WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an Apple Developer and Huge Apple stockholder, it pains me to acknowledge this trend. The article below is not mine but the experience of a loyal Apple family. This makes me glad to be NOT updating my 2 old MacBook Pros, NOT updating my 3 year old iPhone 5 & 5S (yes I carry two iPhones) and NOT updating my 2 iPad3 and NOT updating one of my iPad Airs. I did update my other iPad Air and it has been a big PIA to get up to speed with corrupted passwords to email accounts and slow to update apps.

A Declining Trajectory - Matt Gemmell

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
Can't imagine what he's doing wrong.

Now, I gotta admit, I had to reformat my four-year-old MBP a couple weeks ago because it wouldn't boot (first time ever reformatting any of my computers, going back to my RevA iBook), but the process itself wasn't too bad. Most of my time was spent waiting for files to migrate onto an external drive and back.

That's one hiccup. Besides that, all my devices work fine, and they're all on the freshest OSes they'll run.

One thing I haven't tried yet is using my watch to unlock a computer, but that's only because my MBP is too old. I've read of being able to install a replacement wifi card to gain support, but because it looks like I won't need to take my MBP away from home, I don't really need to lock it anyway. BUT, others are having a hit-and-miss time getting it to work, and they're not sure if it's because they're using different names for their Apple IDs, or authorizing devices in the wrong sequence, or whatever.

There's also macOS Sierra's automated file management features, most of which I haven't yet turned on. If you choose, it can do things like remove already-watched movies and TV shows to save space, move your entire Documents and Desktop folders to iCloud (also to save space, and to sync across your computers) -- things like that. I think it's an attempt to make it easier to live with onboard storage of 500 GB and less, and it could really help with backing up important files. But, having my stuff live somewhere else is a big change, and the only reason I might, potentially, possibly, consider doing it is my recent experiences (all positive, mind you) of keeping my coding projects in Github repositories.

My real concern is that even the Mac is getting to be geek-friendly while losing the accessibility for Joe Schmoe. Cloud storage by itself is kind of a mindf**k; it took a while for my programming class to grasp it, so imagine trying to explain it to Mom & Dad. Apple's trying to simplify it on the user end, but as a concept, it's very different from the past thirty years of personal computing, no matter how it's presented.

BUT.... even though I was able to fully reformat and repair my Mac with just an external drive and no crazy Terminal commands... maybe it would have been easier, or at least less nerve-wracking, to have an automatic off-site backup available.

Still, when I look over at Windows 10 updates breaking people's systems, or Android fragmentation, or Blackberry ceasing hardware production, I'm relieved about using Apple.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Looks like Matt took down the page and associated Tweets. Perhaps it was a similar post to what Marco Arment wrote a year or two ago.

I'm relatively new to the Apple ecosystem (last 5 years or so) and have been a long time Windows user. I can confidently say (after using the MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and Watch) that though Apple isn't perfect, it's a much better choice for a regular user like myself. Things tend to fail less often.

Though I do think the AW has been the most unstable of all these products thus far.

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
Apple users tend to be the most demanding of the products, too. I think it's part of what drew them to Apple in the first place.

Remember in the other thread when ronaldheld (I think?) asked how often we rebooted our watches or iPhones and I replied, "If I had to reboot my device every day, I'd get rid of it."? Yeah, we're like that.

·
Registered
989 Posts
. . . iPhone 5 & 5S (yes I carry two iPhones) . . .
Here you hit on a minor gripe about the iPhone series (and other phones primarily intended for the US market). They only hold one SIM. I have noticed that the phones I have purchased while in China have two SIM ports and it is quite handy. The phones even alert me as to which sim an incoming call is on and they allow me to select the correct SIM for outgoing. This makes it easy to amge a personal and a work number on the same phone.

. . . like I said, just an annoyance.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Might be relevant in this thread -- a short post at CNBC looking at a bigger picture:
Don’t laugh at AirPods — they’re part of Apple's ‘ambient paradigm’: UBS

"Ambient paradigm" is the phrase to think about.
Which sounds like the "Apple Experience Era" that Above Avalon talked about:

Above Avalon: WWDC Clues Hint at Apple's Post-iPhone Era

I think the idea makes sense, in particular the part about how different people will choose and value devices differently.

Once the AW becomes detached from the phone, it could be quite compelling to use the AW and AirPods together sometimes without the phone.

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
Which sounds like the "Apple Experience Era" that Above Avalon talked about:

Above Avalon: WWDC Clues Hint at Apple's Post-iPhone Era

I think the idea makes sense, in particular the part about how different people will choose and value devices differently.

Once the AW becomes detached from the phone, it could be quite compelling to use the AW and AirPods together sometimes without the phone.
Using a different device for each situation makes a lot of sense. I'm doing it right now, sitting at my laptop with my phone mostly dormant on the table and my Watch on my wrist.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here you hit on a minor gripe about the iPhone series (and other phones primarily intended for the US market). They only hold one SIM. I have noticed that the phones I have purchased while in China have two SIM ports and it is quite handy. The phones even alert me as to which sim an incoming call is on and they allow me to select the correct SIM for outgoing. This makes it easy to amge a personal and a work number on the same phone.

. . . like I said, just an annoyance.
Actually the two iPhones are both on AT&T network. One is jailbroken (and holds no financial data) to use as a modem for my iPads and MacBook so I can avoid the extra fee they try to charge me to tether devices to an iPhone.

Also I use both to multitask on the road, one has Waze for GPS and traffic info, including avoidance of upcoming traffic jams, police road blocks and bad weather. The other for entertainment, podcasts, music and Sirius radio over the internet.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not upgrading the phones is silly. I just got the 7+ for myself, girlfriend and father. It blows the last ones out of the water. Also, all are on the upgrade plan so I don't even have to bother selling or trading after a year for another new one.
Im still using a year old mbp, and don't usually upgrade computers with new models unless the old one gets hurt.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Was the article about software updates?? Hard to guess when it doesn't exist anymore. I've been using apple products since the 80s. Good backup procedures make updates easy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm a loyal Apple fan (and I own and am pretty happy with most of their products). But I just can't fall in love with the Apple Watch. I've been wearing a nice stainless steel version on and off since it first came out but somehow it ends up in the drawer more and more. I love my mechanical watches (so I'm probably not their target demographic to begin with). If they only added the ability for us to totally customize our watchfaces, or at least gave us a ton of them (and make them attractive) I might be more inclined to wear. As it is now, it's just ​boring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not upgrading the phones is silly. I just got the 7+ for myself, girlfriend and father. It blows the last ones out of the water. Also, all are on the upgrade plan so I don't even have to bother selling or trading after a year for another new one.
Im still using a year old mbp, and don't usually upgrade computers with new models unless the old one gets hurt.
I preordered the standard iPhone 7 in matte black but returned it after a few days as I really didn't like the fact the carriers in the UK and Apple have profiteered by using Brexit as an excuse. It bugged me I am happy to admit. My contract was £200 more than the last one and having compared the iPhone 7 to the iPhone 6S, I really didn't see enough of a difference to justify the expense. I now own a 6S and am very happy with a mechanical watch lol.

If the iPhone 7 blows its predecessor out of the water, I sure as hell missed it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for the link, zeta. Haven't perused it much but it reminds of daring fireball. Smart guys that write well; Apple enthusiasts make nice websites.

I've rejoined the fold in the last few years (2015 MBP, AWS1, an iPad 3, ATV, and an iPhone SE that I've had since launch) after taking a hiatus from Apple since selling my Bondi Blue iMac several years ago. After a decade of Windows and PC hardware (although I used an iPod classic during that time) it is really nice using Apple kit again. So much better, imho, re: UX design, seamless integration between my devices, and outstanding hardware. 

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
Having just picked up my work laptop from my new job -- an out-of-warranty Dell which had been updated to Windows 10 -- I'll posit that if the Mac becomes half as bad as it used to be, it'll still be twice as good as Windows.

My distaste for the Dell has nothing to do with its performance and everything to do with its OS -- and, in particular, its UI. I can't imagine owning a Windows computer long-term. I feel like its designers hate people.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My distaste for the Dell has nothing to do with its performance and everything to do with its OS -- and, in particular, its UI. I can't imagine owning a Windows computer long-term. I feel like its designers hate people.
Ouch. Well I'm in the same boat, having grown up with Windows for the past 20 odd years. Having discovered the Apple ecosystem via the original iPhone, I dream of the day that my work gives me MacBooks...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts