WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further proof that the quality of a watch, and resultant affection for it, is not correlated to its price tag. This beauty arrived last week, and I love it:

The SBCA001. And the quality of its design, execution, and authentic Made-In-Japan workmanship is astonishing, especially when considering its modest price tag.

• [*=left]The size (36mm w/o crown) is classic, comfortable, and so eminently wearable.
  • The dial (perfectly matte black) and the hands (a stark, vivid, white) are impeccably finished, and I think they're very attractively designed & styled.
  • Unlike many Seiko's, I like that the date wheel is black with white printing, and that it does not show the day-of-the-week. Both of those little elements make the watch look cleaner and more "mil-spec" / holistic.
  • The watch looks fantastic on the wrist -- super legible and just so very clean, crisp, and balanced. To me it looks even better in person than pictures can convey.
  • The workmanship is flawless. Love the matte gray beadblasted case, which is silky smooth and again, perfectly finished. The seconds hand hits every marker perfectly as it ticks. I guess none of this should surprise me -- after all, this is a Seiko, right?
  • It's one of those watches that would seem like a good value at quadruple its price.

The lume is excellent - among the best I've ever encountered. The numerals and hands are well lumed with long-lasting luminova (picture copped from google images):

The only question mark, for me, is the bracelet. The quality is just fine, but I'm not a big fan of the looks. The satin center link segments contrasted with the bead blasted matte outer segments more than I liked. I am thinking of taking a scotchbrite pad to brush out the whole thing. We'll see.

In the meantime, I think it looks fantastic on this brown buffalo-grained leather strap w/ contrasting stitch.

Sometimes the best solution is the simple solution. This humble, simple, watch is one genuinely pleasant surprise. Kudos to Seiko. :-! Seiya said it best, and I quote:

There are two sides to Seiko Japan watches. One side is best-of-best like Grand Seiko, Credor, and high-end Prospex, if you can afford one. The other side of Seiko is excellent watch at great price. Seiko Spirit Military SBCA001 is best example. It's amazing you can buy a watch of this quality at this price.

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Dave

PS -- I couldn't decide what forum to post this mini-review in. Pilot/Military? Seiko? It could easily go in either. But the friendly confines of the Affordables forum just seemed to fit the vibe of this watch.

PPS -- Here's a comparison to a couple of my other regular wearers:

· Registered
8,114 Posts
Reactions: avusblue

· Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments. This strap is very much in the spirit of the "Affordables" forum: it is a Voguestrap purchased from Amazon for all of $9.95 shipped. Very nice strap -- good looking, and with quality that you wouldn't expect at that low price. It came with a high-polished steel buckle & keeper, but I brushed those out with a 3M pad to tone it down and better match the matte surface of the watch. I think the strap goes with the watch very well.

Voguestrap TX77720BN Allstrap 20mm Brown Regular-Length Genuine Leather-Contrast Stitch Watchband: Watches: Amazon.com

If you don't mind me asking, what strap is that?

· Registered
217 Posts
Thanks, I'm not usually one to play "follow the leader", but with how nice that strap looks, and how affordable it is, I think I'm gonna have to for once.
Thanks for the compliments. This strap is very much in the spirit of the "Affordables" forum: it is a Voguestrap purchased from Amazon for all of $9.95 shipped. Very nice strap -- good looking, and with quality that you wouldn't expect at that low price. It came with a high-polished steel buckle & keeper, but I brushed those out with a 3M pad to tone it down and better match the matte surface of the watch. I think the strap goes with the watch very well.

Voguestrap TX77720BN Allstrap 20mm Brown Regular-Length Genuine Leather-Contrast Stitch Watchband: Watches: Amazon.com

· Banned
591 Posts
The SBCA001 is great. A natural fit on a Maratac NATO strap.

There is something so pure and right about this watch. It goes completely unnoticed but still has many subtle details to satisfy the hardcore WIS: The true matte black dial, the black date disc, the bead blast finish on the case and the great lume. A truly satisfying grab-'n-go beater.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.