WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about how oyster bracelets stretch and now I have first hand knowledge. Below are a few pics of my 9315. It looks to have stretched about 7mm's from when it was new.

I have a couple of questions. Can the stretch be fixed? And if so, is it something I should do with a bracelet that is original to the watch. Someone told me that not having it tightened up and keeping it all together with the watch makes it more valuable.

My other question relates to sizing the bracelet. I'm usually pretty good a searching the site for answers but it's a bit unclear. If I don't get the stretch fixed, the bracelet is too long and I'm not sure how the links are removed.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i always thought it's the jubilee bracelets that stretch, and the oyster bracelets are not so much. anyway, i think i read this somewhere saying that the stretched bracelets can actually be fixed. perhaps someone else can provide more info for a place they are familiar with? however, i don't know what it'd do to the value of the watch. you may try contacting rsc and see what they say about sizing the bracelet. but i have a feeling that they are just going to tell you to purchase a new bracelet instead. good luck!

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
All bracelets stretch gently with age, the pins wear and the holes wear a little in the links, i have a 25 year old bracelet for my oysterdate that is like a piece of floppy string and also a 2005 jubilee bracelet on my DJ which has a bit of stretch allready.

Don't let the stretch bother you, to me it adds to the wrist comfort of the watch as it allows the bracelet to move about more.

What I did with my old oyster date bracelet is to buy an aftermarket one from fleabay and transfer the middle links from it to my old one thus fixing it. Much as it would have been nice to have a genuine Rolex one @ £400 I got an aftermarket one which was identical for about £40 :-!

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Why is stretching a bad thing?? It should make the bracelet more comfortable. I would'nt worry about it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is stretching a bad thing?? It should make the bracelet more comfortable. I would'nt worry about it.
Since I have a 6.75 wrist, the problem is that it makes the bracelet too long. The amount of stretch is longer than one link. If it only had minimal stretch it would fit perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts