WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have browsed this site many many times,
but only signed up when I needed to get a new digital watch.
Of course I didn't know until I joined up that I actually needed say five of them.h

:-!

Anyway, you g-shock guys (members and mods) are seriously friendly and helpful.
I think it may go with the brand.

I'm interested to know what got you interested in G's and also whether you have any other hobbies which you consider minority.

I can answer very quickly that this forum and you guys sparked my interest in G's and as to other interests I keep tropical fish and referee rugby matches:)

Anyway, mainly I wanted to comment on how friendly this part of the site is,
But also curious to know how and even why you became a fan of G shocks.

I hope this is legible - posted from mobile device.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My 'hobbies':
Watches
Knives
Flashlights
RC Vehicles
Computers
Guns
and many smaller ones.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I have browsed this site many many times, but only signed up when I needed to get a new digital watch. Of course I didn't know until I joined up that I actually needed say five of them.
Pretty much how I started. In my case, I hadn't been paying attention to developments like solar power and atomic sync. When I found out what had been going on, I had to have one. My collection was soon at around a dozen, but having sampled many I found I didn't need many, and went into reverse. I also went into reverse with solar power and atomic sync, which I can now take or leave.

My other minority interest would have to be jazz. I've been a collector and 'tiny detail rememberer' in that field too, but have also got that under better control.

My wife turned to me one day and said, 'You read catalogues. I've never known anyone to spend a whole evening reading catalogues.' I don't know if it was a jazz CD catalogue or a watch catalogue, but she was right - I did spend an awful lot of time reading catalogues. It's a male thing. ;-)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My wife turned to me one day and said, 'You read catalogues. I've never known anyone to spend a whole evening reading catalogues.' I don't know if it was a jazz CD catalogue or a watch catalogue, but she was right - I did spend an awful lot of time reading catalogues. It's a male thing. ;-)
I find myself doing this too :-d I also got in to G's because I wanted a solar/atomic watch, and soon found out that I wanted many. I found this site when I was looking for my first dive watch, though. As to my other hobbies, I do math (grad student), ski (ex-racer), play guitar hero (sadly, this is a big enough hobby to list :think:), play with computers, bike (mountain and road), and lots of other smaller things. And you're right about everyone here being helpful. I can't think of a better group of people that has helped me spend hundreds of dollars :-d Hey, at least it's not thousands...yet.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great replies guys.

I found this site initially when I was looking to buy myself a 'watch for life' kind of watch. Ended up with an omega - which I do really love, but which doesn't cut the mustard for pure, simple accuracy.

I've never been the type to compromise on form over function, so the highly accurate atomic time-keeping quartz movements and digital form factor appealed to me (I selected the particular omega because of its own interesting automatic movement).

I ended up buying a couple of very cheap digital workhorses, almost in protest at the price of the mechanical luxury brands (the area I work in is rife with rolexes and the like). The digi's wore out, and not for the first time I considered G Shock, then I remembered this forum (not all parts of it are as friendly as is this part)...and now I have a riseman, 1500 protrek, GW M5600BC and am awaiting delivery on a GW-2000. It was particularly great to find the GW-2000 as I now feel I have a digital and analogue option for the daily beater which will be really accurate.

I particularly like however that initially I was considering buying the tag heur digi-ana combo watch (aquaracer ?) which is really nice....but just the one watch, and for a few more quid than I spent on all four of the really interesting pieces I got ultimately.

So...this might be the first time anyone tells you guys that they saved them money :-!

And again - nice forum, nice people too and kudos for that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I always had a thing for casio watches. I remember as a kid in the '80s I had a databank watch that I kept for years. When the lug broke, I bought that watch with the 1/1000 sec stopwatch and the (detachable) piston so you can operate the stopwatch 1 handed. I still have that watch somewhere, but the alarm no longer works...

I remember it was the mid '90s when they started selling G-shocks in my area. I bought a Dw-9000 in about 1998. Fine watch, very accurate. Chucked it when a battery change went wrong and had a module failure a couple of months after the change - i think it must've got wet, even though I had told them to re-seal it.

Nevermind. I bought a mudman last year, found this website, then bought a spike lee DW 5000, which is awesome!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
a few other hobbies include:

-comicbooks
-4X4s
-scale model building
-beer bottles ( whenever we get the chance to travel, I make sure to sample the local brew and search for a few more that I dont normally find in my home country.)

I empty each, then store the bottles after.

And yeah, I've had my fair share of odd looks from airport/baggage inspectors.:-d;-)

And why G-Shocks? Well IMO most are chunky,rugged and durable. Just the way I like 'em!:-! Strange thing was,like several here.. there was actually a time when I favored the Rolexes,Omegas and Tags but later on found out that it just wasnt me.:)|>

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
my other interests..

RC's (collection and runners)
DJing
G-Shocks obviously..

i learned of this site through google because of wanting to know more about a watch i wanted when i was a mere sprog.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The major attraction of the G is that it is the real thing. Expensive mech divers have huge heavy cases and look tough - but drop one from the top shelf of your locker, and the chances are that it will be nothing but a percussion instrument. The G is one of the few tool watches that isn't a fake. It has a genuine history of being used for wild deeds and in tough situations because is the best choice.

Other things I do for fun: read a LOT, walk in the woods, exercise, play with my cats.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
my other interests..

RC's (collection and runners)
If I can't run mine, I do not want them. Made to be used is my mantra. For most everything.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My main interest is in watches. My first real watch that I got was ironically a Casio and I was about 10. I got it for x-mas from my aunt and it looked similar to this

That spurred my love of wristwatches.

For a long time that was my only real passion then at some point a lot later it went to Bicycles. I ended up running bike shops for about 5 years and then went back to corporate america and the computer.

so I guess it would go as follows

1. watches
2. bicycles
3. jazz
4. running
5. cooking/eating mmmmm.... food

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I am interested in

- martial arts (ju jutsu)
- running
- swimming
- fitness in general
- shooting (IPSC)
- biking (MTB)
- playing with my dog (german shepherd mix)
- playing paintball (though its quite a time ago)
- outdoor activities
- computer gaming

so I think g-shock's are a logical choice for me. but the reason why i came to the casio brand is, that my trusted sinn 142 ss black....

....about 5 years ago didn't work correctly anymore and i was too cheap to let it fix back then. so i was looking for another black, yet inexpensive watch and the only one i could find for my liking was a G-100 and that's how my journey to insanity started...o|:-d

regards, holger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts