WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There Everyone

I am an 18 year old male who very recently took an interest in watches (I got tired of looking at my nude wrist). However I know absolutely nothing about watches and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. After hours of internet research and visiting nearby watch stores, I am even more lost then when I first started. I humbly ask that someone guide me in the right direction with respect to research material as I think I should learn about the different types of watches before I go in search of my first one.

Any help is much appreciated

Gracias

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
It might be worth getting a $200 Seiko, Sea-Gull, or Orient to get your feet wet and then spending a few months here getting your bearings. By that time you will have a better idea about what you like. As you see more and learn more your tastes will change.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Do you hany ANY idea what kind of watch you might want or even like? Dive? Dress? Digital? Analog (traditional hands-and-dial)? Basic as it sounds, you might start with Wiki: Watch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's actually a pretty good overview of the different *types* of watches. Then you need to determine what style of watch you might like (sport/dive/dress etc) and start narrowing it down. Or at least ask specific questions here; lots of knowledgeable people here to answer your questions!
Good luck.

Greetings from Victoria, and welcome to watchuseek!

~Sherry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One theory i suggest, for a complete noob.
Is to start at the bottom, that way, one could have more respect for what each watch is. Expecially for how watches get scratched, break up, waterlogged and getting lost.
Growing up, besides countless dollar watches, I've had a $30 casio and $100 seiko last over 5 years each. By that time i could reckon the difference and appreciate the value of the more expensive models in the lineup.
Obviously, its always a good at the time to lust over and unpack a shiney tick tock that it might be worth splurging you money for anyway.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think you're doing it backwards. Don't research before you go looking for your first watch. Go look for a watch and then research the ones you like. Look at the Sale forum here. If you see something you like go research it. Even if it's too expensive for you there's bound to be a much less expensive hommage. Go to stores and try on watches. See what feels comfortable to you and what you think looks good on your wrist. Be honest with the sales folks. They will usually be very willing to help. As young as you are, good service on their part can make a lifetime customer. Don't limit yourself to stores in the mall. If you find a watch you like online go to their website and see if they have any authorized dealers in your area then go see the watches in the flesh. In my experience most people on WUS are friendly and are willing to help so go to the brand specific forums and ask questions. In the process of doing all that you'll learn about what you like and don't like, what you want to aim for, and the general consensus on what's good or bad.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
This is simple....read the forums on WUS. Check out the affordables, dive watch forum and look at the sponsored brand forums. Spend time here and you will get the best education and cumulative experiences from hundreds of watch enthusiasts, and, from what I've discovered, nice people and dang smart ones too.

Take your time. There is lots to learn Grasshopper.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
It can help to see as many watches as you can up close and personal.

"if there are WUS get-togethers in your area, you should go.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Lots of great advice here.

I support the 'buy first, research later' advice.

Also, the forum has a few 'wrist check' threads. You could frequent those to narrow down what kinds you like.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Browse the daily "what are you wearing" WRUW threads here. Look at hundreds of pictures of various watches, and narrow down a style you like. That is how I would begin if I did not know what I wanted.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm relatively new to watches also. Are you getting into watches for the sake of collecting or are you looking to get a daily wearer, or a few daily wearers in your rotation?

If the former then I suggest to do research on the classic watches in the genre(s) you're interested in.

If the latter, then look to your demographic and what you do in your daily life and buy the watches most appropriate for the circumstances you will be in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im currently looking for a daily wearer, I rarely dress up so im not looking for anything formal but rather something I could wear with everything. Im currently leaning towards Seiko since there seems to be much praise about them on this site and they look pretty nice. Ive been hearing words such as quartz, chonograph, mechanical etc. being thrown around and I would like to know how they differ with respect to each other.

Excuse my extreme noobness :)

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
You can't go wrong with Seiko, IMO. Mechanical automatics never need batteries, but generally speaking are more complicated, less rugged, and more expensive to service (especially chronographs). Quartz are generally more rugged, but require battery changes every so often. Then there are hybrid types of quartz/mechanicals. Read here: Technology | SEIKO WATCH CANADA

~SHerry.

·
Registered
810 Posts
for your very first watch, brands like Seiko, Casio, Citizen, Tissot, Timex, Victorinox will suit the best - especially used as daily watch.

They are sturdy and easy to look after. And should something go wrong down the track, they will be one of the easiest brands to get fixed or serviced. The Japanese brands also offer solar powered watches if the idea of changing battery every 2-3 years bothers you. And if you are really active person who wants spend loads of time running around or play sports wearing this watch, I'd suggest a quartz watch over mechanical.

with a budget of less than $500, you will have a range of watches to cover all occasions to choose from.

Do some little research online, even on ebay, you can get an idea of what's out there, as not all models are exported to every country. Also visit your local watch, jewelry stores or boutiques and try on the watches you like. See them in person as photos tell less than 20% of the story I reckon.

Good luck mate!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome to WUS, YaitsYahya.

Most people discussing watches here are interested in mechanical watches. These can either be automatic (your wrist movement winds them) or hand wound (you wind them on the crown every morning). What they have in common is a seconds hand that smoothly transits the dial. The other type of watch would be a quartz watch. Quartz watches are much more common in real life (outside this forum) and usually much cheaper. They come with a ticking seconds hand.

Some watches come with additional functions, beyond telling the time. These are called complications and can include: date, day/date chronograph (stop watch), moon phase, big date, power reserve, etc.

I started with an automatic dive watch with date function. Best is to start reading here on the forum and looking at the daily WRUW threads in the public and the affordable forum to get an idea what you like. Trying on watches before buying them also helps, for example to determine the size of watch you want.

A few brands to consider where already mentioned above. In addition, there are numerous smaller "boutique" brands that sell online only. Also, setting a budget helps to narrow down the options. For a first watch, stay below $1000. Before you buy, research the exact model, including on this forum. But that is what you are doing anyway.

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hello There Everyone

I am an 18 year old male who very recently took an interest in watches (I got tired of looking at my nude wrist). However I know absolutely nothing about watches and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. After hours of internet research and visiting nearby watch stores, I am even more lost then when I first started. I humbly ask that someone guide me in the right direction with respect to research material as I think I should learn about the different types of watches before I go in search of my first one.

Any help is much appreciated

Gracias
Its simple really buy what you like and can afford.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go to stores and try on watches. See what feels comfortable to you and what you think looks good on your wrist. Be honest with the sales folks. They will usually be very willing to help. As young as you are, good service on their part can make a lifetime customer. Don't limit yourself to stores in the mall. If you find a watch you like online go to their website and see if they have any authorized dealers in your area then go see the watches in the flesh.
Words of the wise! My biggest suggestion would be to stay away from vintage pieces, especially on eBay. For a beginner, it is really confusing to find a decent genuine vintage watch, considering that you need to be aware of all of the movements and case/dial combinations for certain years of watches. There's also the fact that a mechanical watch could need service, another reason to shy away from vintages at first. Good luck in your search, and we're all here to help! If you see something that you like, shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to give you a few ideas. Oh, and one last thing. WATCH COLLECTING IS A BAD HABIT THAT CAN LEAD TO SADNESS, ANGER, OCCASIONAL HAPPINESS, AND CERTAIN DEPLETION OF BANK ACCOUNTS. All in all? Have fun!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Check out the affordables subforum, xheck out the wruw threads for.photos of watches you may like. Also.take a look on sales forums. You may get something interesting for.a good bang. And there is a lot of photos.

Sent from my LG-P700 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
go and see what's out there, if you're going to spend a lot it's good to understand how they work as well,

and get to know yourself, too, it'll help in deciding which style, brand, etc of watch you might gravitate toward,

you don't want to spend a lot of money getting a watch and after a few minute of wearing it you say, meh, this is not me ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts