. Is it based on the internals/movement? If the internals are swappable from one manufacturer to another, then I can't say the internals makes a watch real or not. So I don't know.

I did read an interesting article that said the value of a watch is mostly in the dial.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I can't tell you if it's fake or not. We say this a lot here :: " You need confidence in the SELLER as much as the ITEM." At first glance you see 100% feedback on over 1500 items. Looks good....but I wanted to see if SELLER was selling high end watches all along...or just pencils and paper . What I found out was his positive feedback came from "purchases" NOT "sales". I didn't delve into it too long...so don't believe everything you see and dig into the seller in order to have confidence. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will give authenticity info. Good luck !!

edit: I went over 1yr of transactions from seller (94 to be exact)....only 2 sales in 1yr (no watches).....FYI

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Around here, the term "fake" is generally synonymous with replica. Essentially, a fake (and most egregious) is a watch that has been manufactured to resemble or impersonate another, legitimate watch. However, that said, its not a black and white distinction. There are plenty of shades of gray in the middle-- franken-watches that have been cobbled together from differing, often compatible parts, for instance. I think its safe to say, a re-dialed watch, alone, usually doesn't rise to the level of being considered "fake" to most collectors around here. Many vintage watches might have incurred significant damage to their dials over the years which could necessitate a re-dial-- it may stem from the desire to repair the watch, not fool someone into thinking it is something it is not. Generally, a re-dialed watch is considered less desirable than a pristine original and often to some, even a well-patinated original. In addition, the quality of the re-dials vary considerably, depending on the skill-level of the repairers. You should definitely not consider paying even close to what a good condition original would cost for a re-dial, imho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts