WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got frustrated with the lack of filters for rating and case diameter (I have thin wrists and most Chinese watches are huge) on Aliexpress, so I built this simple search tool:
https://www.homagefinder.com/search.php

I hope other people can make use of it too, and I'm looking for advice from you guys.

I didn't extract all the watches on Aliexpress yet, as I don't know if anyone else finds it useful too.

What other features would you like to see there?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wow - that's impressive.
I really like the menu.
I didn't have a chance to run a search yet, due to protective interference from corporate security here at work.

I'm not sure how you're populating the data into this tool. With multiple sellers and changing product lines, I sure hope you've found a way to automate that process!

A couple points I noted:
"Minimum Rating" offers options between only 4.0-5.0 in .1 increments. But no option for "Any". Are these Review Ratings? Can the choices for that be more varied?

"Dial's glass material" doesn't offer Mineral Glass as an option; I think it should be there. Hardlex, as I understand it, is a variation on mineral glass and probably deserves to be listed, as you did.

Under features, would you want to include Moonphase?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I got frustrated with the lack of filters for rating and case diameter (I have thin wrists and most Chinese watches are huge) on Aliexpress, so I built this simple search tool:

I hope other people can make use of it too, and I'm looking for advice from you guys.

I didn't extract all the watches on Aliexpress yet, as I don't know if anyone else finds it useful too.

I rate this tool as PDG! Pretty Damn Good.

OK so it may be a bit rough around the edges, but for a "Beta" release it is great and I for one thank you for your efforts

Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
372 Posts
So for the data set he's using, there's exactly one ladies' watch that's listed as an automatic, and it lacks lume.

The query worked correctly and found no matches.
Thanks. I guess given the huge number of watches on Ali I figured there had to be a sizable number that met my criteria. I appreciate you working that out. Best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
No worries. Ladies' watches are heavily, HEAVILY skewed towards quartz. I'm not even sure that the one ladies' automatic is actually a ladies' watch-- it's just listed that way in the ALI database.

Reactions: Zzyzx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys!

OvrSteer said:
The one thing I'd note is that you should probably specify the price is in US Dollars.
Done.

mystic nerd said:
I'm not sure how you're populating the data into this tool. With multiple sellers and changing product lines, I sure hope you've found a way to automate that process!
Yup, it's automated.

mystic nerd said:
"Minimum Rating" offers options between only 4.0-5.0 in .1 increments. But no option for "Any". Are these Review Ratings? Can the choices for that be more varied?
Yes, those are the review ratings from Aliexpress.
They now start from 3.0 and there's also an "Any" option.

mystic nerd said:
"Dial's glass material" doesn't offer Mineral Glass as an option; I think it should be there. Hardlex, as I understand it, is a variation on mineral glass and probably deserves to be listed, as you did.
For some reason, I didn't see any watches on Aliexpress that have their dial listed as being made from mineral glass. It's usually "Hardlex" or just "glass".
Would you say it's OK to list them both as "mineral glass"?

mystic nerd said:
Under features, would you want to include Moonphase?
Done.

I'll include colors to be a filtering option and extract more watches from Aliexpress at some point in the near future. I'll post here when that's done.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
For some reason, I didn't see any watches on Aliexpress that have their dial listed as being made from mineral glass. It's usually "Hardlex" or just "glass".
Would you say it's OK to list them both as "mineral glass"?
I probably would.

With few exceptions that don't really matter at ALI prices, all crystals fall into three rough material groups:

Acrylic

Glass/Mineral Glass (of various formulations and coatings)

Sapphire

Those are probably the three 'easy' categories to use.

·
Registered
61 Posts

It's great! Thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I really like this tool you've built!

How about an option for "Homage of" ... (user fills in the blank)
Or maybe that should be "Homage to". I'm not sure.

Or is that information not in the AliExp database?

Do you have to load data from the AE web site into your system, rather than querying their site directly?

Great job - THANKS!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd love to have an "homage of/to" option, but there's no such info in Aliexpress and I'm not sure how to do it.
One way would be to let the users suggest the watch of which a certain watch is an homage of/to, and then use those suggestions, in reverse, to do that.
However, I'm not sure how many people would be willing to do that and bad entries might also be a problem.

I wrote a piece of software that extracts data from Aliexpress and loads it into the site's database.
If I'd be querying their site directly, you'd have to wait a long while on each search and they would probably block my IP after a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I probably would.

With few exceptions that don't really matter at ALI prices, all crystals fall into three rough material groups:

Acrylic

Glass/Mineral Glass (of various formulations and coatings)

Sapphire

Those are probably the three 'easy' categories to use.
There's now an option that will include all the Hardlex crystals and any that include the word "glass" in them.

I scraped a lot more watches from Aliexpress, but not all of them, since the info is even more unreliable when the watches have few reviews.
I gave up on filtering by color, for now, since they often mention the band's color or nothing at all, which can lead to confusions.
You can now use the site's homepage: http://www.homagefinder.com

I really like this tool you've built!

How about an option for "Homage of" ... (user fills in the blank)
Or maybe that should be "Homage to". I'm not sure.

Or is that information not in the AliExp database?

Do you have to load data from the AE web site into your system, rather than querying their site directly?

Great job - THANKS!!!
This is what I'll try to implement next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an homage thread (.../yxgoxtcw) with a link to a google sheet: ..../yynckjbr
(sorry, I don't have enough post count to post links, replace the ..... by tinyurl[dot]com)

May be it can help you with for your database.

Very nice tool and really great job !

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice search tool. Thanks.

How about adding another free text box like the 'brand' filter for 'model'. I'd like to search for homages to Sumo, Monster, Monaco etc..

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.