WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before the arrival of quartz watches in 1969, the Swiss watch industry developed movements with a beat frequency of 36,000 bph as a technical innovation to improve accuracy. As best as I can tell, only 5 watch companies (Seiko, Longines, Zodiac, Girard-Perregaux and Favre Leuba) ever made dive watches with high frequency movements and only 8 different models were made before Seiko introduced the SBEX001 last year. Here they are:

Clockwise, l to r top to bottom. Seiko 6159-7000/1, Seiko 6159-7010, Longines Admiral Ultra Chron Compressor. Longines Admiral Ultra Chron, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf Day Date, Zodiac SST Super Sea Wolf, Girard Perregaux High Frequency, Favre Leuba Deep Blue.

There is nothing to indicate that the Seikos have high frequency movements. Longines used "Ultra Chron" on both 36000 and 28800 bph watches. Zodiac used SST to indicate high frequency watches, but in the case of the Super Sea Wolf DD model there were no markings to indicate that the watch had a high frequency movement and the date only version used a regular beat movement. Girard-Perregaux marked their watches "High Frequency" and Favre-Leuba never indicated that some of their dive watches had high frequency movements.

So there you have it. Dive watches which are a bit different beneath the surface.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Awesome watches, both of you.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice collection of vintage divers Ray!

Would 28800bph also be considered high beat? If so then I have a couple not on your list;
What makes the watches I posted special is their 36000 bph movements. Relatively few watch models have ever had 36000 bph movements in them. Over time, terms like high beat and to a lesser extent high frequency have been used to describe watches operating at a wide variety of frequencies. Only in certain cases can these terms be relied on to indicate that a watch has a 36000 bph movement. Watches with movements beating at 28800 have become common.

You've got beautiful watches, and they certainly could be called high beat watches, but they aren't so different beneath the surface.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
What makes the watches I posted special is their 36000 bph movements. Relatively few watch models have ever had 36000 bph movements in them. Over time, terms like high beat and to a lesser extent high frequency have been used to describe watches operating at a wide variety of frequencies. Only in certain cases can these terms be relied on to indicate that a watch has a 36000 bph movement. Watches with movements beating at 28800 have become common.

You've got beautiful watches, and they certainly could be called high beat watches, but they aren't so different beneath the surface.
In the late 60s 28800 bpm was considered high frequency, today not anymore.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well you learn something everyday! Any pics of the movements in these?

I'd love to see a pic of that aquadive movement too, I'm intrigued

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here's the AD movement. It's a modified ESA 9154 which was kind of an ingenious movement that ultimately got killed by quartz. It has a coil that imparts an impulse to the balance wheel. Accuracy is petty good too even by todays standards at +/-2s per week.

The copper tube surrounding the movement is a Bourdon tube which converts the outside water pressure into a depth reading (remarkably still working on this watch).

IMG_7326.jpg

·
Premium Member
36,081 Posts
Really nice collection. I like the Zodiac.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well you learn something everyday! Any pics of the movements in these?

Pulled from the web

Seiko 6159 (rotor removed)

3e11695a14db4df9fd433ff2da55de00f9e57c44.jpg

Longines 431 Ultra Chron

longines431Movement-1.jpg

Zodiac 86

zodiac_m1.jpg

Girard-Perregaux 441

gp_441det1.jpg

Favre Leuba FL1164

FL-Deep-Blue-3.jpg

Compared to a common 28800 bph movement (eg. ETA 2824) the balance of the 36000 bph movements is smaller to reduce mass and polar moment of the balance so it can swing back and forth faster and minimize the amount of energy necessary to drive the balance. The Seiko and Longines are inhouse movements, while the Zodiac, Girard Perregaux and Favre Leuba movements were the result of joint development using an Anton Schild 1687 movement as a base. Although based on a joint development, the movements that each company produced from the joint development were not identical to each other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts