WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's my first "real" dive watch. I suppose my Ebel Sportswave was a diver too, but I didn't wear it all that much due to the really heavy bracelet (and case!), even though the build quality was pretty much unassailable.

Since I started wearing the SBDC003, it's gained just 1 second in 2 days! I got the bracelet replaced with a blue leather strap though I must say that the bracelet is very comfortable indeed. I seem to prefer lighter to heavier bracelets for some strange reason (I prefer the AT2500's bracelet to the AT8500's!). Ok, enough with my gabbing and on to some pics. I apologize for the noisy images, I shot these in near darkness :-d

And, finally a wrist shot. The leather strap is pretty stiff and makes the watch appear even bigger than it is (looked a little better on the bracelet, I suppose), Anyway, it does feel "borderline" too big like my Bulova Precisionist ...

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Nice photography! And the watch looks great. But my issue with the Sumo is that every time I see a photo, I love it, and every time I wear one, I'm overwhelmed by how lukewarm it makes me feel. Like, I'm looking at your pictures, and I'm going "Man, I want one" and then I'm thinking to myself "Oh right, I just sold mine".

It is a great watch, though, and I'm glad you've bonded with it. Even though it's not for me, it's a watch I don't hesitate to recommend.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice photography! And the watch looks great. But my issue with the Sumo is that every time I see a photo, I love it, and every time I wear one, I'm overwhelmed by how lukewarm it makes me feel. Like, I'm looking at your pictures, and I'm going "Man, I want one" and then I'm thinking to myself "Oh right, I just sold mine".

It is a great watch, though, and I'm glad you've bonded with it. Even though it's not for me, it's a watch I don't hesitate to recommend.

Any particular reason you think this is? I've been lusting over a Sumo for a while but this makes me hesitate...

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot!

That's a sweet watch and looks great on your wrist. Thanks for the photos.
Thank you, Raza! As you know, I'm not one who likes divers all that much, but the Sumo's nod to Seiko's diver heritage had me wanting one. I agree with some of the other reviews on here that the case and lugs have been very thoughtfully designed (and brushing/polishing of surfaces). I only wish it were a mite thinner and sat lower on the wrist. Definitely can't complain about the accuracy, +/-0s after 76 hours!

Thanks! My wrist is 7" or thereabouts.

It doesn't look too big. What size is your wrist?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Congrats for the new Sumo. The blue dial looks very nice, every time I see one, I'm tempted to get one to go with my black dial Sumo. One of my all time favorite and one of the most refine diver in it's price range IMO.

And the watch looks just perfect on your wrist, enjoy!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Any particular reason you think this is? I've been lusting over a Sumo for a while but this makes me hesitate...
I feel the same way about the Sumo too, but I just can't put my finger on it. It was a solid quality watch and I really like the 6R15 movement, but something about it wasn't for me. Pictures of them are always enticing, but it was like the watch just didn't feel right on the wrist. I ended up with the XW Tsunami on my wrist and the Sumo has been gone for a while now.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, much!

Congrats for the new Sumo. The blue dial looks very nice, everyone I see one, I'm tempted to get one to go with my black dial Sumo. One of my all time favorite and one of the most refine diver in it's price range IMO.

And the watch looks just perfect on your wrist, enjoy!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Looks good on you. Enjoy...

·
Registered
798 Posts
very nice pick up.. congrats !!

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
I don't know man. I've had two, and each time, I've wanted to love them more than I did. Part of the reason, the only quantifiable thing I can say, is that the lug holes being so far from the case made putting aftermarket straps on it kind of futile, and I didn't particularly care for the bracelet and I absolutely hated the stock rubber strap (Seiko's benchmark for feel and comfort is the Rock of Gibraltar). But the rest of it is hard to say.

But like I said, you've got nothing to worry about as to quality. And as for reselling....mine sold within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm quite intrigued by this watch and one of the reasons, I think, is that it somehow reminds me of the 6105, in as much as the cushion case of the 05 approximates the overall size and shape of the sumo's. Of course the sumo's bezel dominates but the 20 mm lug width resembles the 19 width of the 05 and seems to impart a delicate elegance to the tool diver IMO. I've seen them on the MM rubber and that really seems to connect visually with the 05 waffle look.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot!

Looks good on you. Enjoy...
Thank you, I quite like it!

very nice pick up.. congrats !!
I suppose it looks more "refined" than the 6105, but you're right ... I guess it does project the same air of toughness while retaining some flair!

I'm quite intrigued by this watch and one of the reasons, I think, is that it somehow reminds me of the 6105, in as much as the cushion case of the 05 approximates the overall size and shape of the sumo's. Of course the sumo's bezel dominates but the 20 mm lug width resembles the 19 width of the 05 and seems to impart a delicate elegance to the tool diver IMO. I've seen them on the MM rubber and that really seems to connect visually with the 05 waffle look.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Another excellent diver from Seiko. I don't know what it is but they really know what they're doing with divers. Good looking watches that look solid even in pictures. Looks really cool...congrats man!!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, man! The only two divers I've ever considered were the Sumo and the 300MM.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I don't know man. I've had two, and each time, I've wanted to love them more than I did. Part of the reason, the only quantifiable thing I can say, is that the lug holes being so far from the case made putting aftermarket straps on it kind of futile, and I didn't particularly care for the bracelet and I absolutely hated the stock rubber strap (Seiko's benchmark for feel and comfort is the Rock of Gibraltar). But the rest of it is hard to say.

But like I said, you've got nothing to worry about as to quality. And as for reselling....mine sold within 30 minutes.
I'm going through the same thing, which is how I stumbled over this thread. Mine has been gone for a long time now and I'm thinking about getting a blue one. The thing holding me back is the size. Now that I am wearing a 40mm sub style case I think 45mm sounds nuts. The strap thing drives me nuts as I like to wear a diver on quality rubber. I'm sure the pro Sumo club will roll in with pictures to push me over the cliff, but I feel the need for another acquisition as I just haven't bonded with my new Squale.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Congrats. The blue dial looks nice. I think I would like your Ebel as well.

·
Banned
703 Posts
I've got my black sumo on my wrist today. Seriously, this watch is equal or better than an Omega Seamaster. Yes, it's a little plain mechanically and has Hardlex crystal, but case quality and accuracy are phenomenal. And for $600 approx.

I have the blue and orange versions too, but black is the better. Lusty deep dial, shiny black bezel, and shimmering silver hands and hour markers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts