·
4,405 Posts
Nice to see, but typical...

1/2 the information wrong, or missing altogether. :-(

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would actually appreciate it if you were specific about what is incorrect or missing so we can make changes for any future articles.

There isn't a whole lot out there in English on Russian watches, and, not surprisingly, much of it is contradictory to one another. We would love to have a definitive history to refer to for the future, but that seems elusive.

Seriously, if anyone wants to get us good solid info together, we will work to make sure it is correct in coming articles, of which there will be more.

This was cobbled together from many sources (the International Watch one)... In fact, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of it came off sites and articles connected to the forum.

I'm not sure where WWA got their info. I would even welcome a specific, point-by-point breakdown of the articles, with correct info and an education on the specifics.

Might make a good thread, but any information you could send me off line is welcome...

thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I know its not ever good to publish incorrect information, but I do think it is good that the Western watch media is starting to take a greater interest in Russian watches... And a good bit of the information comes from the manufacturers, who live in this everyday.

Is it really that it is "wrong" info in here or just omitted? We can't control how much space they give us, so missing info in the narrative is pretty much inevitable.

But if something is factually incorrect (I'm not talking about opinion statements about quality or one brand versus another) but a true factual error about when something happened or the name of something, who actually made it, etc., please let us know.

If there are really important events that are missing, then pass those along as well, and we will try to get them in for the future where we can.

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a question to Strela and Michele regarding their comments...
1/2 the information wrong, or missing altogether. :-(
The second one is better.
What sort of information is incorrect? Surely lots of people have read the articles and ask the same question .....:-S.
I think it would be very good if Strela and Michel could be more concrete. Maybe we could work on the mistakes (if there are some) all together? Finally we are all interested in correct and complete information in the forum :)
There is a saying in Russian which can be translated word by word: "If you said "A", please say "B" as well".
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
No problem, all in all, the knowledge of the Russian watches is still low (and i know less than other persons on this forum for sure), anyway here are some mistakes from the first article:

-As far as i know, "Paul Buhrè" was not a Swiss watchmaker. He was a Czech immigrant (Pavel Buhre) who started a pre-revolution watchmaking in Russia.
-The 3133 was not the first Swiss-originated chronograph. The article even does not mention the 3017. O|

The second article is much better, and also with very nice pics. Indipendently from the correctness, it is much more detailed and interesting. Perhaps i will post it in the Articles section. B-)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks a lot, Michele :)
That helps a lot already. I hope that Strela
will add much more additional information soon.
;-)

·
Registered
297 Posts
No problem, all in all, the knowledge of the Russian watches is still low (and i know less than other persons on this forum for sure), anyway here are some mistakes from the first article:

-As far as i know, "Paul Buhrè" was not a Swiss watchmaker. He was a Czech immigrant (Pavel Buhre) who started a pre-revolution watchmaking in Russia.
-The 3133 was not the first Swiss-originated chronograph. The article even does not mention the 3017. O|

The second article is much better, and also with very nice pics. Indipendently from the correctness, it is much more detailed and interesting. Perhaps i will post it in the Articles section. B-)
Pavel Buhre was a swiss watchmaker indeed. While he established his shop and workshop in Peterburg in 1815 he also startet his watch factory in LeLocle, Switzerland. The firm of Buhre lastet until 1979 when it was taken over by Dixi-Mechanique. Buhre, like all the other foreign watchmakers in Russia, had to leave Russia in 1917. Their workshops were eventually integrated into what was to become the MEMZ, later Gostrest and the Second Moscow Watch Factory.

Regards
Raketa

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good stuff! If this gets some good discussion going about the history, then should be worthwhile. Michele, you can certainly put one or both of these in the articles section if you like. We have permission to use them for informational and promotional purposes.

We have plans in the works for several articles in the North American watch press about Russian watches next year, so this thread should be a big help in sorting out any inaccuracies.

thanks!

Oh... and Irina, thanks for weighing in...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts