WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
the bond is a monstrosity.. it looks aweful.. i can believe omega released such [email protected] i really like the ratrapante though:-!.. not sure about the size though.. 44mm does seem rather too large

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mamas said:
the bond is a monstrosity.. it looks aweful.. i can believe omega released such [email protected] i really like the ratrapante though:-!.. not sure about the size though.. 44mm does seem rather too large
Yeah, it took me awhile to realize how big the Rattrapante is. Wit the broad arrow hands and Pulsations bezel, it's a bit busy for my taste, but I think it'll appeal to some.

eric

·
Registered
447 Posts
yes someone at Swatch Group has lost their mind (and their way). A James Bond watch is a watch 007 wears, not one you find in a box of 007 Crispies Cereal.

Honestly when I see this kind of junk it makes me question the ethos of the entire design team at Omega. Omega is not a "fun" brand. (Plus didn't SWATCH already raid the Bond Legacy with a series of Bond-themed watches?).

Anyway...what a terrible idea this watch is.

shoots,
John

·
Registered
744 Posts
WTF!! Why? Why? Why would anyone do that to a perfectly good Seamaster?:-( Maybe it also has an alarm function that plays the James Bond theme.:-D I thought the black PO with a rubber strap was the new bond watch. :-S

·
Premium Member
13,339 Posts
No to both<| :-( But I will explain you my reasons:
1) for the seamaster: the dial is badly legible, the hands are not the same than on the normal seamster models which are more luminous and that watch is a strictly pure markting hype. The green sub >>>>>>>>> The new bond
2) The dial configuration of the speedy is copy of the old daytona 6263 and 6265 to which Omega added a tachymetric scale.It was the baddest idea from Omega. For those who read chuck watch weblog, see how numerous are the 33xx problems and don't tell me please that Omega has completely solved them. Even tough the 33xx bugs happen most of of the time in USA if rarely if not never in Europe. I am not sure about the 3612 long term reliability and high resistance to shocks as compared to the older Omega chrono calibers. When Omega introduced some schumachers models last year they had the exact dial colors and configuration than older 6263 and 6265 daytona. For me those were wannabe daytonas and a proof that Omega lacks originality<| Copying a Rolex dial wasn't a solution.

Sorry but those are just my thaughts

regards

georges

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I won't comment much on the movement. I've read about the problems with the 33xx and realize that reports are still coming in (though, not as frequently, it seems). I can only hope that Omega has done enough to address the issues, with the introduction of the 3612. Time will tell, I suppose.

I think you bring up an interesting point about design. How close does one watch have to be in design to be considered derivative? Obviously, subdial layout is going to be the same on a lot of chronos. The black on white is definitely inline with the old Daytonas, but hasn't that color scheme been used by others, including Hamilton and Heuer?
I'm completely in favor of innovation, but if manufacturers are restricted by anything similar that has been done before, things might start to get strange.

eric

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Given some peoples love of rolex, it would be fair to say that the sub was a copy of the BP 50 fathoms.. that does not make the sub any less of a classic. I dont think one can extend some perceived problems of 33xx series to 3612 series.. its like saying that initial daytona movement had problems so the newest movement in Rolex GMT must also be problematic...you cant make those inferences.. no one knows whether this 3612 will be reliable or otherwise.. we have no data..

·
Premium Member
13,339 Posts
mamas said:
Given some peoples love of rolex, it would be fair to say that the sub was a copy of the BP 50 fathoms.. that does not make the sub any less of a classic. I dont think one can extend some perceived problems of 33xx series to 3612 series.. its like saying that initial daytona movement had problems so the newest movement in Rolex GMT must also be problematic...you cant make those inferences.. no one knows whether this 3612 will be reliable or otherwise.. we have no data..
The sub was introduced in 1953 as well as the 50 fathoms. The 50 fathoms has a luminous bezel, sword hands and the first 50fathoms have non screwed down crowns. The 50 fathoms was larger than the early sub models. The sub has a screw down crown, mercedes hands and metallic bezel. Saying that a sub is a copy of a 50 fathoms without knowing the main differences between the two models makes no sense. The 50 fathoms had a an as 1361 movement and the sub a 1030 cal if we take the reference 5508. Are or were the 33xx problems from a definitive manner? I don't think so. I have talked with someone who worked at Piguet at the time where the Frederic Piguet 1186 when it was introduced on Blancpains years ago. He said me that the movement is a work of art but it is not a movement intended for rough activities. The 1286 es deluxe is the rattrapante version of the 1285 es deluxe made by Piguet for Omega. The 33xx is problem is mainly an USA problem because I have rarely if not never heard of 33xx problems in Europe.
The problems in the 4130 movements in the dayto have been resolved in a definitive manner because I have never heard of them anymore since 2002. Since when the 3185 found in the gmt is problematic? It is based on the 3135 and has always proven reliable and it is not because one has a bad luck with it that it makes a bad movement. On the other hand, the problems with the 33xx were numerous and the problems of the chrono resetting were due to a design flaw.

just my honest opinion

regards

georges

·
Premium Member
13,339 Posts
Hi eptaz

The black subdials on a white dial, the black subdials on a red dial, the black subdials on a green dial, the white subdials on black dial, the white subdials on a red dial, the black subdials on a gold dial and the exotic dials were all the declinaisons of dials you could have when you baught a daytona from the years 1969 till 1986. I haven't seen a tricompax layout similar to old daytos on Heuers and Hamiltons unless I am uninformed.
The new zenith you enclosed as pic here is horribel and is a reflect of the nataf's policy, you see now on zenith's useless tourbillons, hard to read dials, movement that are decorated with poor taste and huge prices. Nataf ruined Zenith's image. Many people that I know who wanted to buy a Zenith baught a vintage one or another brand because the new zenith models are very ugly and very overpriced.

regards

georges

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i know what the bp and sub look like.. you dont have to remind me.. and to my eyes they look similar in style.. not every detail is the same as not every detail of schumacher is same as daytona as you like to say..they have different mechanisms too following your argument.. and i dont remeber seeing daytona have date function either.. but maybe i am mistaken in this regard too;-)
you talk about screw down crowns.. since when has schumacher got screw down pushers like the daytona?? some from your argumenets with sub and BP 50 fathoms.. you can use same arguments about daytona vs schumacher..

And you canot infer that there will be problems with 3162 because of some initial problems with 33xx series..that is not a logical conclusion.. no one can say for sure how the 3162 based chronos will behave in the future.. it seems churlish to think otherwise..

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
georges zaslavsky said:
Hi eptaz

The black subdials on a white dial, the black subdials on a red dial, the black subdials on a green dial, the white subdials on black dial, the white subdials on a red dial, the black subdials on a gold dial and the exotic dials were all the declinaisons of dials you could have when you baught a daytona from the years 1969 till 1986.
regards

georges
I see what you're saying, Georges. It goes back to the question of, how similar is too similar. What's distinguishes a "copycat" from a watch with similar design elements?
Looking at a few divers, there are definitely shared elements.

Then, of course, there's the old SM300 which shares elements, and the PO, etc.
How do you decide when a watch becomes a "wannabe?"

eric

·
Premium Member
13,339 Posts
mamas said:
i know what the bp and sub look like.. you dont have to remind me.. and to my eyes they look similar in style.. not every detail is the same as not every detail of schumacher is same as daytona as you like to say..they have different mechanisms too following your argument.. and i dont remeber seeing daytona have date function either.. but maybe i am mistaken in this regard too;-)
you talk about screw down crowns.. since when has schumacher got screw down pushers like the daytona?? some from your argumenets with sub and BP 50 fathoms.. you can use same arguments about daytona vs schumacher..

And you canot infer that there will be problems with 3162 because of some initial problems with 33xx series..that is not a logical conclusion.. no one can say for sure how the 3162 based chronos will behave in the future.. it seems churlish to think otherwise..
Good debate in perspective mamas:-! I will post just for comparison a modern 50th anniversary 50 fathoms and a rolex sub for comparison. The dayto was never intended to have date. The lates schumacher editions have the same dial configuration than the legendary vintage daytonas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
georges zaslavsky said:
The black subdials on a white dial, the black subdials on a red dial, the black subdials on a green dial, the white subdials on black dial, the white subdials on a red dial, the black subdials on a gold dial and the exotic dials were all the declinaisons of dials you could have when you baught a daytona from the years 1969 till 1986. I haven't seen a tricompax layout similar to old daytos on Heuers and Hamiltons unless I am uninformed.
For you Georges ;-)

Picture from TheDash

And please remeber, this is a forum to share the joy of Omega too, even the ones made today. A lot of members do like them.
I can easily report a lot of people having the cal 33xx withouth any problems at all.
Might be a possibility that the new ones will work too ;-)

Cheers Jon

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, John. I thought I'd seen similar Hamiltons, too, but it may have been a different layout.

eric

·
Premium Member
13,339 Posts
Jon said:
For you Georges ;-)

Picture from TheDash

And please remeber, this is a forum to share the joy of Omega too, even the ones made today. A lot of members do like them.
I can easily report a lot of people having the cal 33xx withouth any problems at all.
Might be a possibility that the new ones will work too ;-)

Cheers Jon
The european 33xx owners have never knew a single problem on that we agree. But I was talking about 33xx problems occuring mainly and repetitively in the U.S.A. I have nothing against sharing the joy of liking the new models even if they aren't fitted iwth inhouse movements. ;-) That heuer was no produced during 17 years as compared to the 6263,6265 daytos, yes it has a very close look of the dayto dial but the dayto dial was available with white gold indexes or steel gold indexes. The swiss t on the vintage dayto is written under the hours subcounter dial at 6 like this t-swiss made-t or o-t-swiss made-t-o for models with white gold index dials, o meaning or or gold in french.
Always good to have great debates:-! :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
georges zaslavsky said:
The european 33xx owners have never knew a single problem on that we agree. But I was talking about 33xx problems occuring mainly and repetitively in the U.S.A. I have nothing against sharing the joy of liking the new models even if they aren't fitted iwth inhouse movements. ;-) That heuer was no produced during 17 years as compared to the 6263,6265 daytos, yes it has a very close look of the dayto dial but the dayto dial was available with white gold indexes or steel gold indexes. The swiss t on the vintage dayto is written under the hours subcounter dial at 6 like this t-swiss made-t or o-t-swiss made-t-o for models with white gold index dials, o meaning or or gold in french.
Always good to have great debates:-! :)
Georges, in a good debate the rules has to be equal for all parts
You said the Omega was a Daytona copy, and that to your knowledge there was no Heuer having a dial like the Daytona. You said nothing at all about being produced for 17 years
I would say this one is maybe even closer to the Val72 Daytona, than the Schumie. If you want to go into details, I guess the schumie from last year does not have the T on the dial either
Either they are a copy, or they are like you says, very close.

Jon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts