WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-Shock Automatic: a great idea or a sellout of their core values?

• Yes, I’d seriously consider buying a G automatic

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • No, I’d never want such an absurd thing on my wrist.

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Why even ask?

Votes: 22 23.7%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you imagine a universe where the minds at Casio decided to place an automatic movement in one of their models (Casioak?) Would you be interested in such a beast, or abandon the brand entirely for forgetting their ethos of tough, reliable watches that can withstand anything? Could you image driving a truck over an automatic G-Shock?!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I seen dive watch with lower water resistance than dress watch, so why not? I think I would seriously consider if the price is not too crazy.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
First, it might be challenging to achieve, having an automatic watch passing all those tests required before they call it a G.

Second, I personally never wanted that, and would never want that. It takes away a lot of the most loved features of a G: accurate, feature-packed, rugged, care-free, etc. But that's just me, I'm never a mechanical fan.

If you want an auto, just get an auto.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
none senses
you should not be allowed to create anything in this F17 forum for a month or something

·
Registered
278 Posts
Could you imagine a universe where the minds at Casio decided to place an automatic movement in one of their models (Casioak?) Would you be interested in such a beast, or abandon the brand entirely for forgetting their ethos of tough, reliable watches that can withstand anything? Could you image driving a truck over an automatic G-Shock?!
Hi Freudian,

Here we go I guess. I was the first to vote and cast the "yes" for an automatic. I'm going to try to stay non-confrontational about the whole thing and just kind of put some random thoughts out there.

Yes, I can imagine a universe with a Casio branded automatic movement running my wrist adornment. Why not? Its just another way of having the engine drive the wheels, data, digits, etc. I don't see why it would necessarily have to be less reliable than the current models, some of which are G-Shock, Shock Resist, Water Resist, Magnetic Resist, Gravity Resist, Altitude Resist, Puppy Resist (unless eaten), and ex-significant other resist (maybe).

Gee, if we can remotely crash land and fly a helicopter around Mars from a gazillion miles away, certainly we can make a reliable automatic timepiece that can withstand a couple of tons of rampant truck. Consider too that every time a jet jock puts a fighter jet down on the deck of an aircraft carrier its a controlled crash, and the airplane gets refueled and does the same controlled crash over and over again.

For me though, I personally prefer Tough Solar, defended by G-Shock coupled with Shock Resist, but I wouldn't say no to an Automatic just because its automatic, and here once again is the caveat: "As long as it is built to the same reliability standards as current Gs".

I hope some other folks weigh in on this too.

Best Always,
🍀
Celtic

·
Registered
595 Posts
Casio has ruined my interest in automatics completely if I'm honest. They're not much more then novelty items to me now, the inaccurate bastards (the ones I can afford anyways, lol).

Even regular quartz is loosing my interest unless perhaps it has a perpetual calendar, solar/atomic is where it is at for me these days.

I doubt it'll ever happen anyway, since Casio always was an electronics company before a watch company.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Could you imagine a universe where the minds at Casio decided to place an automatic movement in one of their models (Casioak? Would you be interested in such a beast, or abandon the brand entirely for forgetting their ethos of tough, reliable watches that can withstand anything?
I'd like to separate two notions here.

• Mechanicals movement, and even more automatics are weak to shocks. If the shock gets applied the wrong way, at the wrong moment, with enough force, what would barely affect the case could damage or even kill a mechanical movement. Browse the forum and you'll see reports of members having a rotor become worryingly noisy after playing tennis once, or even killing it altogether while golfing. Hence the concept of a shock resistant watch is in fact contrary to it having an automatic movement. Quartz movements however have much fewer gears, which can be spaced enough to absorb some impacts, and so alongside pure electronics are the real deal when it comes to shock resistant watches.

• However, it's not because a concept seems illogical that it couldn't be sold. People might like the look of it anyway. And so, if it can sell, it will be made. We've got the example of the mechanical INOX featuring a shock resistant case hosting a shock vulnerable movement. Yet, you will notice that contrary to the other (quartz) INOX, Victorinox doesn't claim those having survived to 130 extreme durability tests. Because they just aren't shock resistant anymore. ;)

Gee, if we can remotely crash land and fly a helicopter around Mars from a gazillion miles away, certainly we can make a reliable automatic timepiece that can withstand a couple of tons of rampant truck.
Provided you have the funds, you could do a lot of things. However, money can't easily bend the laws of physics. And people might not be able to afford a watch that's the cost of a Mars drone.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I actually disagree whole heartedly. Tech has come a long way. There are bullet proof movements out there that would hardly be bothered by even extreme use. Think of a very basic movement such as a skx007 movement. Simple and basic.

The fact is it's more about the case than what's inside. If the case can get run over by a truck then so can the movement. If the case cracks being run over by a truck than the lcd will fail batteries will pop etc.

that being said I can't say I'd be overly interested personally.

I do however think entirely too much emphasis is put on automatic being expensive, fancy, and delicate. There are plenty basic movements that could be used that are very reliable and very low maintenance all at a low cost.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
oh look

·
Registered
931 Posts
Vostok Amfibiya. There's a vid of one finally failing to water pressure of around 700 m. The wobbly crown is mechanically detached from the movement when it's screwed in. Probably still not quite as shock resistant as a G-Shock, but I have dropped some of mine onto a hardwood floor a few times, shrugged and strapped it onto my wrist. I took it for granted that they would still be working. They were. And on balance, they keep better time than my mechanical S*ikos. In my book, they ARE what a mechanical G-Shock would be.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are already some out there priced from USD $500 through $2000 and they are from well-respected makers. I would think that with Casio's resources and expertise they could bring one to market for significantly less $.

Some current examples of ISO 1413 certified watches:

Seaholm Rover < $1900, Triple shock resistant to industry standard ISO 1413

Ball Engineer $2K

Alsta Nautoscaph Superautomatic < $900

Orient M-Force 200M Diver EL07 < $500

·
Registered
66 Posts
... and to be winded up the watch has to be hit several times with a hammer or thrown from at least the second floor. :D

I don't want to offend anyone but this is the image that came to my mind :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
There are already some out there priced from USD $500 through $2000 and they are from well-respected makers. I would think that with Casio's resources and expertise they could bring one to market for significantly less $.

Some current examples of ISO 1413 certified watches:

Seaholm Rover < $1900, Triple shock resistant to industry standard ISO 1413

Ball Engineer $2K

Alsta Nautoscaph Superautomatic < $900

Orient M-Force 200M Diver EL07 < $500
Actually, G Shock standards are far superior to ISO standards. ISO as far as I know requires a watch to pass a shock resistance test that essentially is the equivalent of a 1 meter drop onto a hardwood floor and still be able to keep time within one minute over a 24 hour period, so even at triple, it still doesn't even come close to a G-Shock's 10 meters (to be fair, more than necessary and an auto that can survive a 2-3 meter drop is good enough for me). Sorry, I'm not jumping on you and I'm a fan of both auto and quartz, but my point is an auto cannot compete with Casio in this regard, nor do I expect them to. I love autos for what they are and G-Shocks for what they are, and I don't need Casio to be something it is not; I just prefer them to continue to push the boundaries in their area of expertise that I trust and love them for.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As other posters have pointed out, there are already companies/brands that have developed (relatively) tough mechanical watches. Casio is an electronics firm, so it's more natural for them to develop tough electronic watches...

Victorinox could release an automatic INOX because Victorinox has never made their own movements. A quartz INOX is a Ronda movement in the fattest stainless steel case Victorinox can make; an automatic INOX is the same, but with a third-party mechanical movement in place of the Ronda quartz.

Ball has a whole line of automatics with (1) tiny gas tubes for lume (same as Luminox), and (2) their own shock resistant design. I think Ball uses third-party Swiss movements, as well.

If Casio sold an automatic G-Shock, they'd have to get the movement from somewhere--from Seiko? That would be a big change from using their own, in-house movements for all of their other watches.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Honestly, can it be done at a reasonable price point? My experience trying to wear an automatic for golf makes me skeptical an automatic would have the right shock/movement resistance to damage.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great idea. I have one too, an armored car with a convertible top for those nice sunny days.
Don't laugh, but I wouldn't put it past a Mexican drug lord to have a bullet proof Mustang convertible.
With a gold wrap (to match his 38 super), of course.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just here to point out that rolling a truck over a watch case is not as big of a deal as you think. The watch isn't supporting the whole weight of the truck. This has been discussed before, but, yeah. It's a publicity stunt that impresses people without a nuanced understanding of the physics involved.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts