WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-Shock Automatic: a great idea or a sellout of their core values?

• Yes, I’d seriously consider buying a G automatic

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • No, I’d never want such an absurd thing on my wrist.

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Why even ask?

Votes: 22 23.7%
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't want an auto G shock unless it was as tough as a G shock is supposed to be. But if the materials science wizards at Casio could make it happen for anything like reasonable money, I'm down.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Automatic G-Shock?

It exists.

Orient M Force!

Here is the new in black. Price is also in Casio's range.

Especially their old Beast on the second screen capture.

Envoyé de mon SM-G985F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had nearly bought automatic Seiko, many of them are beatifully designed, but in the end automatics are too troublesome to maintain, not to mention the annual services required

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wouldn't buy it but totally fine with it as long as they keep producing the watches I like 🙂

EDIT: I would actually be interested in seeing how they tackle the problem !

Reactions: Racer88

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
In some cases, the wind.

In some cases, the sun.

In some cases, splitting atoms.

In every other case, something much more efficient than an ICE.

As for automatic G-Shocks - I'd say, why not?
In the U.S. 2/3rds comes from burning "fossil" fuels (coal and natural gas). Very little comes from rainbows and unicorn farts. Only 20% (or is it 30? I forget) comes from nuclear (should be MUCH more, but there's an irrational stigma).

So, yeah... in most cases the e-cars are powered by fossil fuels. It's just that the exhaust pipe is in another location.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
I agree. Would be very interesting. But, yeah... I'd buy one in a second, if I liked the esthetics.
Same here. I'd also love to see Casio release a high quality quartz movement, similar to the Grand Seiko 9f. A '3 hander' from Casio with a 'top-notch' quartz movement would be interesting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
An automatic movement that can stand up to all of Casio's tests? I doubt that's possible, no matter the casing and suspension. Be interesting to see them try, and at what cost. But I still suspect the result would be a G-Sock with caveats, or a "G-Lite" in the worst sense which would dilute the brand. Maybe if they just called it an Edifice?

·
Registered
204 Posts
In some cases, the wind.

In some cases, the sun.

In some cases, splitting atoms.

In every other case, something much more efficient than an ICE.

As for automatic G-Shocks - I'd say, why not?
not from coal? bit of an oversight on your part, i'd say...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Same here. I'd also love to see Casio release a high quality quartz movement, similar to the Grand Seiko 9f. A '3 hander' from Casio with a 'top-notch' quartz movement would be interesting.
I'd be content with a solar quartz movement with smooth-moving seconds hand. I reckon it would be easier to develop than a shock-resistant mechanical movement.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
not from coal? bit of an oversight on your part, i'd say...
Your political agenda is showing. Try reading my post again.

Mountaineers Go First!! By the way, I LOVE fossil fuels. Coal, heavy oil, diesel, all that. I roll in it, baby. I roll that coal out the tailpipe of my two diesel Land Rovers. Turn that fuel mixture all the way up up up. Love those natural gas BTU's as well.

Electric cars for now and for the future. Electric cars forever. LiFePo is heaven. I love electric cars! Electric cars are awesome.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your political agenda is showing. Try reading my post again.

Mountaineers Go First!! By the way, I LOVE fossil fuels. Coal, heavy oil, diesel, all that. I roll in it, baby. I roll that coal out the tailpipe of my two diesel Land Rovers. Turn that fuel mixture all the way up up up.

Electric cars for now and for the future. Electric cars forever.
you missed the joke, man. sorry for offending you!

·
Registered
813 Posts
An automatic movement that can stand up to all of Casio's tests? I doubt that's possible, no matter the casing and suspension. Be interesting to see them try, and at what cost. But I still suspect the result would be a G-Sock with caveats, or a "G-Lite" in the worst sense which would dilute the brand. Maybe if they just called it an Edifice?
Whatever Casio's tests are, isn't the principle behind a G-Shock durability in tough environments?

If we'd all agree to that, then no single movement would have a monopoly for all use-cases, right?

For example: one way to protect quartz electronics against magnetic fields is an iron back plate that can conduct flux along the surface. An automatic movement on the other hand, especially one with a silica mainspring, would be mostly impervious to magnetic fields including an EMP due to, say, an exploding transformer, industrial equipment, a nearby lightning strike, etc.

Beyond the all-use-cases durability, would be the emotional aspect: if the G-Shock principle is the toughest watch you can own, then given automatic & spring drive would be that other two movements that G-Shock doesn't make ...

Said differently, wouldn't "G-Shock Automatic: The toughest automatic timepiece money can buy" be a no-brainer adjacency to their existing products?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Whatever Casio's tests are, isn't the principle behind a G-Shock durability in tough environments?

If we'd all agree to that, then no single movement would have a monopoly for all use-cases, right?

For example: one way to protect quartz electronics against magnetic fields is an iron back plate that can conduct flux along the surface. An automatic movement on the other hand, especially one with a silica mainspring, would be mostly impervious to magnetic fields including an EMP due to, say, an exploding transformer, industrial equipment, a nearby lightning strike, etc.

Beyond the all-use-cases durability, would be the emotional aspect: if the G-Shock principle is the toughest watch you can own, then given automatic & spring drive would be that other two movements that G-Shock doesn't make ...

Said differently, wouldn't "G-Shock Automatic: The toughest automatic timepiece money can buy" be a no-brainer adjacency to their existing products?
Hmm, interesting philosophical question; What exactly makes a G-shock a G-shock? The big clue is in the name - Shock. Like hitting the watch with a hockey stick or dropping it out a third story window onto concrete. Exactly the sort of thing that will reliably scramble an assortment of tiny delicate pieces. That's why I hope that, if Casio ever does try an automatic, they call it something else.

Actually, I hope they don't. This is Casio Computer Company after all, and AFAIK they have never sold a non-electronic product. Which means they have zero corporate experience with mechanical things. Which does not bode well. Let them stick to what they are good at.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts