WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
needs some advice from WUS friends.

A friend of mine since childhood is selling his Aqua Terra black face, 39mm co-ax. He called me yesterday and mentioned it in passing so I asked him how much.

Turns out he is selling it for around half the discounted MSRP for a brand new one here, but the deal is that it has to be bundled with a Phillip Stein "Teslar" watch.

Both watches combined, the price is around 1700 USD. Estimating the cost of a brand new Teslar would be around 500 to 600 USD, making the AT around 1200.

I'm not really looking for another AT (I have the white faced, rose gold indices model) but from what I've seen on the forum and in many reviews, the black on this AT is nice, to say the least. Any guys out there own two Aqua Terra's?

And what would I do with the Teslar? My wife would certainly appreciate it but I find it to be a faddish watch and I'm trying to steer her away from quartzes. Besides, I'm saving up for an (its' now definite) Electric Blue and/or a Speedmaster Broad Arrow Rattrapante.

Any thoughts?

Glimmer

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Well, at that price could you flip it and recover all your money? I would think you could sell the other for at least a couple hundred if you really had to get rid of it. Personally, I don't know if I would want 2 Aqua Terras. They are great, but you already have the best looking one IMO. $1700 will get you a lot of preowned watch. Maybe something you don't already have? - David

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Think about this - You could use those 1700$ towards a nice Speedmaster Pro.....

And the only thing the Teslar watch should be bundled with is "Snake oil" and a weegee board....

·
Vendor
6,391 Posts
needs some advice from WUS friends.

I'm not really looking for another AT

And what would I do with the Teslar?

Besides, I'm saving up for an (its' now definite) Electric Blue and/or a Speedmaster Broad Arrow Rattrapante.

Any thoughts?

Glimmer
I think you have given the answer in your own question ! :-!

I have just bought a Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT, beautiful watch, the Ratty is what I would be saving for if I was you.

All the best !!!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
It sounds like the "deal" has more appeal that the watch, C. I'd put the money towards something you really want.

eric

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I figure it like this.....

If I didn't have an Aqua Terra and had to take the Telsar.....maybe if my wife really wanted it, I'd do it. You already got an AT and Your wife
could take or leave the Telsar.....so, no I wouldn't. No one likes a good
deal more than me. Save for the Broad Arrow and you'll be happier in the
long run. Hell, I like the AT you got a whole lot better than the black
faced one anyway. Nothing wrong with the black face but the white face with the gold looks super. Thats my take. Its been a hard lesson to learn
for me that a good deal ain't a good deal if you didn't want it to begin with.
jim

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, at that price could you flip it and recover all your money? I would think you could sell the other for at least a couple hundred if you really had to get rid of it. Personally, I don't know if I would want 2 Aqua Terras. They are great, but you already have the best looking one IMO. $1700 will get you a lot of preowned watch. Maybe something you don't already have? - David
I don't think I could recover the money, at least not that fast. If only he was selling the white faced with the blue indices...I'd give it much more thought now that I've read all the advice...:thanks

Think about this - You could use those 1700$ towards a nice Speedmaster Pro.....

And the only thing the Teslar watch should be bundled with is "Snake oil" and a weegee board....
I know! I'd like to have another, perhaps an earlier model.
I think you have given the answer in your own question ! :-!

I have just bought a Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT, beautiful watch, the Ratty is what I would be saving for if I was you.

All the best !!!
I believe you're right! How's the BA? I saw a pic of it (someone posted it somewhere) side by side with a R. Daytona. But the Rattrapante is really something to behold...

It sounds like the "deal" has more appeal that the watch, C. I'd put the money towards something you really want.

eric
I think you got me there Eric. That's really what throws me off though. Why is he selling it at that kind of price when he is one of the stingiest guys I've known since Kindergarten.

If I didn't have an Aqua Terra and had to take the Telsar.....maybe if my wife really wanted it, I'd do it. You already got an AT and Your wife
could take or leave the Telsar.....so, no I wouldn't. No one likes a good
deal more than me. Save for the Broad Arrow and you'll be happier in the
long run. Hell, I like the AT you got a whole lot better than the black
faced one anyway. Nothing wrong with the black face but the white face with the gold looks super. Thats my take. Its been a hard lesson to learn
for me that a good deal ain't a good deal if you didn't want it to begin with.
jim
Very logical, and practical advice...I think the BA it is!

Thanks for the advice guys. Didn't expect these responses that fast, though very timely because I just met my friend at a restaurant to see the watches. The black AT is really black, a little too black for my taste, though I would understand why a lot like it. I kind of convinced him to keep the AT...one good deed for the day!

Many, many thanks!:)

Glimmer

·
Registered
8,149 Posts

eric

I agree. Wait until what you exactly want comes along.

mike.

·
Vendor
6,391 Posts
I believe you're right! How's the BA? I saw a pic of it (someone posted it somewhere) side by side with a R. Daytona. But the Rattrapante is really something to behold...

Glimmer
The Broad Arrow GMT is getting plenty of wrist time, really do like it, I preferred the silver dial to a black, but everyone to themselves, we are all human after all. I saw a few Rattrapante's on my trip, stunning looking pieces but were all at RRP so not tempted.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Broad Arrow GMT is getting plenty of wrist time, really do like it, I preferred the silver dial to a black, but everyone to themselves, we are all human after all. I saw a few Rattrapante's on my trip, stunning looking pieces but were all at RRP so not tempted.
Nice pic! The silver or white (if they have one) would be a nice change for me...any indication of the price range of the Ratts?

Glimmer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts