WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here.Firstly I would like to say greetings from Australia.
Secondly,I would like to bring to everyones attention the huge amount of fake turtles getting about on ebay lately.
So I was wondering,if at all possible,would it be helpfull to have a sticky thread at the top of every brand page,that could help new enthusiasts look for fakes?

A dedicated sticky "HOW TO SPOT A FAKE SEIKO"
All the fakes we see could be listed,and people can get an idea of what to look for.

Ebay,Australia only,newly listed Auction to find listing.

I was just on ebay,naturally…I noticed another new turtle had been listed.It is a padi turtle. The seller says "Given to me by a mate,no box or tags,asking $350 to $500 buy now".
This is utterly disgusting. The bloody thing is a fake...… How can we tell? The NH35 serial number on the dial,the different case back font,buggered flat lume,poor photo's because he doesn't want anyone to notice it's fake.

I would bet that the seller knows it's a fake.Hence the "Given to me by a mate" line...….

I hope that anyone looking at that watch to buy, has read this and will stay well clear of it.Cheers!!

So would a new sticky thread titled "How to spot a fake Seiko" be of any help? It could very well be.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello. New here.Firstly I would like to say greetings from Australia.
Secondly,I would like to bring to everyones attention the huge amount of fake turtles getting about on ebay lately.
So I was wondering,if at all possible,would it be helpfull to have a sticky thread at the top of every brand page,that could help new enthusiasts look for fakes?

A dedicated sticky "HOW TO SPOT A FAKE SEIKO"
All the fakes we see could be listed,and people can get an idea of what to look for.

Ebay,Australia only,newly listed Auction to find listing.

I was just on ebay,naturally…I noticed another new turtle had been listed.It is a padi turtle. The seller says "Given to me by a mate,no box or tags,asking $350 to $500 buy now".
This is utterly disgusting. The bloody thing is a fake...… How can we tell? The NH35 serial number on the dial,the different case back font,buggered flat lume,poor photo's because he doesn't want anyone to notice it's fake.

I would bet that the seller knows it's a fake.Hence the "Given to me by a mate" line...….

I hope that anyone looking at that watch to buy, has read this and will stay well clear of it.Cheers!!

So would a new sticky thread titled "How to spot a fake Seiko" be of any help? It could very well be.
I've reported these fakes to ebay over a dozen times.
Nothing ever happens and they sell.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion about fake watches isn't allowed on this forum.

Forum Rules and Guidelines said:
9 . No discussions or pictures of replica watches, or links to replica watch sites unless previously approved by a Moderator or site Administrators. In general, any posts that involve the discussion, encouragement, or solicitation of any kind of illegal activities, whether watch-related or not, is strictly prohibited.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's a shame.I to have reported quite a few recently and they still are not removed,and sell.

Thankyou for reminding me of the forum rules Clyde_frog.

Although, wouldn't the discussion of sharkey's and the uploading of the pictures fall under this "No discussions or pictures of replica watches"?

I certainly didn't start the thread to upset anyone.Nor encourage illegal activities.... But here's one, wouldn't a moderator made, WUS approved sticky,about the sale of fake watches on ebay,be a help to new comers of the enthusiasm,and not a hinderance?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sharkeys dont normally have SEIKO on them. The fakes in most cases do implying IT IS A SEIKO manufactured watch. The German seller even states 'REFURBISHED BY SEIKO JAPAN'.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
As stated above the sharky and merkur tuna homage watches dont claim to be Seiko watches so they are allowed

Yes it's a shame.I to have reported quite a few recently and they still are not removed,and sell.

Thankyou for reminding me of the forum rules Clyde_frog.

Although, wouldn't the discussion of sharkey's and the uploading of the pictures fall under this "No discussions or pictures of replica watches"?

I certainly didn't start the thread to upset anyone.Nor encourage illegal activities.... But here's one, wouldn't a moderator made, WUS approved sticky,about the sale of fake watches on ebay,be a help to new comers of the enthusiasm,and not a hinderance?

·
Premium Member
71,389 Posts
I can see why your idea of a sticky might run into the mud. Some of these fake are bloomin good and might not register on the WUS list of checks and potentially a situation could arise where someone said “well WUS said it was O.K.”

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion about fake watches isn't allowed on this forum.
It's pretty clear to me that rule is to prohibit discussions or pictures of replica watches with the intent of facilitating the sale of, encouraging the purchase of, or anything else that helps the counterfeit industry. In this case the OP is suggesting the opposite - exposing the scammers to try to keep WUS members from falling prey to them.

If WUS would prohibit these sort of "scam alert" posts I think it would be very misguided literalism on their part, without any mind to the apparent purpose of the rule.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts