WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a KINETIC diver a few months back. Yeah, the same one that all yous have.

Everything was honky dory. I ravished it the first week, then, being the rake that I am, I went on to dating other watches.
But I made sure she was provided for, by winding her up to full 20-sec reserve. Good for at least 6 months.

Now, I see the second hand lurching.
Which surprised me, as it was supposed to be good for 6 months on a full 20 sec charge.
OK, so, I baby it, rock it gently, while surfing the net. I did this for one hour or so, for three consecutive nights.
NO RESPONSE!! NOT charging! At all!
Still lurching, like it's in its death throes.
Wha?
I think the seller gave me a lemon. Maybe it's an old model.
But it's too late to send it back to the seller.
What do I do?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sounds like the rechargeable battery has pretty much given up, I had this happen with one of mine last year. I went on the bay and bought a kit with the tools, seal, grease and most importantly the battery for about £30 and changed it myself, it wasn't too bad really.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the rechargeable battery has pretty much given up, I had this happen with one of mine last year. I went on the bay and bought a kit with the tools, seal, grease and most importantly the battery for about £30 and changed it myself, it wasn't too bad really.
Thx mate.
Yes, your diagnosis is mine as well.
But your remedy, while possible, is really troubling for the cost involved.
Why so much?? Dang. I might be better off selling it for parts.... unless the warranty covers it.
It's only a few months old! (At least for me.)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Which model is it? I'm assuming it's a 5M6X movement?

When was it made? I had 10 years of use before I needed to replace mine, Seiko wanted something like £100 to replace it, and people on here seemed to have replaced them easily enough!

Are there any signs that the case back has been removed? The previous owner may have tried replacing the cell and not done it correctly, or damaged the movement coils by accident.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought it new.

This model: SKA371.JPG

No sign of tampering.
Whatever was done or not done, the problem remains the same, as does the solution. Shi*te~!
My wife has another kinetic model, and it has been a real humdinger forever, so I know normally they work just fine. Either the seller is vile, or I got a lemon.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ah! I'm sorry but I have to agree with you, vile seller or lemon... bugger, that is not good! I'd contact the seller to try and have it replaced, if that is an option? Failing that try Seiko with a warranty claim.

Reactions: Chronopolis

·
Registered
540 Posts
In the manual, it shows that a 20 sec indication of power reserve is only 1 (to 4) months of power reserve. Even "charging" it by hand every so often while on conference calls, I've yet to get mine to 30 sec indication (4-6 months).

When I first got mine, I charged it for an hour or so, went to bed only to find it was lurching the next morning. Repeated the exercise and had the same problem the next day. I know I was checking the power reserve level every couple of hours while charging, so I was probably negating the effect of charging. I'd recharge for a week without checking power reserve (tempting to do it I know!) and see if you can get it to 30 sec indicated power (min 4 months) before declaring it a lemon.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the manual, it shows that a 20 sec indication of power reserve is only 1 (to 4) months of power reserve. Even "charging" it by hand every so often while on conference calls, I've yet to get mine to 30 sec indication (4-6 months).

When I first got mine, I charged it for an hour or so, went to bed only to find it was lurching the next morning. Repeated the exercise and had the same problem the next day. I know I was checking the power reserve level every couple of hours while charging, so I was probably negating the effect of charging. I'd recharge for a week without checking power reserve (tempting to do it I know!) and see if you can get it to 30 sec indicated power (min 4 months) before declaring it a lemon.
U have a recharger? I don't. Strictly manual.
But wouldn't ya think 3+ hours of waving the thing would get it juiced at least up to 10 seconds on the reservometer?
Or even 5??

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
When mine was looking like needing a battery change and was nearly always on the verge of the 2 sec tick, I remember reading that a sign that it was the battery at fault, was to shake the watch furiously for about 10 secs (i think?!) or so, if the battery was knackered then when you pressed the power reserve button it would register a 20 - 30 sec power reserve reading, but then drop back down to 5 within a short space of time. I tried it at the time and that was the case with mine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
U have a recharger? I don't. Strictly manual.
But wouldn't ya think 3+ hours of waving the thing would get it juiced at least up to 10 seconds on the reservometer?
Or even 5??
no charger. Manual states 250 swings for 1 day of reserve, which is 45,000 swings for full charge. This would equate to 7,500 swings for 1 month (20 sec indicated) reserve or 1,750 swings for 1 week (10 sec indicated) of reserve.

At the rate I swing it, I figured it was about an hour of manually charging it for a month of reserve.

I did find on getting mine, that it seemed fussy about "how" I was swinging the watch. Initially, I wasn't getting a good "swing" of the rotor and charging efforts seemed in vain. I then tried various swing rates, distances and angles until I found one where I could clearly hear the rotor moving in a smooth rhythmic manner. Once I got this dialed in, it charged up pretty consistently.

I'm not discounting you may have a defective watch, just sharing what I learned when I got mine.

HTH

·
Registered
357 Posts
lol...damn they are picky aren't they? I've still yet to find a buyer here locally but as soon as I do, this thing is gone and I am strictly going to be an auto guy...good luck mate...I hope you get it sorted

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Take it for a few runs, that will give it enough motion that you can tell definitely whether the battery is dead or not. If the battery is dead, replace it. It's just a Li cell, so not expensive, and not a difficult procedure.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I been shaking it hard for a while now. Up to 5 sec now, and ticking all proper-like.
I hope it doesn't make my right arm get too big, with summer coming up and all.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
lol...damn they are picky aren't they? I've still yet to find a buyer here locally but as soon as I do, this thing is gone and I am strictly going to be an auto guy...good luck mate...I hope you get it sorted
I have an SMY003 with the 5M63 movement, the same as the BFK (5M62) but with a Day wheel as well, I've had it 12 years and it has only last year needed a cell change, which as Jason said isn't expensive or difficult. It's been a great watch, and based on the life of this battery it hopefully won't need opening up until 2023 now!

With the power reserve on the the 5M6X movement lasting so long the SMY003 or the BFK make perfect grab n go watches.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Up to 10 sec now. Shaking like crazy.
Hoo-aah! I didn't know she liked it rough. Well, alrighty then, no more Mr. Gentleman. ;)
See how she does by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Up to 10 sec now. Shaking like crazy.
Hoo-aah! I didn't know she liked it rough. Well, alrighty then, no more Mr. Gentleman. ;)
See how she does by tomorrow.
You still talking about your watch!! :-d

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
THANK YOU ALL for your help!

I revved her up to 20sec reserve last night before I fell asleep, and upon waking after 12 hours, I found her ticking away happily with 20 sec still in her belly.
Now, THAT's how you satisfy a watch. :-!
My wrist feels its virility restored, and redeemed. :-d
I guess I'll keep her. ;-)
Or, she me. :think:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Charging a new Kinetic watch is a pain in the *ss process. My arm got pain after 1 week trying to charge my first Kinetic, and it stil cannot stay stable at 20sec power level. I was thinking of return it back to the shop just like you.

But after wearing it and play 2 hour of tennis, it was stable at 20sec power level. I tried to charge it that way again for 2 x 2hour tennis another day and it stayed stable at 30sec power level till now (not wearing it oftenly). Even after 2 week not wearing it, it still ran smoothly and still at 30sec power level.

Now Im very happy with it in my collection.
Sorry for my bad English.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts