WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided about a week or two ago that A.) I have too many watches, B.) I want a new watch and C.) to sell all my watches.

This led me down an interesting path, from photographing all of them, posting all of them (popular auction site) and now I'm in this weird limbo while I watch the auctions of watches I've owned for up to 7+ years get sold. In the end I don't tie memories to watches, so I'm not emotionally attached to any of them in that regard, but some I've had for so long they do feel like family at times and it's a collection I'm proud of.

What I am stoked about is I play to use 1/3 of the proceeds to pay off some random bills and use 2/3 of the proceeds to buy a new watch or two.

So has anyone else done this or thought of it?

-Troy

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I'm new to this, but since a lot of the fun is getting new stuff, I figured I'd be doing something like this every few years if I keep up with it... although selling ALL of them seems like it might be hard, I could definitely see myself getting rid of all but 1 or 2.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I kind of do tie some memories and get attached to a few watches. In particular my Explorer 2 which is my second time zone travel watch. In time clothes, shoes and other material things wear out. My watch will be around for a very long time. My Explorer 2 has been to some amazing places with me and it helps me remember some great memories of places I been around the world. It's something I can pass on to my family one day with the stories and places I been that go along with it. So no, I couldn't do it. Some watches are worth more then the sum of its parts to me.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I decided about a week or two ago that A.) I have too many watches, B.) I want a new watch and C.) to sell all my watches.

This led me down an interesting path, from photographing all of them, posting all of them (popular auction site) and now I'm in this weird limbo while I watch the auctions of watches I've owned for up to 7+ years get sold. In the end I don't tie memories to watches, so I'm not emotionally attached to any of them in that regard, but some I've had for so long they do feel like family at times and it's a collection I'm proud of.

What I am stoked about is I play to use 1/3 of the proceeds to pay off some random bills and use 2/3 of the proceeds to buy a new watch or two.

-Troy
No, I've never considered that and I'm sorry that I even read about you doing it ..... good by and good luck in therapy .....

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I think if you are ok with selling all your watches, you bought the wrong watches.
Hmm... that's curious. Are tastes not allowed to change over time? I have trouble imagining buying a watch that I wouldn't be OK selling at some point, no matter how much I like it. People are different.

Reactions: Brey17 and Der Amf

·
Registered
293 Posts
You must be on the wrong forum

·
Registered
99 Posts
mchent - The fact that you are willing to do this, and are telling us about it (AFTER doing so) means YOU DO NOT NEED THERAPY! In my book you are solid. I hope to someday have the perspective and clear vision you have. When you do select a new watch(s) you will undoubtedly enjoy a new and dynamic vibe that will enhance your enjoyment of the new piece. Best wishes.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I've moved a few on....They just had design flaws that only show up after ownership.
Or as you've stated, tastes change...It happens. Example,a few years ago I loved
peanut butter, ate the stuff at least 3/4 times a week...haven't touched it in over a year.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I'm new to this, but since a lot of the fun is getting new stuff, I figured I'd be doing something like this every few years if I keep up with it....
True enough while your nascent, but as you mature in the hobby they may serve as little reminders of events during your lifetime that you desire to share with the next generation.
The watch I was wearing when my daughter was born, the first time I gazed into those beautiful brown eyes; it belongs to her.

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
Variety sounds cool and there are tons of watches I would like to own but for money. I could part with all of what I currently have save one that's out of production and very difficult to find. Sounds like a level headed plan for you . . .

Reactions: Brey17 and Der Amf

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Just did this to some degree. Sold five, bought two. Might sell some more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,228 Posts

-Troy
Hmm... that's curious. Are tastes not allowed to change over time? I have trouble imagining buying a watch that I wouldn't be OK selling at some point, no matter how much I like it. People are different.
Well I bought a Rado so my tastes definitely changed over time. Also sold a triple date moon phase chronograph that I used to love but suddenly looked too cluttered. So my tastes change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I feel like if I did this, I would end up repurchasing half of them anyways since I like them so much. So for me it would just be a roundabout way of ending up with the same core of watches with a slightly lighter wallet. ;)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts