WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like most of us I love to find a bargain watch whether at a boot sale,online or in a flea market - today though it was not to be.
Instead I found myself rummaging through a pile of old early 1950`s copies of a long defunct large format magazine aimed at the movers and shakers,the well travelled and the well -monied of the day - "The Illustrated London News "
As I flicked through them I noticed that they had some great old adverts -some even full page,full colour ones.
I was obviously on the loookout for watch ads but there were some great other ones too.
Thought I`d do a few quick scans/pics to share a few.

View attachment vint Rolex Ad.jpg Scan.jpg Scan0003.jpg View attachment Scan0004.jpg Scan0001.jpg

I know there are a few fellow WUS members who have a great collection of either jpeg files or original paper copies and I think the can be both a great source of info for original prices,straps, case options etc but many are mini works of art -so can merit a frame and wallspace-though probably not in the living room.
Some great old car/boat/aircraft too

IMG_20170611_190534714.jpg IMG_20170611_190518194_HDR.jpg IMG_20170611_190427727.jpg IMG_20170611_194953851.jpg

Many of these old magazines/newspapers can be picked up for peanuts ..and they never need a service or replacement strap.
You may have to be content with them brightening up a garage or shed though if permission is denied indoors :0)

If you don`t discover that bargain watch settle for a few adverts and you have money left over for a beer and a pub lunch !

November/December editions are particularly good as the watch makers are popping in their Christmas gift ads.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Re: A Few Fice Finds at a Car Boot Sale Today..

My university had bound collections of LIN and each week during WWI they had a list of the war dead. It only showed officers but it still went on for pages.

Chad

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Wow, those are great! When I was younger working as an artist for newspaper's and different corporations, I worked with a lot of folks that did product illustration like that. I even had a full semester of product illustration in art school myself. I love looking at those types of drawings and paintings.. it's a lost art! Ron

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts

very cool vintage ads, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I think the artwork is tremendous..I`ve noticed the 1950`s style in particular has been revived for use on humourous birthday and greetings cards in the U.K.
I had no Idea that the LIN went as far back as WW1 either- I might look for earlier copies to try to re-discover long lost brands

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Great stuff simpletreasures-unless some people are collecting or achiving these online or at least saving the hard copies they may vanish from the general public and become the preserve of libraries/universities or museums which don`t always have digital access to us-the great unwashed :0)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts