WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this this morning... Dongfeng and Wuyi reissue along with another watch which looks very much the same than the first ever Chinese made timepiece !

The pictures come from http://shop33452810.taobao.com/

Just a quick note, I was assuming the watches were made by Seagull, but the seller depicts them as made by FKWY. Does anybody know who is this manufacturer ?

Envoyé depuis mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk 4

Attachments

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Interesting.

Definitely not Sea-Gull, but definitely Sea-Gull inside, if yer see what I mean. I'm thinking a bunch of someone's project watches, perhaps (ironically) made by Sea-Gull themselves. They don't look *badly* finished, and those photos are quite detailed so any roughness would show up.

ST2130, 38mm, date wheel, vintage looks, stamped case backs (except that mystery model). The WuYi looks quite nice (it looks more *right*), but the other two fall short of the mark for me due to the crass hand sets they've used. Simply wrong wrong wrong. And all of them have (I think) flat mineral or sapphire glass, which is why they all look just that little bit odd. Vintage means domed acrylic to my eyes.

I compare 'em to the Beijing Model One Reissue and the SeaGull USA WuYi Reissue which are also on the table:

You can see the Sea-Gull USA WuYi Reissue is quite similar (ST2130, date) but again with flat glass. But a bit larger at 40mm. Maybe slightly over-sized bezel. But a well known and well respected WuYi reissue.

image.jpg

The Beijing Model One is again similar (38mm, auto, date) but has a bona fide domed acrylic crystal on top. And it's made by BJWAF, so its finish is peerless.

image.jpg

Cost comparisons have to be made taking the TaoBaoNow (or whoever) charges into consideration. Usually 10% commission. Plus an unpleasant FX rate which is now TaoBaoNow makes money. So that RMB 1,180 converts into about $220 as of today, plus $20 commission. So $240 before it's shipped to you from Hong Kong of Shanghai, and that EMS shipping's an extra $30 or so.

Jun Liao sells the Beijing Model One Reissue for $245 plus shipping. Sea-Gull USA sell their WuYi Reissue for $199 plus shipping.

I know what I'd do. It's what I did.

Ric

·
Registered
548 Posts
Maybe fake. None of the date disk aligns to date window.

Just saw this this morning... Dongfeng and Wuyi reissue along with another watch which looks very much the same than the first ever Chinese made timepiece !

The pictures come from Ê×Ò³-¿×ÅÖ×Ó±íµê-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Just a quick note, I was assuming the watches were made by Seagull, but the seller depicts them as made by FKWY. Does anybody know who is this manufacturer ?

Envoyé depuis mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk 4

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,193 Posts
OEM seems right to me. There is no mention of Sea-Gull anywhere on the watches.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,172 Posts
OEM seems right to me. There is no mention of Sea-Gull anywhere on the watches.
That would seem more correct to me as well. I do think that it's a stretch to use terms like "ersatz" for these watches given that (and I know this first hand) marockong, the seller, is well known in Tianjin watch circles and that he has a long relationship with some notable folks at Sea-Gull. If you reference my post regarding my April visit to the Tianjin Watch and Clock museum, you'll see that marockong is one of the invited folks I had dinner with along with Mr. Jiang, the owner of the museum.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of Sea-Gull's business model or relationships but I do think it very unlikely that these watches were produced in any way behind Sea-Gull's back. I'd think Marco is far too high profile for that to happen. Everything I know of him indicated he is respected and well liked in the Tianjin watch community.

·
8,172 Posts
At least I didn't use the f word.

Ok, all understood now. 100% certain these are OEM watches.

Ric
:) Maybe not even what we'd usually understand as OEM, possibly more a private build using Sea-Gull parts and possibly other assemblers or related assemblers under private contract. I don't know...

...and comments on the build or at least photograph quality are perfectly fair.

My only point was that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion they're fakes or dishonest in some way, and that the seller is knowledgeable and known to Tianjin.

Marco's English is excellent. I'll ask him about them over the next day or two.

·
8,172 Posts
Maybe fake. None of the date disk aligns to date window.
I'll ask marockong (Marco) about that, too. I think, since all of 'em are exactly like that, that it's because the photos were shot at 10 PM not 10 Am and the date wheel is starting to move...but i could be wrong and I'd like to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not what I was hoping for when I saw the title of this thread, but they look nice.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can confirm that is an OEM seagull, made by the mother nature factory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts