When Vaer was first founded by Ryan Torres and Reagan Cook in 2016, the pair of friends had a pretty ambitious set of goals. Their aim? To offer customers a collection of watches that feature a better build quality than Timex, a better value than Shinola, and better branding than Seiko.

What’s more, Torres and Cook wanted to help bring watchmaking home by producing locally-sourced, USA-assembled timepieces, all in an effort to create durable, functional 10ATM watches that would retail for under $200. Call it durability meets affordability, all packaged in a tasteful design. And it worked. As of 2021, Vaer is now the largest independent watch assembler in the United States, with the majority of their lineup starting at just $199 USD.

Headquartered in Venice, California, half a mile from the Pacific coastline, Vaer considers itself an ocean-based brand, so for them, water resistance isn’t just a “nice-to-have” feature, it’s a necessity. Hence why Vaer wanted to go over and above their standard 10ATM offering with the company’s new dive watch collection.

With both the USA-assembled D5 and Swiss-made D7 rated at 20ATM, Torres and Cook believe Vaer’s divers can perform in any and all real-world situations – without compromising on aesthetics, thanks to an ultra-slim profile and sapphire crystal exhibition caseback. Because when you spend every day in, or around, the ocean, you want a watch that can keep up – and still stand out.

So let’s dive right in: here’s what else you can expect from Vaer’s dive watches.

Vaer D5 Diver

Combining a timeless design with extreme durability, the D5 series is comprised of five pieces: the military-inspired Pacific USA Diver, Pacific White USA Diver, and Arctic USA Diver, the refined Atlantic USA Diver and the bold Tropic USA Diver. Regardless of which you opt for, the satin-brushed 316L stainless steel case measures 39mm and 11.6mm thick, with a ceramic 120 click uni-directional bezel. A double-domed sapphire crystal protects the all-black dial (not including the Tropic and its eye-catching two-toned dial). And, of course, since what good with a dive watch be without lume, the D5 dial features 15-layer X1 C1 Super-LumiNova on the hour markers and hands.

As Vaer’s core offering, the D5 Diver is powered by a Japanese Miyota 9015 automatic movement, with a beat rate of 28,800 and accuracy of -5/+15 seconds per day. It also offers 40 hours power reserve, and, thanks to the screw-in crown and caseback, the watch is every bit as airtight as you’d expect.

D5 timepieces are assembled in the United States by Vaer’s team of technicians and retail for $499 USD.

Vaer D7 Diver

The D7, meanwhile, combines the prestige of European luxury with everyday utility. Assembled in Switzerland, there are three pieces in the Vaer D7 line, mirroring the design aesthetics seen in the D5: the Atlantic Swiss Diver, Arctic Swiss Diver and Arctic White Swiss Diver. These D7 Divers are also constructed out of 316L stainless steel and wear 39mm on the wrist, with bezel specs to match its American-assembled counterpart.

Like the D5, the dial is black, with highlighted hour indices marked with the same X1-grade Super-LumiNova, plus a double-domed sapphire crystal that sits atop. What sets the D7 apart is the piece’s movement, powered by the ultra-thin ETA 2824 and featuring a similar power reserve of 40 hours.

As the brand’s signature luxury offering, the Swiss-made D7 is available at a slightly higher price point of $799 USD.

Get More With Vaer
As we already mentioned above, both watches in Vaer’s dive watch collection are water resistant to 20ATM and come with a guaranteed waterproof warranty. What’s more, every Vaer watch comes sold with two straps for added personalization. Your watch of choice comes standard with a retro-inspired waterproof tropic strap – then you’ll be able to select from a range of options that include USA-made Horween leather, a premium quick-release steel bracelet, as well as a range of ocean-ready nylon designs.

As with all Vaer watches, the rugged yet refined D5 and D7 come with a 2-year warranty and free shipping within the US.

Hear From Vaer Customers
Don’t just take our (or Vaer’s) word for it. By producing tastefully-designed, affordable, and durable timepieces, the company’s acquired quite the loyal following over the past half-decade. With over 2,000 5-star reviews, here’s a selection of what some of their very satisfied customers had to say about the emerging microbrand:

"This watch is nothing short of amazing. It is striking in appearance… the website photos just do not show what a really beautiful piece this is. In a world filled with quality diver watches, the D5 stands out. In my opinion, it easily achieves levels with divers that cost, literally, thousands of dollars more."

"There was definitely care taken into designing and producing this watch. I would buy another in a heartbeat."

"The quality of these timepieces are incredible. I work for a Rolex authorized AD and I can honestly say that the Vaer D5 is on par with the Submariner."

"I have been pleasantly surprised by the high quality look and finish of the watch. It holds its own when compared side by side to my 1972 Omega Speedmaster. Hopefully, it will last 50 years like my Omega but it has already become the watch for my daily sunset swim off the Kona coast."

"The fit and finish are excellent. The face design and size are classic without being dated. The movement runs accurately and silently. Both the watch and its movement are assembled in America, which I greatly appreciate. It's incredibly slim and lightweight on wrist even with the optional metal bracelet. It even dresses up and down with easy strap changes."

Now it’s time to see what all the fuss is about for yourself.

Visit Vaer Watches to learn more