WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone with a 9900 movement can share what kind of changes they get depending on the resting watch position. Dial up, speed up; dial down, slow down, etc.?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the responses. The reason I asked is that until recently my Speedy with the 9900 ranged from essentially zero deviation per day to about +1 per day. Over the past week or so I've noticed it is running about -1 per day. That's still insanely accurate, but it was basically perfect before. And for me, I'd much rather gain time than lose time, even if it is only -1 per day. I plan on experimenting with it overnight to see if I can get it to gain back a second or two, but I thought I'd check if anyone has experience doing that with this movement.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I appreciate the responses. The reason I asked is that until recently my Speedy with the 9900 ranged from essentially zero deviation per day to about +1 per day. Over the past week or so I've noticed it is running about -1 per day. That's still insanely accurate, but it was basically perfect before. And for me, I'd much rather gain time than lose time, even if it is only -1 per day. I plan on experimenting with it overnight to see if I can get it to gain back a second or two, but I thought I'd check if anyone has experience doing that with this movement.
The 9900 is Metas certified so you might take a look at the records from the certification process and see what they show. You can get it here by entering the number from the Metas card that came with your watch. It doesn't provide various positions, but will show different power reserve performance results. Either way, I think you can have it regulated under warranty if it runs slow. It's not supposed to run slow at all.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either way, I think you can have it regulated under warranty if it runs slow. It's not supposed to run slow at all.
True, it is technically out of spec and under warranty. But it wouldn't be worth it right now to send it in over 1 second. Now, it if gets worse, or doesn't return to the 0 to +5 range I will send it in. In the meantime, I'd like to see if I can bring it back into spec just by how it sits overnight.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
I'm curious if anyone with a 9900 movement can share what kind of changes they get depending on the resting watch position. Dial up, speed up; dial down, slow down, etc.?
Every watch will have it’s own pattern, so you can only determine yours by testing it.

It's not supposed to run slow at all.
This is a misunderstanding of how the specs work. The average rate, as measured on a timing machine, using an equally weighted average, and under controlled conditions, should not be less that zero. Note that if the average can be zero, there will inevitably be some positions that run slow. If in real life your wearing habits for favour a position that runs slow, your watch may run slow and still be well within specifications.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Every watch will have it’s own pattern, so you can only determine yours by testing it.

This is a misunderstanding of how the specs work. The average rate, as measured on a timing machine, using an equally weighted average, and under controlled conditions, should not be less that zero. Note that if the average can be zero, there will inevitably be some positions that run slow. If in real life your wearing habits for favour a position that runs slow, your watch may run slow and still be well within specifications.
That makes sense.

·
Registered
835 Posts
A variation of 1, you’re talking about something nearly immeasurable. The margin of human induced error here effectively makes this a zero, at least in my opinion. Different story if that's a consistent 1 second every day, as in +- 7 over a week

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any change to the average state of wind that it's seeing?

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect
No, wearing patterns have remained the same. It's my daily driver, so it stays well-wound.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts

As an example, for the 8800 in my AT38, my average rate over 6 positions as tested by METAS was +4.7 (range for this movement is 0-6), but I consistently get +2 on wrist.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
-1 spd is considered out of spec for this movement? Wow.
If it is Master Chronometer certified it is supposed to run 0 - +5, +6, or +7, depending on the movement. I guess it is never really supposed to lose time.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
If it is Master Chronometer certified it is supposed to run 0 - +5, +6, or +7, depending on the movement. I guess it is never really supposed to lose time.
Like Archer said, the spec is for the average rate across 6 positions. It is possible to lose time in some positions and still be within spec. Average rate will not necessarily coincide with how you wear it.

Maximum deviation across 6 positions (difference between fastest and slowest positions) is 14spd.

For example... if it runs -5 in two positions and +5 in the other four positions, that would make the average rate +1.7spd and deviation 10spd, which is acceptable per the standard. However, if most of the time you wear it nearest those two slow positions, it'll run slow, potentially down to -5spd.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I never realized that or looked up the specs, but makes sense. Mine is fast on wrist (+2 or 3seconds) but if left crown down overnight it's a pretty consistent +.5 to +1 spd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts