WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok a little off topic but I think you will find this useful. Like many of you I try to keep track of the watches for sale forum here on WUS, but do so using the RSS feeds - well holy cow there are a lot of posts to get through.

All I really care about is seeing the G-Shocks that are put up for sale on that forum, but it takes a lot of time to trawl through to find those posts.

Enter Yahoo! Pipes. I just created a Yahoo! pipe feed of the Wus Sales forum that only shows posts with the term "g-shock" in the description. So instead of several hundred posts I see just the five or six ones related to G-Shocks. Pretty nifty eh? Thank you Yahoo! Pipes :)

So I thought I'd share the new pipe feed that I have created in case anyone here would like to have a filtered version of the sales forum via RSS. You can subscribe to the new filtered pipe via the following URL:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/bfgreen/gshock

I'm loving it - hope you enjoy it

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yes that is handy I've got the feed up and running and will see how it goes, excellent, but as Doug says, potentially a threat to my wallet! :thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm always amazed or impressed for one reason or another everytime I come to the site.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Thanks Brian...just what I needed...another way to spend my money faster ;-).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent, Brian! :thanks

(How's the new watch going?) :)
It's going great - thanks for asking. I have been working over the last two weeks to complete the drawings for the entire watch, case, dial, strap, case back. We haven't had to make any compromises and Carlos and the manufacturer have been excellent to work with - I'm very impressed with what I have heard and been shown. I hope to be able to share details of the specs that have been agreed upon, but for the most part it is exactly as it was on the design that I posted for the competition.

The watch is being converted into a 3-D mock up right now so that a prototype can be made for review. Once that is complete the watch will be ready for production - by November of this year.

I'll check with Carlos the brand owner and sponsor of the watch to see what details he is okay with me sharing. It's his brand after all and I don't want to jump the gun on any of his thunder.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It won't have your rather natty logo presumably...
No it will have the logo for Carlos' brand, but other than that it is pretty much exactly the watch that I designed for the competition.

We've been working on the details of the case and dial design. One thing I want to ensure is that it has very good lume. So far the rough specs, based on my latest scaled drawings, will be:

20-Jewel automatic Sea-Gull movt
Flat sapphire crystal
20mm strap with stainless buckle
42mm diameter (excluding buttons)
Stainless steel 316 case
Internal unidirectional bezel
Display case back
High quality lume (no sure exactly what yet)

These details are subject to change of course while my design is being interpreted into exact mechanic drawings, but I doubt there will be much variation if any.

Not only is it very exciting to see my design go through this process, it's very informative to learn how a design concept is taken and translated into a production model and all of the necessary decisions that have to take place. Lots of work, luckily most of it by the manufacturing company and not me, but lots of fun too!

Do you think I should start a thread in the design section to track the progress and post updates for everyone to read about how it is going?

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Do you think I should start a thread in the design section to track the progress and post updates for everyone to read about how it is going?
I think that's a great idea. I confess I hardly ever visit the Public Forum though, and that may be true of others.

So, posting a link here when there are updates would be a good idea.

I'm guessing the internal rotating bezel might pose the biggest manufacturing challenge - but I know nothing of manufacturing. :)

There was an in-depth look at a couple of the Seagull movements over on TZ-UK (lots of excellent macro shots of disassembled bits). The conclusion, as I remember it, is that they are fine, but can include a bit of manufacturing detritus. Eddie Platts was sufficiently pleased with them to use them in one of his models, but has them cleaned and checked as part of the assembly process.

You may not have any input into the assembly process, but it would be good if there was a similar quality check on the movements.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My preference would be titanium over stainless as I prefer lighter watches most of the time. But, hey, its your watch, your design, and going to Ti would increase the price.

Congrats and enjoy the ride. Lets hope it is not your last one!b-):-!

P.S. Any one know if NoctiLumina http://www.noctilumina.com/index.php is any good?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts