WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Picked this up off da'Bay for a song from a seller in the UK. Arrived today.

Cool in a geeky 1970's sort of vibe. Any thoughts folks?

Clasp

Shirt-sleeve

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
nice find, though i wonder how much those went for originally, and how comparable they were to other digital chronograph, i.e. casio, timex etc...

do the hustle!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Nice find. Doesn't matter what it looks like it's an OMEGA..... :)

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Nice pickup!!

These are hard to find in decent shape...

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
the only way that could be any cooler is if it had a calculator!

nice pickup

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
:-! It looks in excellent condition !

Mine says hi !

:)

Hello all,

Picked this up off da'Bay for a song from a seller in the UK. Arrived today.

Cool in a geeky 1970's sort of vibe. Any thoughts folks?

Clasp

Shirt-sleeve

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks to be in good shape. Do all functions work?

Nice catch |>
Yes all the chrono functions work perfectly. The only small flaw is the chip/crack on the lower left of the glass face. For now I'll leave it be.

Funniest things was my wife's question, "Did you pay more than $20 USD for that ugly thing?":-d

Mrs. WiscOmega has long since given up on trying to understand my fascination with watches... though she's wearing the Omega Ladies Seamaster that I gave her for her birthday last year.

Ciao,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Haha that's one weird looking Omega there!!!
Looks like made by Casio or something :-!
Very funky indeed! and cool too in some weird way b-)
Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Haha that's one weird looking Omega there!!!
Looks like made by Casio or something :-!
Very funky indeed! and cool too in some weird way b-)
Wear it in good health!
Curiously the display looks almost identical to the Seiko digital watch I used to own many many many years ago. I wonder who made the guts for Omega? I can't imagine they actually manufactured digital watch parts.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's got a face only its mother could love :-d

Honestly, that looks like a cheapo LCD watch slapped with an Omega 'crystal' and the Speedmaster moniker.

Can't imagine Omega was actually manufacturing those themselves (as opposed to a sub-contractor)? Or were they? :-x

·
Registered
365 Posts
Curiously the display looks almost identical to the Seiko digital watch I used to own many many many years ago. I wonder who made the guts for Omega? I can't imagine they actually manufactured digital watch parts.
That would be highly interesting to know indeed!
Anyone knows?

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
That would be highly interesting to know indeed!
Anyone knows?
A really interesting article on the "almost forgotten Speedy" ;-)

http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0010

" (…)

They were manufactured only for 1 year, in 1977. The movement is an Omega cal. 1620, developed by Omega and SSIH (later to become SMH -see * below). Although it has only basic functions by today's standards, it is nevertheless still a very accurate watch, capable of 0.15 seconds per day, or 5 seconds per month. This is better than a lot of quartz watches available even now. The very good accuracy is due to the high quality quartz resonator used, manufactured in-house by SSIH.
(…)
The Integrated Circuit and Liquid Crystal Display used in the electronic module were manufactured by EM Microelectronic-Marin SA, a subsidiary company of Esa (Ebauches SA), or as we now know them, Eta. (…)"

·
Registered
365 Posts
Splendid article! Merci!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am quite jealous, sir. It reminds me of the flashier watches from my youth. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay? regards, SF

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
Splendid article! Merci!
De rien ;-)

I am quite jealous, sir. It reminds me of the flashier watches from my youth. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay? regards, SF
I Can't answer for wiscomega, but mine belonged to one of my uncles… I inherited the watch quite recently, and brought it back to life after a rather slow process (mainly cleaning and finding the batteries, then an extension clasp for the buckle).

The whole story is here :
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=229463&highlight=speedmaster+lcd+1977

The watch may not have much financial value, but it has a great sentimental value for me.
My uncle died at 41, I've known him all my life but we weren't that close… the strangest thing is we talked about sci-fi the last week-end I saw him, a few days before he died. I would never have suspected we had so much in common… he was a big fan of Star Wars, Isaac Asimov, Van Vogt… and I didn't know that :-(
Funny how we can spend so much time near people without really knowing them.

Well, anyway, last year I recovered the watch because people in my family knew I had this thing for watches… and then began the resurrecting process.
I must say, apart the "scar issue", I'm pretty happy with the result.

And because marketing is everything nowadays, I baptised the watch "scarface" and try to convince me it's a limited edition ;-) and I deal with it.
Maybe one day I'll order a new glass, but I prefer keeping things the way they are… :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Reno - That is a lovely story, if a little sad.

I was bornin 1977, and I quite like the idea of owning a watch that was 'born' the same year as me...

Any ideas what I should be paying for one of these watches?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
This Speedmaster LCD just ended on the Bay
here

$138 :-!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts