WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im getting a rangeman and debating which model. The green is by far my favorite aestheticslly, and i am a sucker for negative displays but how is the readability in harsh sunlight? I like positive display the least but i do a lot of mountain climbing and similar high sunlight activities and need this to be legible first and foremost. Anyone get either the green, or black with negative display and have trouble reading it outdoors in the daylight? Am i making a mistake pulling the trigger on the green one?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
While I like the look of the stock green, I went to the expense of buying extras as cheaply as possible to swap the modules to make this:

if you are even asking the question, get the positive.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
If you catch the light right, it is gorgeous....but there are plenty of times when it is nearly blank looking black.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I still never understand the sentiment regarding legibility of negative displays. I own two G-shocks with negative displays and it's not as bad as you think. Direct sunlight you'll have no problem. Extreme low light maybe more or a problem, especially depending on your geographic location. However, the watch comes with a back light so the latter really shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Was that an easy mod? Does the 'movement' just unscrew from the casimg so that is like a ten minute mod done with nothing but a screwdriver?

While I like the look of the stock green, I went to the expense of buying extras as cheaply as possible to swap the modules to make this:

if you are even asking the question, get the positive.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Awesome! Was that an easy mod? Does the 'movement' just unscrew from the casimg so that is like a ten minute mod done with nothing but a screwdriver?
Correct! Simple with a good tiny Phillips head screw driver and a long thumb nail to pry the bezels off.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I still never understand the sentiment regarding legibility of negative displays. I own two G-shocks with negative displays and it's not as bad as you think. Direct sunlight you'll have no problem. Extreme low light maybe more or a problem, especially depending on your geographic location. However, the watch comes with a back light so the latter really shouldn't be an issue.
As I see it, the problem mostly IS with the "low light" situations where a positive display would still be legible without the backlight -- when people don't want to HAVE TO use two hands to see what time it is!

I have one DW-5600 with a negative LCD that I modified myself with the help of thise handy tutorial -- it's usually quite easy to read outdoors in the daytime. My problem with it is that indoors it sometimes DOES require the backlight to read it, while in the same lighting I can easily read a "positive display" with just a glance -- and with just one hand. ;-)

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I work day and night, indoors and outdoors. I wear the positive in daylight and negative at night with the Autolight function activated, figuring at night I know I'm going to need the light in all instances anyhow. And the negative while lit is not as jarring in the dark as the lit positive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think this module that I swap is the best. Color matches with e watch

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Woah what is that????!!! Is that the module from the lightning yellow in the olive band and bezel? Very very gorgeous and very much love it

as to negative display, I have one and will never buy another cus I can barely see it. Those who say its fine I believe value the looks over function. I feel you should be able to flip your wrist, look down, and be given as much clear information as quick as possible and my negative doesn't cut it so It barely gets worn

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I think this module that I swap is the best. Color matches with e watch

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
nice! Where is the yellow with the negative module picture?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for all your responses. Does anyone know if there is a way to just buy a green band and bezel without module? It would be nice if I could buy a positive black Rangeman, and a replacement green band and bezel to put the module into instead of buying both complete watches for $600. Does anyone sell that? There would certainly be a market for it!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
as to negative display, I have one and will never buy another cus I can barely see it. Those who say its fine I believe value the looks over function. I feel you should be able to flip your wrist, look down, and be given as much clear information as quick as possible and my negative doesn't cut it so It barely gets worn
Exactly!

Negative displays are like the high heels of the watch world: everybody agrees that they look great, but they're just not as practical in all situations as other watches/shoes.

...and the wearers of both will argue until they're blue in the face to defend their fashion choice! :-d

(Last night I saw a re-run of the "Modern Family" episode where the family goes to Disneyland and Gloria insists on wearing sky-high heels for an entire day of walking around. :) )

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I don't think there is much question that negative displays, overall, present more legibility issues than positive displays.

Outdoors in strong sunlight, however, is where these displays present the fewest problems -- at least for me.

I am inclined to agree with the sentiment expressed earlier. If you are at all concerned about this issue, get the positive display.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts