WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen so many post on this forum where so many members will say, "Oh! That's the ETA 2124 or Valjoux yadda yadda." Further, they know the differences in qualitites of these movements, in-house, etc... I enjoy this hobby, when I collected wine I read tons of books, went to tastings, etc. I don't want to put in the time to be an expert, but I would hardly call myself a WIS. I know a few brands and for major brands have some vague idea on whether it's an in-house, ETA or chinese movement. Any advice on how to get to the next level? I pick up so much from this website and often peruse forums on brands I have no interest in just to pick up the occasional tid-bit of trivia or knowledge. I enjoy this as I'm watching TV, etc. This, however, is not the most efficient use of time in regards to actual learning. If any of you experts out there have any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated. Note, I don't want to be a watchmaker and am not prepared to volunteer at a luxury watch store, lol.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
some general guidelines (many exceptions exist):

any watch that claims to have a swiss mechanical movement, and is priced between 500-2000 is an ETA movement. Automatic 3 hand is either 2824-2 if its a mid sized watch, 2492 if its small. If its hand wound, it's either a 6497 (large), 2801 (medium), or perseux7001 (small). if its a chronograph, its a valjoux 7750 variant.

that covers about 80% of all swiss watches.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Watchtime is an excellent read. There are a lot of good user created articles on WUS and TZ as well.

It might be best to choose whatever brand just happens to interest you right now and learn all about their movements, as most brands derive many movements from a single (in house) base, so it's relatively easy to pick up when that's the case.

Right now some of the most popular non-ETA movements on WUS are the GS 9S85, Omega 8500, JLC 899, Rolex 3135 and Zenith El Primero (each has many variations within the company), so if you wanted to do the maximum damage right away, I'd hit up those 5 and their derivatives.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The internet for all of it's issues, really is a wonderful thing. Unimaginable depth and wealth of information. In 1 hour you get what would've taken you a month 10 years ago.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Watchtime is an excellent read. There are a lot of good user created articles on WUS and TZ as well.

It might be best to choose whatever brand just happens to interest you right now and learn all about their movements, as most brands derive many movements from a single (in house) base, so it's relatively easy to pick up when that's the case.

Right now some of the most popular non-ETA movements on WUS are the GS 9S85, Omega 8500, JLC 899, Rolex 3135 and Zenith El Primero (each has many variations within the company), so if you wanted to do the maximum damage right away, I'd hit up those 5 and their derivatives.
I would add to this list the first thing of interest to me that Breitling has done since re-appearing, the B01-B0X in-house chronograph movement.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Continue reading here and you will find out that the only brands worth owning are Seiko, Grand Seiko, Omega, Sinn, and (sometimes) Rolex
And HMT. I'm proudly rocking mine today loving the vintage vibe it puts out for under $50… ;-)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
...Any advice on how to get to the next level?..
I think you're already there.

And relax and continue to "...enjoy this as I'm watching TV, etc."
Nothing wrong with taking time and seeing what's going on here, there, and over there as time permits.

Oh... and those wine people... you do realize some of them are insane? ;-)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually was in a fairly similar position at one point – looking to step up my knowledge about movements. I'd say the way to get there is 50% experience (ie just keep reading threads, looking at pictures, etc. on forums) and 50% reading up and studying.

I'll assume you already know the basics about how a watch works – if not, one of the main forum top posts has excellent links (I would recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcoIue1Bs8)

I would suggest taking it on a movement by movement basis. Start by learning about the ETA 2824 and 2892 – honestly these two movements probably comprise 70% of what you see in watches in the $500-$1500 range. These articles are good (although a bit technical...I'm not sure how "in-depth" you want to go. The third is more intuitive)

1.The ETA 2824
2.An indepth look at the ETA 2892
3. ETA 2824 vs 2892

Don't worry about the Selita SW-200, another popular one but it's a direct clone of the 2824 by ETA.

Once you've got those movements down, just try reading up on more and more. Stick with non-complicated movements (three hand movements are best, although date isn't that much harder). Rolex movements are a great place to go next, since they do everything tremendously well and yet aren't that complicated. Some good pages include: Untitled and Rolex Caliber 3135 – Still worthy of the crown after all these years?. Here is a good one comparing a Rolex and an Omega movement: Who Makes a Better Movement - Rolex or Omega?

Then just keep going, eventually you will establish a stronger base of knowledge. This is another great resource for movement reviews: The Horologium Archives - TimeZone. I remember being intimidated by the seemingly arbitrary movement labels (Rolex 3135 vs 2235, etc....), but truthfully there aren't as many as it first seems, and many are just derivatives of one another.

Hopefully this helps a bit! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
36,316 Posts
Lots of great reviews and DIY watch vids on YouTube as well.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I learn the most when I am gaining interest in a brand or specific model. I read and research because I want to know everything about it...from the brand history to the movement to the feedback from owners. I find that this type of reading is what really sticks in my brain. I used to be really into UN, so I now feel like a UN expert. Then it was IWC...then VC...then JLC. One by one just reading and finding interest in different brands has really helped me along the way. Learning is part of the fun, and it increases your appreciation for this hobby and the craft.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Continue reading here and you will find out that the only brands worth owning are Seiko, Grand Seiko, Omega, Sinn, and (sometimes) Rolex
Oh, you mean before becoming a WIS?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts