WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and by extension, ball watches ;-) pics were taken last night, friend of mine brought over a digital camera with a longer exposure than i could do with my point and shoot, pretty pleased with how they turned out :) strangely, the second hand showed up in none of the photos however :-s

personally like the first one a little bit better, but like how they both turned out. next time i'll shorten the exposure a bit, we were really just experimenting with the camera.

also snapped a pic of my traser for comparison ;-)

anyway, just figured i'd share :)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I don't know - so far I'm pretty underwhelmed with my Traser, my first tritium. Doesn't seem very bright, but I guess it lasts longer than painted lume. :think:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I don't know - so far I'm pretty underwhelmed with my Traser, my first tritium. Doesn't seem very bright, but I guess it lasts longer than painted lume. :think:
There are different levels of tritium tubes, I believe Ball uses some of the highest rated while brands like Luminox, Traser and others use a lower rated tube. If you search around the forums you might a thread on this.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Ah - live and learn! Thanks, I didn't know this, fell for the Traser hype I guess. Nice watch anyway though...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Very cool pics! Thanks :-!

I bought a KHS Missiontimer about a year ago. Very happy with it! Went for the version with "green tubes". But the blue one is kind of growing to me...

Take care
Clemi

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are different levels of tritium tubes, I believe Ball uses some of the highest rated while brands like Luminox, Traser and others use a lower rated tube. If you search around the forums you might a thread on this.
Ah - live and learn! Thanks, I didn't know this, fell for the Traser hype I guess. Nice watch anyway though...
i've been very pleased with my traser. it's running ~+9 seconds daily and not quite the same build quality as my ball, but at a quarter of the price... it is very durable, fairly attractive and the tritium tubes are bright enough to be seen in low or no-light conditions. haven't seen any hype around the traser watches and the few other classic auto owners i've spoken with on the forums here have also been pleased with their purchase.

ball does indeed use the highest quality of tubes, definitely better than the traser tubes. they also use 3x the tubes... the glow coming off my ball at night is incredible, it has a veritable aura ;-)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadn't realize there is tritium on the date.....way cool :-!
i believe it's the only watch with an illuminated date, definitely the only one in the ball line but i haven't seen any other watches with one from any other manufacturers either.

the tritium tubes are actually back-lighting the 12, 3, 6 and date. i believe there are 5-6 tubes behind each one, for a total of 34 tubes used on this watch... 8 at the hour markers not numerals, 1 additional orange one at 12 o'clock, one on each of the minute, second and hour hands for a total of 12... and ball states there are 34 used on this watch :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool pics! Thanks :-!

I bought a KHS Missiontimer about a year ago. Very happy with it! Went for the version with "green tubes". But the blue one is kind of growing to me...

Take care
Clemi
thanks for the kind words :) khs was on my list as well as a work watch, ultimately i chose the traser since i believe all the khs watches were a bit larger than 42mm, which is about as large as i prefer.

feel free to post a pic, lume or not of the khs tho, always interested in what other folks are wearing :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thought i'd add in a few pics of how the watches look when not illuminated:

other pics available upon request ;-)

·
Registered
382 Posts
feel free to post a pic, lume or not of the khs tho, always interested in what other folks are wearing :)
You're right, the Missiontimers are 42mm in diameter. As I have rather large wrists, it wears small in my case. Unfortunately I didn't do a lume shot yet, but here's my KHS in daylight:

Take care
Clemi

·
Registered
236 Posts
The second hand did not show because it was too dim and moving too fast to register on the ccd.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The second hand did not show because it was too dim and moving too fast to register on the ccd.
makes sense, altho i suspect it was due more to moving too fast and less to the dimness... altho the tube is smaller, it is basically as bright as any other illumination on the watch.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right, the Missiontimers are 42mm in diameter. As I have rather large wrists, it wears small in my case. Unfortunately I didn't do a lume shot yet, but here's my KHS in daylight:

Take care
Clemi
nice looking watch! i thought they were even larger than that, 45mm give or take. 42mm is about my limit, perhaps i'll have to revisit them when the time comes to replace my traser ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts