WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to start off by saying that i'll be leaving certain information out of the posting since i'm going to see how well it all resolves.

but here's how it all went down.

1. i've wanted a pilot pro day/date on a bracelet for a while. BUT.....i also want the sapphire crystal _with_ AR coating, a glass back, and extra leather strap.

i look around and find on dealer that is in the US and find myself surprised by his price for the total package (everything listed above).

2. i get him my info and card number, for the deposit, so he can order the watch from LWR and the extras.

3. AFTER he charges my card for the deposit....he tells me he quoted me the wrong price. the price he should have quoted me was another $160 more.

4. the price is still very good even at $160 more than the original quote. so i say "OK, let's go".

5. the watch arrives today. i notice several things.

• a. there is no dealer stamp on the warranty card. nothing at all actually.
  • b. the anti glare doesn't seem to be working very well (or might not be on there at all) as i can see the glare coming from several lights in the house. i'm wondering if this is just the sapphire crystal that has no AR coating. i'm going to go outdoors tomorrow and see if i notice a difference.
  • c. there is a very subtle but visible smudge on the dial face. also, there's a few cloth fibers stuck to the inside of the crystal that can easily be seen without straining my eye.
  • d. lastly...and strangest of all......i was observing the second hand when it suddenly stopped. now some might say it just needs a winding but i'd assume that the dealer would check that and set the watch for the local time knowing that, that's where it was going. is that too much to ask?
  • e. as a final issue.....the cost minus the shipping does not add up to what was quoted after he made a change to the original. it's over by about $15.00.
so now i have to call them back and bring up these issues. some might say they are minor, but in the world of watches.....aren't the details _supposed_ to be a big deal. i mean we are dealing with small, intricate, exacting machines.....shouldn't the dealers strive for attention to details?

does anyone think i'm way off in bringing these issues up to the dealer?

would anyone do different if they were in this situation?

also....does anyone know how much of a reduction in glare the AR coating actually gives?

i really wanted to be excited about getting a fortis but this has really ruined my outlook at the prospect of owning a fortis.

G

·
Sorry to hear about your issues.. Is the dealer AD? If so, they should resolve all your issues for you.

Second, you can easily tell if the crystal was AR coated. you should see bluish tint to the crystal. My (ex) Fortis B-42 Chrono Costmo had black dial but sometimes it looked blue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RAREM5...yeah....he is an authorized fortis dealer. i talked to lwr and they confirmed this before i purchased.

i'll look again and maybe post a pic as i'm not too sure about the AR coating.....maybe it's only on the inside of the crystal?

pics posting shortly as i just woke up.....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You have every right to be upset. Anytime you spend more than $200 on a watch, it better be darn near perfect. You shouldn't have to accept lint under the crystal, or a smudged dial, absolutely not. If the dealer is an AD, he should take care of these issues without any objection at all.

I had a Fortis where the second hand stopped for no reason. The reason ended up being one of the movement retaining screws inside the case was sheared of and the screw got stuck in the movement to stop it. The watch also had a spotty Anti-reflective coating, and link screws that sheared off insted of unscrewing. My watch apparently came from an AD also, but through a middle man?? Could we have been dealing with the same guy? I wonder. Anyways, my local Fortis repair center (in Canada) replaced the watch head for me under warranty, and provided new links for the bracelet. The end result was a perfect watch, but my first experience was incredibly disappointing.

PM me and let me know who you bought from, I'm curious if someone is dealing with returned or refurbished goods.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok....time to get to work but here are the photos....

one showing a bit of glare....although maybe it's an extreme angle.....and the others showing the cloth fibers in there as well as little bits of dust here and there.....

i couldn't get a shot of the smudge on the dial since it's not as easy to see with a camera as it is to see the fibers.....but it's there and in an outdoor setting you can see it as a spot that's darker than the rest of the dial.

i'll try to get pictures later today as i was in a bit of a rush.....please let me know your thoughts.....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Maybe I'm a suspicious guy, but those fibers are not from the factory. Somebody has opened that watch that has no experience with watch repair. Those fibers are big and easily seen by an experienced watch repairman. Also, the date alignment is terrible. Send it back asap. <|

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,878 Posts
hey guys...
actually, I too have seen those sort of quality issues on some of the Fortis.
:-(
sad I know but I still love my Fortis'.
I have seen smudges in the AR coating on the inside, misaligned lume paint on an
indice, shifty dials (retainer not down tight enough) and maybe a few other things.
But, even with all the things I have seen, for the money and the build, they are great
watches and a really nice bang for the buck.
You can send watches back and they'll fix them under warranty with no problem.
It just sort of puts a bad taste in your mouth when thinking of buying another.
(for some that is, as I have gotten past that) :)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The reason you buy new is to not have to fool with these imperfections, small or not. Send it back and if the AD won't make it right, I would let Fortis know directly.

I agree with previous poster, this watch was opened up by someone other than the watch shop.

Imperfections are going to happen anytime you are dealing with fine timepieces, what seperates brands is how they handle them. This is why I love my Kobolds

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
et al......let me state something to clear up a misconception....this watch _was_ opened up to swap the standard sapphire crystal for a sapphire crystal and a glass back.

so....this is not a reflection of Fortis but of the AD who did the work.

MarkJnK...as for the date alignment.....i've not done anything to the watch as far adjustment so maybe this is the reason for this?

cuckoo4watches...thing is....even with some fault......which i've seen none on any fortis (doesn't mean there aren't any).....even so.....nothing looks like a fortis.

Watchesnboats....i'm not one to give second chances. if someone can't get something right.....and it's their _job_ to get it right.....seems silly to offer a second chance. but that's just me.

kobolds are nice but again...nothing looks like Fortis.

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,878 Posts
agree... Fortis is something special and once you have one, and one without some screwups, you will never not have one in your collection.
If I had the money, I'd have several. :)

good luck with all that...
i'd just return it, get the refund (unless you gotta be harsh and do a charge-back on the CC), and then go to my man Gary.

PM me if you want.

all the best

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I agree with Steve, give it back. If the watch was opened by the dealer, then you might have some issues with a straight-up return, but this is where the integrity of the dealer comes into play. The bad date alignment has nothing to do with an adjustment. At 5:30 am or pm, the day/date should be aligned. The switch happens between 10pm and 2am. They are not always perfect, but yours is very bad.

I wish you luck. I had a bad experience, then Fortis made it right. I then bought another Fortis and couldn't be happier with it. Hopefully a similar outcome awaits you.

p.s. Martin, if you read this, the Lume Dial MarineMaster that I sold you was the Fortis replacement for the bad one. The one I sold you was 100% new (head) and perfect. I don't want you to think I sold you a troubled watch :-!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pics of the black warranty card (no stamp and not even filled out).....

on closer inspection, i find a bent spring bar......

i'm impressed with the lume on fortis watches in general....the picture is not super crisp but this was just a few seconds near a lightbulb.....

the AD doesn't seem to think these are issues that he should have to deal with so onto the next step. i'll post in a few days......

this has really ruined my week.

on the bright side i'd been recommended another dealer who is on top of things and i can see i'll end up getting my pilot pro through him...as well as my B-42 pilot pro......

my brother saw my fortis catalog and now he wants a B-42 Marine Master day/date....

it's the Fortis look that's really draws the eye.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Your AD sounds like a tool, I'd just deal directly with Fortis. I'd email Fortis USA and let them handle your crummy AD. Fortis' repair agent, Providence Watch Hospital is excellent, they'll fix everything and get it back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
et al......i called Fortis earlier today and the rep was quite surprised to hear all of this.

they told me that they believe the AD should be handling all of this not directing me to PWH.

i asked the AD....since this watch is 3 whole days old....should i have to pay shipping to send it off to someone else to fulfill a warranty issue that i believe was cause by the AD?

his response was that, he would not pay for shipping as this is a fortis issue (which it's not) and that it's a minor shipping charge (the amount isn't the issue.....it's basic customer service).

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Once you kick this AD's butt back to Colorado(I am a Sox fan lol), demand your money bacj=k and do not deal with him again. Markus is a member of this forum and he got me a BNIB Fortis Auto Pilot PVD for a great price, AD seal on it and full warranty. Watis beautiful and fun to wear. Others have dealt whth Mark and I believe most have had a good relationship.

But don't let this sour you on the brand. Piss on the AD but Fortis is an above board company in my experience.

paul|>

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was just getting ready to drop Fortis a line to find out which movement my Cosmonauts Chrono has when I read your post....I feel for you.

I hate to throw stones, and never want to start a pissing match, but if this watch came from an AD, please let us know so we can re - think possible purchases. Just looking at the watch and the lack of care taken with it by the dealer is staggering.o|

Hopefully Fortis can aid in resolving the problem for you.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
It's always unfortunate to hear of a situation like this. From what you've told us it sounds like the AD is not providing the kind of service you should be entitled to. Please let us know what happens when you talk to Fortis.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
et al.....well here's an update......

the dealer has refused to do anything at all except to direct me to PWH to have it serviced under warranty. even though the watch is....well...now 4 days old.

fortis has flatly stated that this is an AD issue and that it needs to be resolved by the AD. but since the AD won't......fortis says the best thing to do is to send it PWH and all the work will be done for free. all of it.

the credit card company gave me some hoops to jump through to get a charge back happening BUT......the process would take over _2 months_ from start to finish and would only be fruitful IF the charge back went through.

personally ...i don't have time to hassle with second opinions and sending the watch here and there and keeping copies of such and such paper work....and sending it all to them and making a case of the whole thing.

thing is......even though i've only glanced at the watch a few times this whole time it's been on my desk.....i REALLY like it......a LOT.

the pilot pro lacks all of the features found on the more popular models but the look of it is all purpose with hints of style here and there. understated is really a good word. eye catching simplicity that operates under the radar of most eyes.

so i've made a decision.....i'm going to send the the watch to PWH and get a full, complete, total, and thorough service done on the watch.

when i get the watch back.....it's going on eBay. no reserve. someone will get a mighty fine deal on a perfect Pilot Pro Date/Date, with optional sapphire crystal WITH double AR coating (inside and out), glass back, fortis stainless bracelet, fortis leather strap, and if it ever needs work within the two year warranty period, they'll have the option of sending it to me and i'll send it in to PWH so they avoid any charges.

i get the short end of the stick from start to finish but....but what more can i say?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It is unfortunate that the dealer is such a pain in the patootsy.
I'll never use them after hearing this story.

One thing I don't understand... when the watch returns from PWH after the full spa treatment, why would you sell it? You like it right? Its an awesome watch right? When it comes back, it will be perfect and you'll have the watch you have been waiting for. Why lose money on eBay?

I know you are furious, thats understandable, but this is not Fortis' fault, it is the dealer's. They messed up the watch. Fortis is going to make it right for you and pay for the repair at PWH, so why not thank them by wearing the watch with pride, and make sure that everyone you know never buys a thing from that dealer.

Have the watch fixed for free, as good as new, you win.|>
Tell all your friends about the dealer and their service, Dealer loses.<|

Regards,
Mark

1 - 20 of 37 Posts