WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-Shock Automatic: a great idea or a sellout of their core values?

• Yes, I’d seriously consider buying a G automatic

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • No, I’d never want such an absurd thing on my wrist.

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Why even ask?

Votes: 22 23.7%
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I tot the swiss did come up with something like that. Inox ? They literally market it as extreme as gshock did. N the design is not so bad considering how generic that brand is.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Hmm, interesting philosophical question; What exactly makes a G-shock a G-shock? The big clue is in the name - Shock. Like hitting the watch with a hockey stick or dropping it out a third story window onto concrete. Exactly the sort of thing that will reliably scramble an assortment of tiny delicate pieces. That's why I hope that, if Casio ever does try an automatic, they call it something else.

Actually, I hope they don't. This is Casio Computer Company after all, and AFAIK they have never sold a non-electronic product. Which means they have zero corporate experience with mechanical things. Which does not bode well. Let them stick to what they are good at.
Well... if they fail, it might be called G-Schlock! 🤭

Rectangle Font Electric blue Brand Logo

·
Registered
813 Posts
INOX has a quartz movement (Ronda). The INOX automatics have no stated "shock resist" rating, as far as I know.
I have a Bathys Benthic TI with a quartz Ronda movement, and I've "shocked" it 1000 times - it's fallen at least 3 stories onto rocks, was banged so hard into a chain link fence post that it took a chunk of the metal in the post out, has been used for all manner of sports (batting, rackets, etc), and been running like a champ for a decade. I have zero shock complaints with the Ronda, at least in the Bathys Ti case.

With that said, before I had that watch, our house was struck by lightening and the EMP fried every electronic thing in the house: ovens & appliances, sprinkler system, all computers & electronics, ev.ry.thing. It also fried my g-shocks. Automatic watches were fine.

Thus I'd say if you want tough watches you should have a few types for different use-cases:

• Tough automatic like a Sinn U2 (tegimented DLC'd submarine steel, screwed on bezel, etc)
  • Tough multi-angle pressure resistant watch like maybe a Sinn UX (quartz, oil filled, readable at extreme angles)
  • G-shock

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
I honestly have no interest in a g-shock automatic. I have plenty of other autos. I'm fine if Casio sticks to their g-shock tradition of quartz.

I had seen the INOX automatics also. Don't recall if they are marketed to be as "tough" as the quartz versions or not. (of which I have two)

Reactions: BinomialSpider

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
My G-Shock automatically receives a radio signal each night to automatically adjust to the correct time, it automatically charges it's battery with available ight, it automatically goes to sleep. automatically wakes up, automatically senses the temperature and barometric pressure and altitude, it automatically displays the correct day and date of the month every month, it automatically adjusts for leap years and daylight savings time. It is the most automatic watch I have ever had not to be confused with a self winding mechanical that just can't offer all those automatic features and never will. It has mechanical gears and motors that operate each hand independently, precisely yet the hands do not fall off and can correct automatically if shocked out of position. Anything less would be step backward for the brand.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Part of what I expect from my G-Shocks is not only toughness, but quartz accuracy (preferably solar) -- in other words, total grab-and-go. (I would be seriously tempted by a HAQ G, if toughness were not compromised.) Besides, a mechanical movement would be hopelessly out of character for a G-Shock, in my opinion.

Mechanical movements are irretrievably fragile. Yes, even the self-styled "tool" watches.
I assume that you're using "fragile" in a relative sense. Because I've worn my mechanicals in all sorts of sub-optimal conditions and never had one go wrong. Can you give an example of when fragility would become a real consideration? For example, would you mow the lawn wearing an automatic but not play golf? I've certainly done the equivalent of mowing the lawn, or worse, without any mishap. Inquiring minds....

Reactions: GrussGott

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mechanical movements are irretrievably fragile. Yes, even the self-styled "tool" watches.
I've worn my mechanicals in all sorts of sub-optimal conditions and never had one go wrong. Can you give an example of when fragility would become a real consideration?
Exactly - I'd put my Sinn U2 up against a G-Shock, so the question is, what scenario would the Sinn U2 fail but the G-shock wouldn't?

Because I can say for a fact that in an EMP the G-shock will fail, but the Sinn won't.

All of that said, the Sinn U2 costs 10x more than a decent G-shock.

The correct answer here seems to be the right tool for the job.

Casio could absolutely source Miyota Japanese automatic movements (or ETA or Sellita) and put them into their cases for the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Well, I'd say an EMP from lightening is type of shock wouldn't you? My g-shocks didn't survive that shock, but my automatics did.

Electrical shock is a shock.

QED.
this isnt the matrix, youre not fighting off sentinels with regular emp blasts 🤣 how many times have you been struck by lightning?

a shock is also to be frightened, i walked in on all my Gs sleeping this morning and screamed at them, not one of them got startled and the solars stayed sleeping.
tried to do the same to a work colleagues automatic but it was already terrified of its own shadow. i knew if i did it would push it over the proverbial and physical edge and the last thing i want to hear is him telling me about how it needs to be serviced again 😩

·
Registered
813 Posts
this isnt the matrix, youre not fighting off sentinels with regular emp blasts 🤣 how many times have you been struck by lightning?
Dude, think things through before going smartasss:

Electrical line workers,
Factory / heavy industrial equipment workers,
Engineers working around high voltage electrical stuff like, say, for electric cars - hey those are becoming popular these days!
Anybody who works around transformers ...

Just a few examples of people who work around electrical equip dumping out high flux and capable of pumping out low or high power EMPs - the lightning example was purely an example of a high power EMP.

And to answer your question, I've had G-shocks killed by EMPs 3 times: once by lightning, once by by a residential transformer that exploded, and once by aircraft powerplant test cell. I also had a Swatch get fried by a some hobbyist electrical stuff I was messing with. It's safer to have a plastic disposable watch like a g-shock than a hunk of metal, but the downside is, they can (and do) get fried.

As it turns out, electromagnetism is a pretty common phenomena! So basically you're a G-Shock guy who doesn't understand many of the use-cases of the watches you like.

Oh, I almost forgot: 🤣

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
I have a Bathys Benthic TI with a quartz Ronda movement, and I've "shocked" it 1000 times - it's fallen at least 3 stories onto rocks, was banged so hard into a chain link fence post that it took a chunk of the metal in the post out, has been used for all manner of sports (batting, rackets, etc), and been running like a champ for a decade. I have zero shock complaints with the Ronda, at least in the Bathys Ti case.
Of what I can tell about the quartz Inox is there is nothing special about it. The movement is standard, off-the-shelf. The movement holder/ring and case are nothing special. I'm not disputing the claims they make about the toughness, but there is nothing special, unique or proprietary about the construction of it. The conclusion I've come to is other watches are way tougher than we give them credit for. I don't see why your Bathys couldn't stand up anything the Inox could.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Of what I can tell about the quartz Inox is there is nothing special about it. The movement is standard, off-the-shelf. The movement holder/ring and case are nothing special. I'm not disputing the claims they make about the toughness, but there is nothing special, unique or proprietary about the construction of it. The conclusion I've come to is other watches are way tougher than we give them credit for. I don't see why your Bathys couldn't stand up anything the Inox could.
i have the INOX Carbon, and from my understanding the Rhonda is a plain, run of the mill quartz and Sellita SW-200 in the mechanical version. i'm sure a hard enough knock will ruin either movement. same thing for the Marathon watches.... if you really are that tough on watches, stick with the g-shocks.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
really not surprised you missed the joke as well! (making coal-fired cars is what tesla does--why does this offend people so?)
Nose Cheek Chin Eye Vision care

😂
lol if thats what you want to call it, sounds more like being pedantic just for a little troll cos if you follow that kind of vexing logic, other car companies make dinosaur powered cars or if youre religious theyre powered by god 🙄

why do ppl say someone is offended just cos they mentioned teslas or alternate power? no one is offended, least not me, im not a fan of electric cars (or autos if you want to go that far) and i dont believe in most of what musk does but im not going to cry "why you so offended" or nonsense like burning coal and burning fuel is the exact same thing when someone mentions alternative power. now if youll excuse me, i need to top up the water cooler on my coal fired phone 🙄

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Dude, think things through before going smartasss:

Electrical line workers,
Factory / heavy industrial equipment workers,
Engineers working around high voltage electrical stuff like, say, for electric cars - hey those are becoming popular these days!
Anybody who works around transformers ...

Just a few examples of people who work around electrical equip dumping out high flux and capable of pumping out low or high power EMPs - the lightning example was purely an example of a high power EMP.

And to answer your question, I've had G-shocks killed by EMPs 3 times: once by lightning, once by by a residential transformer that exploded, and once by aircraft powerplant test cell. I also had a Swatch get fried by a some hobbyist electrical stuff I was messing with. It's safer to have a plastic disposable watch like a g-shock than a hunk of metal, but the downside is, they can (and do) get fried.

As it turns out, electromagnetism is a pretty common phenomena! So basically you're a G-Shock guy who doesn't understand many of the use-cases of the watches you like.

Oh, I almost forgot: 🤣
common compared to what? compared to millions of G wearers that have never been struck by lightning? id say its pretty UNcommon. im quite an avid reader of this forum and over the decade ive been on here i dont recall anyone ever mentioning getting struck by lightning (lightning yellow colourway maybe) or any kind of emp destroying their G, youre the only one. basically youre the emp guy that doesnt know what common means 😉

so, if you like something youre expected to know every situation someone else might use it in and what happens to it during rare incidents in niche fields??
" 🤣" indeed 😂

seriously tho, i just wanted to throw in that matrix line, im excited for the new movie 😃👍

·
Registered
204 Posts
View attachment 16173979
😂
lol if thats what you want to call it, sounds more like being pedantic just for a little troll cos if you follow that kind of vexing logic, other car companies make dinosaur powered cars or if youre religious theyre powered by god 🙄

why do ppl say someone is offended just cos they mentioned teslas or alternate power? no one is offended, least not me, im not a fan of electric cars (or autos if you want to go that far) and i dont believe in most of what musk does but im not going to cry "why you so offended" or nonsense like burning coal and burning fuel is the exact same thing when someone mentions alternative power. now if youll excuse me, i need to top up the water cooler on my coal fired phone 🙄
as the periodic attempts by this forum to discuss "TOUGH SOLAR" have shown, on this forum electricity is a topic both difficult and controversial. probably best not to bring it up!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts